Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2011, 08:38   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Fuel Bladder Placement

Fifty gallons of diesel weighs in at about 358 lbs and I can guaranty you that you don't want a bladder that weighs in at that much rolling around on your fore-deck and it will roll in any sea, I can guaranty you of that. Moreover, the warnings on most bladder tanks stipulate that the tabs are not sufficient to secure the tank when filled, which should be installed in a secure enclosure free of chafe.

Your Morris is fitted with a 75 gallon tank of which at least 70 gallons is usable. The typical engine for that yacht was a 56 hp Yanmar the burns roughly a gallon an hour and should give you about 6 knots on your water-line. You might want to carry a couple of jerry jugs of spare fuel, which can be lashed to 2x6's fastened vertically between two of your stanchions on each side of the yacht just aft of amidships (and they'll be protected to some extent by the bulworks) but beyond that you really shouldn't need much more fuel than that for the trip--and surely not 50 gallons. After all, it is only 1500+/- miles.

Before we bought our current boat, we had occassion to inspect an Oceanis 411 in Palm Beach that had once been fitted with a 50 gallon bladder tank in the cock-pit for an intended trip to the Bahamas. The family got into the Gulf Stream where the thing managed to break it's lashings and get thrown around enough that it tore out several of the stanchions and made it impossible to free the lee sheet. They eventually made it back to the coast and into Jupiter Inlet where the wife quit the boat, vowing never-to-return--hence the sale offering. We passed.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 15:57   #17

Boat: Martzcraft 35 ft ketch, Masquerade

I am very interested in this thread as I am just this moment investigating getting a 250 litre fuel bladder for my boat. I certainly don't think the above deck solution is a good idea. I have some space below the aft double bed and am looking at reinforcing the area and lining it to prevent chafing and then working out how to fix it in a way to prevent movement. My ideal configuration would then be to install a fuel transfer pump to pump directly into the main tank.
Anny suggestions for brands of bladders and pumps would be appreciated.
Colin
Old 04-11-2012, 17:55   #18
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

I am the original poster to this thread. We ended up placing the bladder on the cabin top between the mast and the dodger. I made six straps of nylon mesh and double D rings. We lashed it down tightly. we went thru some fairly rough weather. Most of the time we were sailing close hauled. At one point we had 20+ foot waves. Two of our party stayed sea sick about 3-4 days. we used lee clothes. With all this the bladder never move, tie downs never needed adjustment and was of no concern. We did empty it into the main tank as soon as we could and stored it below where it has stayed since. I had a hose to attach to the tank and gravity fed into the normal fuel filling point for the main tank.
All in all we could have easily done with out it. We were all working class with jobs and air tickets and needed to make time to get back to work (just under 9 days). As it turned out we did not use more than my tankage but almost. I think I am listed at 115 gallons but I only have about 95 usable. If we were to do a much longer trip I think it would be great. We did not use the water maker at all or generator at all.
I am rambling but I hope this helps a little. I did see several other boats with bladders and most on deck.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 18:01   #19

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

My concern would be filling a bladder below decks.

http://www.atlinc.com/pdfs/Auxillary...FlexManual.pdf

Marine Gas/Diesel Fuel Bladder Tanks and FueLockers for Extended Range

The pump can be an automotive fuel pump or a motor driven water pump">raw water pump with a nitrile impeller.
Old 05-11-2012, 04:40   #20
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

I have limited experience but in your case I would just put in a permanent additional fuel tank. You can use a bladder so it is collapsible and allows use of the space when not full of fuel.
I have a bow tank with a pump, filter and recirculating plumbing so I can essentially polish the fuel.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:02   #21

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36

Cheeck out www.turtlepac.com/ they make very heavy duty bladders for marine and aircraft applications. I have used them. The have big straps and are double walled. Lots of hold downs. Big fill tubes and valves on the ports.

Put it on deck as there are too many things in bilges to puncture a bladder.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 08:30   #22

Read this with interest. I am in a similar situation:
Flexible Fuel Bladders to Increase Range

Major difference for me is my tank is only 40 gallons. I'd need a whole rack of yellow cans to get to where I needed.
Old 17-01-2014, 18:17   #23

Boat: Valiant 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Cheeck out www.turtlepac.com/ they make very heavy duty bladders for marine and aircraft applications. I have used them. The have big straps and are double walled. Lots of hold downs. Big fill tubes and valves on the ports.

Put it on deck as there are too many things in bilges to puncture a bladder.
+1

I have one too.

A very well put together system designed by a circumnavigator.

Tags
fuel