Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2018, 09:59   #16

Boat: Leopard 39
Re: "Captain" and "Skipper" as honorifics

I don't have a captain's license, and "skipper" reminds me of Gilligan's Island.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 10:05   #17

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

Here in Florida, kinda like the South, many people call you Captain, bridge tenders, Coast Guard, marina staff. I think its a form of respect, as you are the Captain of your ship.

I do however require my crew to Sound the ships bell and yell ATTENTION ON DECK , oh wait that was the Navy days, and I was the one doing the yelling.....

Big picture, lots more to think about, keeping the ship and its crew safe, that is my responsibility, and not one to be taken lightly.

Cheers, Pop's
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 10:09   #18

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

We don't normally use the terms. But it is understood that the person in charge is the captain and I am the skipper. I answer to both in port.
Several years ago I single-handed into the locks at Salmon Bay (Seattle) during a storm, side-tied, and then quietly fended off a big power boat that would have scraped my hull. The lock tenders called me "skipper" and it was the first time I had heard that term used with respect.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 10:09   #19

Lots of people on this board addressing THEMSELVES as Captain.....
Old 24-08-2018, 10:14   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
... It’s not really an “honorific.” It’s more like “I don’t know your name…"

Bingo.

In the case of the CG it means "we're considering you responsible," and in the case of a marina it means "we'll be handing you the bill."
Old 24-08-2018, 10:21   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
In the case of the CG it means "we're considering you responsible," and in the case of a marina it means "we'll be handing you the bill."
Old 24-08-2018, 10:27   #22

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Yeah, that. Though, considering I was called Major in a former life, it's always felt a bit like a demotion.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 10:31   #23

Boat: Ericson 35-3

When the Army Corps guys at the Ballard Locks call you Skipper... well, they make it sound like a bit less than an honorific . I don't like being called captain cause I'm not, skipper is okay, but since I mostly single hand I can only get annoyed at myself for misapplied honorifics.
brownr377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 10:32   #24

Boat: Flicka 20

Captain should always be used when talking on the radio or in any official duties such as Coast Guard, port captain, imagration or other captains on the water. Skipper should be for crew that are not family or friends. Family and friends will call you all sorts of things, sometimes not always good. The important thing is to make it clear that you are in charge. Listen to others and consider their concerns but you are still captain no matter what you go by.

It also helps to have a well worn captains hat. Baseball caps don’t do much for the image.
CaptainJohn49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 10:40   #25

Boat: Custom 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen411 View Post
Lots of people on this board addressing THEMSELVES as Captain.....

This is the crux of it. I think it's perfectly fine to address somebody else on the radio as 'captain', for example-the 'I don't know your name' thing fits.

But, when I hear the guy with the 100 ton ticket introducing himself as 'Captain Bill (insert name here)', I just roll my eyes.

It's just about unheard of to have an actual, professional ship's master introduce themselves that way.
Old 24-08-2018, 10:42   #26

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

While Captain is a bit formal for a daysailer or a cruising boat, Cap seems fitting to me. You are responsible for the boat and safety of your crew/passengers, and it doesn't hurt for everyone on board to know who has the final say in operating the boat. When you check in to a country through customs, you have to stipulate whether you are the owner, captain, or owner's agent, and in some countries you are the only person allowed ashore until the boat and crew are checked in. BTW, if you're cruising, you don't have passengers, only crew. Passengers are assumed to have paid for the trip, so customs will charge you a higher fee.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 11:15   #27

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

I insist on "Your Excellency"
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 11:30   #28

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

I generally do not use Capt. when meeting the operator of another vessel unless the situation warrants and respect is shown.

However, other situations arise where I wish to address a operator of another vessel, as in close quarters maneuvering, a vessel entering our slip to go to the dockside bar, or maybe anchoring within our swing room...

I will use the prefix......SKIPPER, before I make my statement. I believe this shows respect, and usually gets a positive response .

I was a professional U.S.C.G. Licensed capt, but did not wear one of Those phoney captain braided caps, nor expected anyone to call me capt. denny.

But, there are some other skippers and their crews, who sometimes on initial contact will do so, but after that initial greeting, that is it. The party is on.

Also, on charters, especially the motor vessel charters, many times the passengers will wander up to bridge deck and need something or have a question and they will address me as captain. That is OK, and I do not feel any negative response toward that.

Sailing charters, we get to know the passengers, and that is generally, my first name. Unless, there may be a situation, mechanical, or electrical, or an unseen vessel under the 150,and they want to make an immediate point.

There is no demand by me to be addressed as skipper or Capt., but if someone wants to use it, that is just fine. Otherwise, " Denny " works great.

When on Kauai, we would go on Napali Coast Cruises, large catamarans, I liked to go up and meet the Capt.....but, kept it all friendly and respectful, by calling him SKIPPER. After the intro , we just used first names and traded sea stories. Keep life easy and simple and respectful.

Seems like a big deal is made our of being respectful, but regardless, we will continue with our usual first approach and use "SKIPPER ". As another poster commented, we do not yet know their name.

A, smile and respectful greeting at the intro . Skipper has been working for nearly 40 years.

However, we all should plot our own courses thru life, and do what feels comfortable and appropriated for us personally.

Sometimes, in a non extremus situation, good morning, g'day, or what ever works well on the docks .

We continually meet people from all walks of life......whatever we are doing or where ever we are. Life and people are exciting and fun, and interesting .

I have found that ( my saying )

ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS SAY "HELLO ". AND YOU WILL MEET PEOPLE WHO ARE NOT ONLY INTERESTING, BUT MANY TIMES YOU WILL BE SURPRISED AT HOW MUCH YOU HAVE IN COMMON.

On the other hand, I see people heads down , typing or swipping their electronic devices, not a word to anyone. Dull, dull, dull.

They chart their course, we chart ours. Ours works well for us.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 11:42   #29

I like it. It’s a good reminder that you are ultimately responsible for the safe operation of your boat and the welfare of all aboard.
medevicerep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2018, 11:43   #30

Boat: Sea Ray 270

I believe you are wrong to think that using the honorific of Captain is empty and vain. When a vessel is underway on any navigable waters in the US, the person in charge IS the Captain, and is liable under admiralty law for the safe operation of the vessel and the safety of the passengers. It is not an empty title. Now, while not on a vessel underway I can agree with you that the use of the honorific of Captain might be vainglorious for someone who is just a recreational boater. However, if that person has been granted a professional license to be Master of a vessel, then I don't think it is improper to address them as Captain, or of them to wish to be addressed so, particularly if they use that professional license as part of their livelihood. Earning your Captains license is an achievement that requires respect. Also in terms of the law, it makes no difference if you are the Captain of a supertanker or a 34 foot recreational sailboat, you both have to go by the rules and safeguard your vessel and its passengers. Same for aircraft. The buck stops at the pilot in command whether it is a 747 or a 2 seat Piper cub.
jackheape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
captain, skipper