Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 15:55   #76

Boat: Niagara 35
Re: Fortress Anchor in Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldJJames View Post
I'm sitting on a mooring right now with a short bridle 'cause the moorings are pretty close together. It's blowing 15-20 knots and I'm looking at all the mono hulls around me "sawing around". So now I'm curious why they do this? Can anyone shed light? They really look like they're sailing to windward, then coming up against the mooring line and "tacking". Could their hull shape be acting like a sail? Any other explanations?

And, yes I believe I'm using too short a bridle. Mine is 16' (on a 32'cat) and I'll increase to 32' next season.

Thanks again to everyone for your comments.
Most boats will turn stern to wind if given the choice (more windage in front of the center of lateral resistance). We should really all anchor from the stern, but all our boats are set up with the anchoring gear on the bow. The boat keeps trying to turn itself around and it "sails" at anchor.
cwyckham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 12:08   #77
cruiser

Boat: Slocum 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Most boats will turn stern to wind if given the choice (more windage in front of the center of lateral resistance). We should really all anchor from the stern, but all our boats are set up with the anchoring gear on the bow. The boat keeps trying to turn itself around and it "sails" at anchor.
I guess that wouldn't make a difference on a double ender? Never anchored my boat yet...

RT
vtcapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 12:22   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
I guess that wouldn't make a difference on a double ender? Never anchored my boat yet...

RT
Same problem on a double ender. It's not the pointiness that matters, it's the windage of the freeboard compared to the center of lateral resistance under the water. I would guess that pretty much all sailboats will have the same effect. Easiest test is just to drop sails and sit in open water and see which way the boat ends up facing.
Old 13-09-2012, 15:00   #79

It's more about the practicality of having the wind/rain blow through your companionway and the waves slapping your flat transom. A double-ender is more seaworthy while anchoring from the stern but you still have the problem with wind/spray.
snickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2012, 15:53   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickets View Post
It's more about the practicality of having the wind/rain blow through your companionway and the waves slapping your flat transom. A double-ender is more seaworthy while anchoring from the stern but you still have the problem with wind/spray.
excellent point
Old 13-09-2012, 16:01   #81
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldJJames View Post
Any other explanations?
Sailboats like to sail. Dropping an anchor doesn't change that.
Old 13-09-2012, 22:48   #82
Greg Kutsen

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ericson 38-200, 38 feet

I think what makes this conversation so difficult is that bottoms vary so drastically. What John calls soft mud in Chesapeake Bay may be completely different than what I see in Galveston Bay. Terms: Mud, Sand, Weeds are completely inadequate descriptors as they do not define 100's of different conditions encountered. After pulling anchors for a living for few years now, I am still surprised of how bottom conditions can change not only in close proximity but also with change of tide, salinity (and I have no idea what!) because test data changes from day to day in the same location. What we do know is that some anchor types are more reliable in their setting ability than others. Fortress if it can set is an excellent anchor choice and generally in softer bottoms is a clear winner. Rocna, Manson Supreme, Spade, Mantus offer a more reliable set. Even these guys will find their match eventually and mother nature will win! It is this setting reliability, i.e. knowing that when you will throw the anchor in the anchor will bite and hold that I think defines a good all around cruising anchor. Especially for an emergency (lost an engine getting blown on the rocks) the anchor needs to work. Having said that, I will always have a Fortress on board my vessel as the anchor to use in softer bottoms.

Greg
Mantus Anchors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 05:50   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwyckham View Post
Same problem on a double ender. It's not the pointiness that matters, it's the windage of the freeboard compared to the center of lateral resistance under the water. I would guess that pretty much all sailboats will have the same effect. Easiest test is just to drop sails and sit in open water and see which way the boat ends up facing.
Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try...

RT
Old 14-09-2012, 08:42   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcapo View Post
Thanks for the tip. I will give that a try...

RT
Sorry for the thread drift, but...

This is also a really important thing to get a feel for with your particular boat as it will make a huge difference docking in a cross wind. If you remember that the bow wants to be downwind, you can figure out whether to go forwards or backwards, for example, through a tight space, or to back away from a lee fuel dock in a breeze to get to deep water before you turn around.

You'll also need to experiment with your prop-walk for the same reason.
Old 14-09-2012, 09:44   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregKutsen View Post
I will always have a Fortress on board my vessel as the anchor to use in softer bottoms.

Greg
Coming from a man that makes and sells anchors I think this a strong recommendation. The bottom line (pun intended ) is that no anchor is the perfect choice for every situation. That's why I also carry a Fortress in addition to a Mantus anchor (thank you Greg) and will probably also keep my old 45 lb CQR as well.

I will use the Mantus as my primary, all around anchor but in some situations like deep soft sand or mud and a really hard blow I might go to the Fortress. In a rocky bottom I might use the CGR as the hinged shank might be stronger in case the anchor is jammed and can't shift with a changing wind or tide. Plus I wouldn't be as pi$$ed off if I lost the CQR.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2012, 12:30   #86
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickets View Post
Never thought of that. Thanks...

RT

Tags
anchor, fortress