Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Seamanship & Boat Handling
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2019, 20:37   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30
Controlled situation to near disaster in under 5 seconds

Further to my thread titled "What happens when your mast hits an opening bridge. See http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ge-178734.html
We came through the St. Augustine inlet with no problems as we had called towboat US and asked for local knowledge concerning the inlet, captain John Eddy told us there were no problems, all aids to navigation were on station. To get to the south mooring field we needed to go through the Bridge of Lions bascule (draw) bridge. There was one south bound sailboat ahead of us and we called the bridge to let the bridge tender know Patty Jean was south bound and standing by for the 4:30pm opening as it opens on the half hour. Von Yachtski also called the bridge. We don’t know if the boat ahead of us called in or not. There was a schooner named Freedom, a tour boat under full sail on the south side of the bridge that called on channel 9 to all south bound traffic on the north side of the bridge to stand down and let them go through first as the tide was ebbing and they where being pushed into the bridge (they have the right of way due to having to fight the current so they don’t run into the bridge). We acknowledged their request and waited until they came through. The guy in front of us was not listening to the radio request from Freedom or just ignored it and went through the bridge first. Freedom came sailing through the bridge and Von Yachtski then proceeded to go through the bridge as they were having engine trouble and we told them to go through before us. We revered up the engine to full throttle to get through the bridge as fast as possible against the current. When Von Yachtski was just going through the bridge (slower than normal due to engine problems) the "lower the bridge horn sounded” 3 quick horn blasts from the bridge and the bridge started to close. We where four or five boat lengths behind Von Yachtski and my wife yelled “JIM THE BRIDGE IS CLOSING!!!" I looked up and yes indeed the $*&%@#*! bridge was in fact closing!! I know people who’s boat was completely totalled when they hit a bridge with their mast, but that’s another story (see link above). I made a very hasty decision to abort going through the bridge and turned hard to starboard. The boat responded to the helm and we spun around narrowly missing the bridge fender by a mere few feet! Now we are headed north and we hear on the radio, “Bridge of lions there is another southbound sailboat coming through the bridge”. I also called the bridge and asked to hold the bridge open for us. The bridge tender stopped the bridge from closing and called us and said “Patty Jean please proceed through the bridge”. I responded with "Patty Jean is proceeding through the bridge”. We did so and then thanked the bridge tender for holding the bridge for us. We don’t know why the bridge tender started to close the bridge, maybe he thought there was only 2 southbound boats because the first boat never called the bridge or the bridge tender simply made a mistake. After fueling up at the marina and hooking up to our mooring ball our next task was to do laundry. Sailing has been described as long periods of boredom, interspersed by moments of shear terror. It can go from a totally controlled situation to a complete S#@* Show in just a very few seconds. To reiterate a few points from my previous opening bridge post:
What we can all learn about opening bridges from this near tragic event is:
1) Know the exact name of the bridge you are approaching and call the bridge to request an opening and give your boat name, even if there are other boats waiting to go through ahead of you. The tender needs to know how many boats are going through.
2) Have the phone number of the bridge (available from Active Captain) ready in case radio communication fails.
3) Have an alternate plan in the event the bridge fails to open. In a strong current leave yourself room to turn around and get away from the bridge.
4) Stay well outside the fenders until the bridge is fully open.
5) Furl or drop any sails before going through the bridge.
6) Contact other traffic approaching the bridge as required. Remind them that the boat traveling with the current has the right of way. Channel 9 is not just for communicating with bridges.
From my resent near disastrous experience I will add one more item:
7) Have an alternate plan in the event the bridge starts to close as you approach the bridge. Turning around is quicker than trying to stop your boat.
Be safe out there.
Cabo Jim
Cabo Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:26   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Controlled situation to near disaster in under 5 seconds

Quote:
... they have the right of way due to having to fight the current so they don’t run into the bridge ...
Just to clarify; the upstream vessel (with the current, heading downstream) has the right of way, over the downstream (against the current, heading upstream) vessel.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:37   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

I’m extremely nervous (and careful) around bridges where the operator does not have a direct view of the entire route through the bridge. Bridge of Lions, while a beautiful bridge, is a textbook example. And the current through there can be really swift.
Old 10-02-2019, 05:31   #4

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Scary situation, to be sure. Good reaction on your part. Good reminders, too.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:38   #5

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

May I add: When it is your turn to go through, call the bridge and tell or remind them you are still there and heading through - and get an acknowledgement. I also find it handy to say how many boats are behind you waiting to come through too.

Around here (the BC coast) we have to do similar things in narrow passages - particularly the rapids. And yes, the boat going downstream has the right-of-way - which can be tricky when the current reverses every six hours and you can only go through fifteen minutes either side of the slack. Which way is the water moving? Who's going upstream and who's going downstream? In some places there is no slack: one side of the pass is going one way and the other, the other way. The middle is just a mass of whirlpools where the two currents shear against each other. Good fun - especially when your favourable current is on the left!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 14:27   #6

Boat: KP 46

5 blasts to the bridge tender will stop the closing. It is the quickest way to get their attention.

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 15:42   #7

Boat: Moody 42 CC ketch

“5 blasts to the bridge tender...” -might work, but we have been through bridges where the operator is miles away, looking (or not) at CCTV, Miles out of range of a hooter.

We Also went through a bridge a short while back (on the ICW, in Florida) where the operator was at some pains to be as rude, obstructive and unhelpful to boaters as humanly possible. Hooting at her would have been a waste of time. She closed the bridge as we passed through, missing us by barely enough, with another boat just 100 yards behind us. (Most bridge operators were much better than this, thankfully).
Noisykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 17:00   #8

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Maybe after your vessel name, add “I appear to be the third of three waiting to proceed”? I’ve only had to deal with bride openings a few times here in the Alameda/Oakland estuary or in Petaluma.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 17:17   #9

Yes beware the Bridge of Lions. I had a close call there once myself. The operator normally is outside watching the boats clear the span. But errors do occur. I find once you get the go it’s best to steam on though and don’t hesitate. And always respect the law of tonage
keyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:56   #10

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
5 blasts to the bridge tender will stop the closing. It is the quickest way to get their attention.

M
Surely that would depend on how LOUD your horn, & how far away the bridge tender is from your vessel. ???
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 13:00   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i almost got sucked under a bridge waiting for it to open. did i mention that i hate draw bridges?
Old 16-02-2019, 05:33   #12

Boat: Ericson Wheel Helm 27'

To clarify, heading downstream, skippers can lose partial control, putting their boats at the mercy of the current. The Navigation Rules give the right-of-way to vessels traveling downstream.
SailorDrewG is offline   Reply With Quote