Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2021, 09:39   #16

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: Cruising a different way in Seattle sound??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Huh? When did the "Boater education" thing start?

About 2011 or so, though it was phased in depending on age.
PNWSalmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:28   #17

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNWSalmon View Post
About 2011 or so, though it was phased in depending on age.

Interesting. It is only required in WA if your engine is over 15 hp and exempted if you are old. I have a card for OR and HI where it is required 10 hp+ and no age exemption. That is one reason why most recreational fishing boats use 9.9 hp kickers.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:35   #18

Boat: C-Dory, 22 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_pelagia View Post
By "PC" do you mean "politically correct"?

Actually, "Puget Sound" (as well as Georgia Strait, etc) remain "correct".

"Salish Sea" refers to the whole area (from top of Georgia Strait to Straits of Juan de Fuca to bottom of Puget Sound).

"Salish Sea" not really anything to do with political correctness... more a nod to historical and cultural (and perhaps even "sovereign") "correctness".
My apologies if I offended. The term can confuse, and in my experience its use can rub some people. People will typically be confused if you use this term outside the region, and even locals often don't know what it actually means. Hopefully, that will change over time. Yes, it is a good name tying an important region that includes two countries together.

The most important thing in navigation is that there be one name for one feature and that name be widely known. Increasingly names are being changed, like using Tahoma for Rainier, Denali for McKinley or Billy Frank for Nisqually. Often, the new names will confuse as they are not on all maps. Information, not offense, was my intent.

Salish is a very old native name (I'm sure the Salish didn't call it "Sea"), not appearing on older maps, and not widely used. It would have been nice if George Vancouver had used more native terms for important geographic features, and it would be nice if Salish Sea were on all maps. He didn't and it isn't.

So, for the original poster, welcome to our region. Right now the Canadian areas, which are absolutely fantastic, are closed. That may continue well into, or maybe even the rest of the summer. Hopefully not. Happy exploring.
Robhwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:42   #19

Boat: Sceptre 41

No offence taken at all.

Yeah, I wouldn't expect border to "open up" much before July, IF even by then. The "variants" as well as rate of vaccinations, and all that.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:45   #20

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

You can gunkhole in Gig Harbor with free mooring at the Tides Tavern or Anthony's docks while eating, both excellent. Anthony's has many docks throughout the Sound btw but it's pricey. There is also a GH town dock for about $1 a foot but you get electricity and hot showers. You can anchor in the harbor with a free courtesy dock for dinghys. There's also a free shuttle if covid allows.
I have sailed or kayaked to many of the State Parks but most require a dinghy and they are not near any services. But still worth it. The state parks with a land connection also generally have hot showers if there is camping there. Some state parks are islands with no amenities but there are mooring balls.
Some here have reinforced their motor boats bottom with kevlar so it's beachable.
Old 12-03-2021, 13:01   #21

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhwa View Post
Puget Sound/Salish Sea (PC) is a great place for cruising. If you want to moor rather than anchor I agree the Washington State permit can be a good deal. Depending on your draft and whether or not you want to go ashore much (there is lots to see) you might consider getting something to paddle from your boat to shore. I generally carry kayaks on my 22' C-Dory. They are perfect for getting a little exercise after you find a good anchorage. In popular places in summer you'll need to do that well before sunset, particularly at docks and state mooring buoys. Kayaks can go just about anywhere and handle some waves and wind as well. If you've paid for a mooring buoy you can attach your kayak to it to reserve it. I also have a neat little gem that can get me from anchor to shore, though minimally.

https://www.rei.com/product/867740/a...flatable-kayak

It weighs just a few pounds and packs so small you can slip it into a drawer. I use a 12 volt inflator/deflator which takes about a minute for each. You can also get more "worthy" inflatable kayaks that can carry more than one person and some gear.

