Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2017, 19:53   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 42/Catalina 30
What happens when your mast hits an opening bridge

We were starting our cruising season in Brunswick Ga. in November and met a young couple, Austin and Niki and they had just purchased a Ted Brewer designed 48 ft ketch. They were working hard getting her ready to start their circumnavigation. Their enthusiasm was infectious and many regulars in the marina were helping them out with advise, assistance and donations of equipment. They were organized and had a plan, to rename the boat Salty Mermaid and start their circumnavigation from Brunswick Ga. After looking after numerous details including polishing their fuel that had been sitting in the tank for four years and repairing the auto pilot, they were finally ready. The only thing missing was experience so they did the right thing and hired a captain to take them down the coast to Fort Lauderdale where friends would meet them and help them sail to the Caribbean. The dream was happening. They set off on a beautiful December morning and sailed outside or motored down the ditch as weather dictated. They eventually made it to Jupiter Inlet. They negotiated the inlet with no problem and the captain hailed the bridge, "Jupiter bridge, Jupiter bridge". The bridge tender did not respond. There are in fact two Jupiter bridges, After repeated attempts to contact the bridge eventually they were close enough to see the name on the bridge as Jupiter Federal bridge. Austin hailed the bridge and requested an opening. The bridge tender finally complied, but the boat when backing up started to go into a marina near the bridge. A strong flood current was running at the time. The captain put the boat into forward and decided to go through the bridge before it was fully open and the forestay, stay sail and mast hit the bridge. The result was major damage to the rigging, mast and internal structures of the boat. To quote Austin, "The damage is pretty bad, we are looking at close to 50k in damage, which may cause the boat to be totalled. We have a hole in the bow and are taking on water via the stringers, the mast is raked aft, instruments all destroyed on mast head, stay and headsail are destroyed and pulled bulkheads and chainplates with them. Some issues with the stringers as well." This is a very sad story and possibly the end to their dream. Go to sailingsaltymermaid.com to learn more and see the youtube video of the accident.
What we can all learn about opening bridges from this very tragic event is:
1) Know the exact name of the bridge you are approaching.
2) Have the phone number of the bridge (available from Active Captain) ready in case radio communication fails.
3) Have an alternate plan in the event the bridge fails to open. In a strong current leave yourself room to turn around and get away from the bridge.
4) Stay well outside the fenders until the bridge is fully open.
5) Furl or drop any sails before going through the bridge.
6) Contact other traffic approaching the bridge as required. Channel 9 is not just for bridges.
Be safe out there.
Cabo Jim
Old 17-01-2017, 20:02   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: What happens when your mast hits an opening bridge

Good advice and an invaluable (if expensive) lesson to any skipper to never ever be in a hurry when approaching fixed objects.

Just hope this doesn't become a Go-fund thread.
Old 17-01-2017, 20:05   #3

Boat: Seaward 22

You forgot...if you hire a captain, check his insurance.
Old 17-01-2017, 21:35   #4

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Good advice OP....That is a terrible move by that captain. I watched some of their video's and I don't like to be negative but I feel this might be saving that couple from a lot more trouble/anguish down the line.
Old 17-01-2017, 21:51   #5

It seems like even if the owners did everything right - the cupcake at the helm who was the captain would have made the mistake anyway.

Old 17-01-2017, 21:54   #6

Boat: 1983 Aloha 34

No one cares more about your boat than you do.
Old 17-01-2017, 22:00   #7

Boat: Boatless

The real problem is leaving the dock before you have the knowledge and skills to accomplish your goals!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
Old 17-01-2017, 22:31   #8
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
You forgot...if you hire a captain, check his insurance.
They mentioned in this video of the crash about insurance, so hopefully it will pay out

Seem like a nice couple

https://youtu.be/bqDETB3I9bo
Old 17-01-2017, 22:49   #9

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Yes, don't get into too much of a hurry.

Mare Island Causeway Bridge - City of Vallejo
Old 17-01-2017, 23:23   #10

Boat: Sandibar 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
The real problem is leaving the dock before you have the knowledge and skills to accomplish your goals!
Well, without leaving the dock those skills are a bit hard to develop, eh? I think they did what they could to prepare, i.e. hiring a pro (I assume) to take then out and teach them the ropes. What a terrible and totally unnecessary mistake by the captain, and it seems he's 100% responsible for this. Really hope this is covered by someone's insurance and those kids can continue their journey soon. They did learn an expensive lesson though.
Old 18-01-2017, 01:01   #11
CF Adviser

I wonder why the bridge operator stopped the opening?

Was it standard procedure in case of a collision to minimize damage?

Methinks the skipper had a brain fart.
Overly tired from the trip and ongoing repairs.....he saw the small boat go thru, an opening bridge and put it in gear.

I am sure he feels terrible.
Old 18-01-2017, 02:19   #12

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Maybe the skipper was just a higher level of inexperience. There are some "Captains" that should never have been given a license.

The problem with the inexperience of the boat owners in this case shows from who they picked as a captain. Any experienced skipper would have held off way before approaching the bridge until it opened all the way, especially in a current. and also he probably was still getting the feel of the boat, which should have been another reason to be extra cautious
Old 18-01-2017, 02:31   #13

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

OK, so the question to my mind is...

Is this sort of damage to be expected from such an incident? I mean I understand that these would not have been the normal forces that a mast would be subjected to, but I am quite surprised by the description of damage to bulkheads and stringers.

In my simplistic mind I just assumed the stays would have snapped, the mast would have come down in one more more pieces, anything immediately below the falling mast would have also been damaged.

I look at my boat and try to imagine that sort of damage and I just can't see it. And from what I understand, Ted Brewer designs are not lightweight toys.

Can anyone explain this for me?

Matt
Old 18-01-2017, 02:39   #14

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
OK, so the question to my mind is...

Is this sort of damage to be expected from such an incident? I mean I understand that these would not have been the normal forces that a mast would be subjected to, but I am quite surprised by the description of damage to bulkheads and stringers.

In my simplistic mind I just assumed the stays would have snapped, the mast would have come down in one more more pieces, anything immediately below the falling mast would have also been damaged.

I look at my boat and try to imagine that sort of damage and I just can't see it. And from what I understand, Ted Brewer designs are not lightweight toys.

Can anyone explain this for me?

Matt
I was wondering the same thing. Maybe extra heavy stays for "Offshore sailing". Ive seen standing rigging that was oversize. Maybe not the best idea in this case, the weakest link looks like the structure of the boat.
If it was me, I would want the hardware to break first before ripping the boat apart.
Old 18-01-2017, 02:44   #15

The only thing missing was experience??????????

You operate a boat at your experience level. You don't jump into the deep end of the pool when you are a new swimmer.

This sounds like someone who was not yet ready and prepared to operate their boat. AND employed someone who was apparently incompetent. Very sad and very poor judgment.
Closed Thread

Tags
mast