Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2018, 14:14   #286

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

so, where on teh chart did the grounding happen? Or did I miss that upthread? And what was the tidal state?

And I gathered that there has been shoaling since the chart was drawn.... any idea in which areas and how severe?

Looks to be a simple approach in decent viz conditions, but difficult in fog and dark and even hopeless if unknown shoaling has crept in. No experienced cruiser would attempt such in zero viz... would they? I sure as hell wouldn't!

Jim
Old 13-02-2018, 14:21   #287
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
(not nearly as experienced in marine navigation as most here)

I thought that in "approach" areas with relatively shallow depths, spot depths were just approximate, where channels were supposed to be as close to guaranteed as you get. Are you suggesting to go outside the markers?

In aviation, there are general charts, but also highly detailed approach plates that are very accurate. Seems like Marine entrance channel documentation would be more detailed.
Its my understanding that the US is opposite to the UK so Red Right returning.. if you look closely you will see that the outer green buoy is sat on the edge of the bar.. so to follow that narrow channel would involve passing the green buoy on the right.. hence my assumption it was a small craft/boat channel.. shallow draft..
Whereas if one were coming in properly one should line up the leading lights and pass with the green buoys to port.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-02-2018, 14:38   #288

Boat: Albin Vega 27

In one of the articles the skipper had said the channel markers seemed confusing. This would explain that situation with a green marker to the right on a return. The question is then, why not have the standard R.R.R. in this situation? Why the non-standard approach markers?
Old 13-02-2018, 15:00   #289
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

They are.. further out is a red.. pass between that and the first green then turn to port to pass between the next red and green before the entrance..
Basic navigation.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
While the 'useful idiots' of the West pay to dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 13-02-2018, 15:02   #290

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
In one of the articles the skipper had said the channel markers seemed confusing. This would explain that situation with a green marker to the right on a return. The question is then, why not have the standard R.R.R. in this situation? Why the non-standard approach markers?
It looks like marked on the chart channel is really a small boat channel (why would they do it I dont know) and actual passage for sailboats is on the right with red and green markers, ad it should be. They just went wrong way (and wrong time)
Old 13-02-2018, 17:08   #291

On my I sailor chart the only obstruction is three under water piles at 5ft isobath . Left hand side of channel .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A4CBF934-8436-4711-BB9D-E65F7A49F887.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	164115  
Old 13-02-2018, 17:58   #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_sauvage View Post
It looks like marked on the chart channel is really a small boat channel (why would they do it I dont know) and actual passage for sailboats is on the right with red and green markers, ad it should be. They just went wrong way (and wrong time)
Ok, thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize there was such a thing as a separate small boat channel outside of the approach markers. The channel symbol on the chart has marker #3 (green) on the starboard side of the channel mark even though the (white shading) deeper water is on the correct side of the green marker. I always go for deeper water anyways.
Old 13-02-2018, 18:47   #293

It's funny that this story has made national news. I'm skiing in Utah and I heard the story mentioned on the radio two times. The radio jockeys are saying "that's not what gofundme is for!" They're also slightly misrepresenting the story saying the money if for a new boat with no mention of the 10k required for cleanup...

I guess these two will be well known both in sailing and non-sailing circles...
Old 13-02-2018, 19:15   #294

I think people have a hard time understanding that "go fund me" is not UNICEF, March of Dimes, Red Cross or Jerry's Kids..etc..As far as this young couple, I think they have become accidentally famous for a while. It is a result of holding yourself out to the public.
Old 13-02-2018, 19:29   #295

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
I think people have a hard time understanding that "go fund me" is not UNICEF, March of Dimes, Red Cross or Jerry's Kids..etc..As far as this young couple, I think they have become accidentally famous for a while. It is a result of holding yourself out to the public.

Still pretty crappy IMHO and essentially is first world people with first world problems begging.

I remember not long ago some Australians begging for money via go fund me to bring their child home from Indonesia.
They were staying at the Hilton, chose not to have travel insurance and thought letting their kid ride a motorscooter around unlicenced was a good idea

Another thing I have seen overseas is young westerners sitting on a busy footpath with a sign in the local lingo begging.
Rich enough to fly there, spend several months and now wanting to take money from poor locals.
Wouldn't be surprised if they had go fund me pages running as well.

Poor form IMHO
Old 13-02-2018, 20:13   #296

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
It's funny that this story has made national news. I'm skiing in Utah and I heard the story mentioned on the radio two times. The radio jockeys are saying "that's not what gofundme is for!" They're also slightly misrepresenting the story saying the money if for a new boat with no mention of the 10k required for cleanup...

I guess these two will be well known both in sailing and non-sailing circles...
International, was here in Brazil in the news yesterday.
Old 13-02-2018, 20:16   #297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricolor View Post
International, was here in Brazil in the news yesterday.

What did the Brazilian story say?
Old 13-02-2018, 20:23   #298

Boat: Boatless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
What did the Brazilian story say?
Basically a translation.

https://www.noticiasaominuto.com.br/...-pior-acontece
Old 13-02-2018, 20:24   #299

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Still pretty crappy IMHO and essentially is first world people with first world problems begging.

I remember not long ago some Australians begging for money via go fund me to bring their child home from Indonesia.
They were staying at the Hilton, chose not to have travel insurance and thought letting their kid ride a motorscooter around unlicenced was a good idea

Another thing I have seen overseas is young westerners sitting on a busy footpath with a sign in the local lingo begging.
Rich enough to fly there, spend several months and now wanting to take money from poor locals.
Wouldn't be surprised if they had go fund me pages running as well.

Poor form IMHO
Would you prefer if everyone was equally poor like the 3rd world? How do you equate funding thru GFM as begging? It is based on donations (key word) without any expectation of gratification. Good causes get funded, poor causes, not so much. Freedom to choose, freedom to give. GFM, YouTube, Patreon, are all part of our future. Young people are even using this as a business model for future earnings, so get on board cause the future is here and waits for no one.
Old 13-02-2018, 20:28   #300
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Would you prefer if everyone was equally poor like the 3rd world? How do you equate funding thru GFM as begging? It is based on donations (key word) without any expectation of gratification. Good causes get funded, poor causes, not so much. Freedom to choose, freedom to give. GFM, YouTube, Patreon, are all part of our future. Young people are even using this as a business model for future earnings, so get on board cause the future is here and waits for no one.
I would rather not get on the beggars board I live by three rules for success in life graduate high school get a job and pay your own way.

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size