Consider exploring the much quieter "South Sound" and Hood Canal some as well as more trafficked areas further north. Areas south of Tacoma and on Hood Canal have few commercial boats, and a smaller portion of other irritants to a small boat like your's (i.e. wake boats and heavy private boats with large wakes).
No, you cannot reserve a mooring with a dinghy, sign ect. Even if your registered.
Its a do not Golden Rule!
Sorry, but how would anyone know your registered.
Dont believe it just look at the rules.
Sv Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 13:24   #22

Boat: boatless currently

Install a keel guard on your boat and beach it instead of screwing around with a dinghy.
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 22:53   #23

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

A Cruising Guide to Puget Sound
is good. Was in the charter business for years up here and was a required book on our boats. Not so technical but many interesting facts about the various locations. I enjoyed it.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 08:08   #24

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatsisboats View Post
Hey to all PNW cruisers.
Our boat is in the Caribbean and we are thinking of 'cruising' the sound this summer in our 24' power boat. I have looked into cruising guides and cannot find one for power boats. Does one exist? We will live aboard just like cruising (on a sailboat). One of the big differences is that we have no dingy. Everything else makes sense to us. Any tips? thoughts? Book recommendations? Do We need a permit?
I appreciate it! Trevor
Trevor, most of the locals have power boats so you're not alone. All the cruising guide info applies to power boats as well as sail boats.

I looked up your boat (Formula 242LS) and it is a small, open cockpit trailerable speedboat with a small cabin. You will be able to get places quickly and cover a lot of ground over the summer, so that's cool. You will have no trouble finding fuel and great places to go.

When you say you want to "cruise the sound" without a dinghy, were you imagining staying at marina guest docks? That might be fine, albeit expensive, but the best, most beautiful places don't have a marina nearby and anchoring or tying up at a state park dock or mooring ball is the best way to "cruise" the South Sound and San Juan Islands for sure.

Getting a state park mooring permit is only $120.00 for your boat and a great deal that you can use for state park docks and mooring balls.

WA has an incredible number of marine state parks and they are mostly clustered in the North and South area. Use the links here for their locations.

Definitely get an inflatable dinghy, it will open up your options tremendously, even without an engine. Inflatable kayaks will work as well. Some intrepid cruisers with small boats use SUPs. Anything is better than nothing.

How will you be getting your boat from the Caribbean to WA?
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 09:13   #25

Boat: Nordic 44

Bring your passports. Let's hope that Canada opens up this summer.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 09:41   #26

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenrino View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako

Interesting. It is only required in WA if your engine is over 15 hp and exempted if you are old. I have a card for OR and HI where it is required 10 hp+ and no age exemption. That is one reason why most recreational fishing boats use 9.9 hp kickers.
Online testing, $35.00 easy test, good for a lifetime.
SV Cloud Duster
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 09:57   #27

Thanks again for all of the good info! I love it.

It's clear that some sort of dingy is a necessity. No, we don't want to / expect to have a dock at our disposal. We do want to get away from people. Just working all of this out publicly, I guess.

We live in Portland and the Formula does too Our Sailboat is layed up in Grenada.

I really appreciate the original indigenous names and like to see them coming back onto the maps. As it should be.

Thanks again everyone.
boatsisboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 18:03   #28

Boat: boatless currently

I owned a 23 ft power boat in WA state for many years. Realize that you are getting advice here from owners of sail boats with deep keels. They may need a dinghy. You don't, with your Formula. You don't have room for a dinghy. You can't tow it when you are running at 20-30 knots, which is where your boat is happy.

Kamen
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 05:19   #29

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post
I owned a 23 ft power boat in WA state for many years. Realize that you are getting advice here from owners of sail boats with deep keels. They may need a dinghy. You don't, with your Formula. You don't have room for a dinghy. You can't tow it when you are running at 20-30 knots, which is where your boat is happy.

Kamen

Did you beach your boat regularly? I think most were talking about a simple smaller dink btw. Deflate and store it away when not in use.
Old 14-03-2021, 08:57   #30

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamen View Post

Kamen
So many places with no "beach". Rocky shoreline. How does one beach the boat?

Keep in mind very large tide changes. A beached boat can become stranded for hours.

Well, perhaps if you learn and use the "clothesline" method of anchoring....
So much easier/more-flexible with a small dinghy.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, seattle