Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 06:53   #571

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

They may be great people, but they have the classic no money but entitled, the world owes us young cruiser attitude that has so many sunken boats in Florida when they can't afford to maintain the boat and the lifestyle. The problem is that even 28' boats need to be maintained and they left with $90 in their pocket and three mouths to feed. One small system breakdown away from disaster.

I am all for taking chances in life and trying to live the dream. But I have a huge problem when your dream fails and you leave your garbage behind for the rest of us to clean up who have worked hard all our lives to cruise responsibly. Especially when you take a very stupid risk of sailing into John's pass after dark.

Someone argued why should I care, it does not affect me... The effect is on all of us with lost anchorages, increased insurance rates, increased registration fees, increased property taxes, more damage to the environment, etc. And in this case, a high probability that the wreck will continue to move and cause more damage that the rest of us have to deal with.

You want to start a go fund me site, how about this kid who hit bad luck with Irma:

Sailboats flung by Irma into Grove yard go back into bay | Miami Herald

Cezary “Chris” Krupa was one of these kids and his boat landed in the back yard of a home owner in Coconut grove. This kid has always had the intention of paying his debt even while living in his car working out how to get his boat repaired and back in the water. The owner of the home even gave him work to earn some money with odd jobs and also loaned him the $2500 to get his boat floated. The other boats, well read the stories...

He could have walked away and found another boat (his looks pretty bad). He could have passed title to the owner of the home and walked away leaving his problem behind. But he didn't.

I have no problem with kids like this and will go out of my way to help, just as we would have this couple if they stayed right here and worked their way to getting their boat salvaged and cleaned up, then determine how to continue their dream. Not sitting comfortably at home with a relative getting free money passed to them after their 15 minutes of fame while their old boat is a hazard for the rest of us to worry about.
Old 20-02-2018, 07:15   #572

Is anyone actually in touch with these jokers and have asked them when they plan to remove their boat?
Old 20-02-2018, 08:03   #573

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Per their go fund me page, they have raised $16,236 from 413 donors. This was as of 10:57 Eastern Time (East Coast of the U.S.). That's an average of $39.31 per person, however the average is a bit deceiving. There are a lot of $5 and $10 donors as well as some who gave $100.

Tanner Broadwell has created a FaceBook page (https://www.facebook.com/tanner.broadwell.5). I messaged him asking him how the salvage is coming along and wishing him good luck with the salvage and refit. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 20-02-2018, 08:26   #574

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
Per their go fund me page, they have raised $16,236 from 413 donors. This was as of 10:57 Eastern Time (East Coast of the U.S.). That's an average of $39.31 per person, however the average is a bit deceiving. There are a lot of $5 and $10 donors as well as some who gave $100.

Tanner Broadwell has created a FaceBook page (https://www.facebook.com/tanner.broadwell.5). I messaged him asking him how the salvage is coming along and wishing him good luck with the salvage and refit. I'll keep everyone posted.

[emoji106]

I did note the Facebook page they list at gofundme isn't working.
Old 20-02-2018, 08:40   #575

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post

they changed they GFM page, stating that their first priority is getting a new boat, changed from the priority being removing the wreck of their last boat. lying grifters the both of them.
Old 20-02-2018, 08:52   #576

In all fairness, we need to give them a chance to respond and do the right thing before calling them liars or anything as harsh. As long as I have to avoid that wreck, and know who owns it and they have the means to clean it up, I will continue to keep the spotlight on it. If there are facts that we are not aware of, I would love to have those and would love to hear Tanner's intentions directly from him. Until someone cleans up that wreck, the rest of us are dealing with it. There are a large number of wrecks just like this one that we are left to deal with. This one happens to have a name and a go fund me page that WAS dedicated to cleaning up the mess before it hit 10K.
Old 20-02-2018, 11:09   #577

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Local Knowledge: Use a variety of sources:
- Charts: If you see odd things, you need to be careful. Shifting bars are a common issue.
- Guides (paper and electronic): They often will recommend avoiding certain inlets.
- Marinas: If you are reserving a slip, ask.
- Local CG station: They can give you the low down.
- Fellow cruisers

You don't have to use a single source for navigation.

And when these fragmentary, unofficial sources disagree, who do you believe?

I rest my case. US marine navigation is a mess.
Old 20-02-2018, 11:23   #578

Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0400.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	187.5 KB
ID:	164495

Someone on Facebook spoke with the local towboat operator "Chloe". Apparently they've been in contact about salvaging, but they don't want to pay the quoted amount. I'm told the amount is high but quite a bit less than what they made from gofundme.
Old 20-02-2018, 11:43   #579

Name:	IMG_0402.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	217.6 KB
ID:	164496
Old 20-02-2018, 12:04   #580

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
And when these fragmentary, unofficial sources disagree, who do you believe?

I rest my case. US marine navigation is a mess.
Geez mate, don't go out into the real world, I think you'll be in for a shock.
Old 20-02-2018, 12:06   #581

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
Attachment 164495

Someone on Facebook spoke with the local towboat operator "Chloe". Apparently they've been in contact about salvaging, but they don't want to pay the quoted amount. I'm told the amount is high but quite a bit less than what they made from gofundme.
I don't know about being broke up, was not two days ago when we passed it.
Old 20-02-2018, 12:13   #582

I think the odds have gone from 50-1 to 100-1. Someone posted this and tells a story of a person who may have no issues walking away from a debt. The IRS and Sallie Mae will eventually get their money. Maybe why they don't want to work as their pay was already being garnished. For crying out loud, just clean up your mess, that is the pretense of the first 10K on your go fund me site.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WillTheyPay.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	164498  
Old 20-02-2018, 12:18   #583

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoster View Post
I think the odds have gone from 50-1 to 100-1. Someone posted this and tells a story of a person who may have no issues walking away from a debt. The IRS and Sallie Mae will eventually get their money. Maybe why they don't want to work as their pay was already being garnished. For crying out loud, just clean up your mess, that is the pretense of the first 10K on your go fund me site.

Also another person that could have paid back their student loans but didn't want to. Surely with the money they put into the boat they could have found the 7k...
Old 20-02-2018, 12:18   #584

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
Attachment 164495Someone on Facebook spoke with the local towboat operator "Chloe". Apparently they've been in contact about salvaging, but they don't want to pay the quoted amount. I'm told the amount is high but quite a bit less than what they made from gofundme.
I am guessing that they are shopping for quotes. If I recall correctly, they originally had a figure of some six or seven thousand. I don't know what the quote from Chloe was, but it would be prudent to shop. I certainly look at various quotes when I am having work done.

It is also possible that without insurance they may have a hard time getting it into a yard so they can work on it. Of course, the insurance is moot if they are having it broken up and instead getting a different boat.

I sure hope they complete the salvage.
Old 20-02-2018, 12:20   #585

I'll tell you what though. With their new found notoriety they can forget about cruising. Everyone will know who they are and that they walked away from this. Fame is a double edged sword. If no one knew them walking away would be far easier....
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size