Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2018, 18:57   #121

Boat: Carver 356
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post

"The government" doesn't pay for wreck cleanup these days, States have laws that make the owners liable for the cleanups. Otherwise, it is possible that tax monies would be used.

Ann
I guess that's why the couple in question have set up a gofundme account. In addition to only having $90 to their name, they are on the hook for thousands to have the boat salvaged. I saw where the CG gave them the bad news that the clean up is on their dime.
I'm guessing they wished they bit the bullet and got insurance.
Old 10-02-2018, 19:03   #122

Boat: Scout 30

"The government" doesn't pay for wreck cleanup these days, States have laws that make the owners liable for the cleanups. Otherwise, it is possible that tax monies would be used.

Ann[/QUOTE]

The State of Florida has had a fund for abandoned vessel removal for quite some time. After Irma the Feds joined with the state to remove vessels that the owners are not able to remove on their own. However, it's my understanding that this does not apply to vessels that sink at a dock. Here's a quote from the Miami Herald:

Vessel owners are encouraged to hire a salvage company to recover their boats. Owners who want to remove their own vessels can visit Best Practices for Removal of Vessel for guidelines.

Owners of displaced boats who lack the resources to have their boat repaired, or if their vessel is determined to be beyond repair, can release ownership of the vessel through a waiver provided by the FWC.

The process can be initiated by contacting the FWC through the Vessel Removal Hotline at (305) 985-3744 and requesting to turn over a displaced vessel. An FWC representative will then contact the owner to explain the process and facilitate the potential turnover of ownership.

Read more here: Hurricane Irma: Number of boats in Keys pulled from water increases | Miami Herald
Old 10-02-2018, 20:47   #123

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sailfish View Post
Ooh... you called me a Baby Boomer. I am going to cry. Thanks for the laugh.

And yes... Millennials have it sooo hard today. Not like back in "our day" when it was sooo easy. "Do I live in my parents basement til I am 40? or can I stretch it to 45? Damn... this iphone 8 is so obsolete. Maybe I can ask Mom and Dad for a new iphone 10. After all... I did take out the trash 1 time last month. (and that was really hard for me as I have a trash can allergy)

And before your pithy comeback... I sailed over 12k blue water miles all over the Pacific on an Albin Vega. Great boat you have there.
Well lets see how hard Millennial have it. It seems like you accused them of the same old talking points (mass media). Lets begin; they were purposely dumbed down in public school and sold a bill of goods on higher education. Both parents worked, never home. They were taught by radical leftist in college about radial feminism, white privilege and toxic masculinity. Political correctness forbids them from saying anything about their condition. They come out of said college with enormous debt loads with no opportunity for employment except for service work which will never allow them to pay student loans back. Most professional jobs were outsourced to another country or given to H1B Visa immigrants. An 18 year old joining the military will go fight in a war that started before they were born(Iraq, Afghanistan, Syria, Libya..etc) for a country that is so hopelessly in debt that it cannot even pay the interest on the National Debt. Our politics are a sham i.e. poor choices, Hillary or Trump (damn!). Shall I continue? I think these kids broke free of their predictive programming paradigm and wanted to get away from the mess up country that they inherited form you. Kids today don't care about your money that is rapidly loosing its value, they value life and experiences. And just remember Boomer, one day you will be begging for them to wipe you feeble old bum and I doubt they will despite how much money you offer. I think these young people (who had a bad day) did something good to get into sailing and I hope many more follow. There are lots of old boats that need revitalizing. Sailing is not just for the elite, its for everybody young and old......love GenX
Old 10-02-2018, 22:22   #124

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Wow! I've never read such a lot of vitriol from a bunch of old 'Holier-Than-Thou' salt-water wet farts.
I myself will never see the age of 85 again, but I'm willing to give these two young'uns some slack when it comes to learning how-to, & all about sailing. I realise none of you have ever made a mistake in your lives & it must be hard for you to understand how these neophytes would think they could just buy an old boat and go about teaching themselves the rudiments.
Many of you probably have enough money that you simply write a cheque for whatever you or the boat needs. Well, these kids did not have the where-with-all and were doing the best they knew how to make their dream come true. Sad to say, many of you are willing to trash them because of that. Shame on the majority of you. At least I see a few who have similar thoughts & feelings as I do.
Strange how the same people who are trashing this young couple & demanding they pay for the removal of the wreck from the fairway will all agree, or even demand, that governments should provide free search & rescue for those who get into trouble off-shore & sometimes in far-flung places. Helicopter &/or fixed wing S & R doesn't come cheap and yet, I can only imagine the howls of protest should any one of these rich old buggers receive a demand for S&R costs. Many of your comments remind me of an old saying (I frequently heard in jest) whilst serving in the military ... F*** you Jack, I'm alright! ... all I can say is, wait till it happens to you & see if the sailing fraternity comes to your aid.

BTW, I live near Vancouver BC I wish I could report to you how many Heli S&R's are performed each & every year, for "idiots" (your term, not mine) who venture into the mountains totally unprepared in knowledge, footwear, clothing, food, or survival gear etc. ... most of the S&R is done by unpaid volunteers & all they ask for is donations, which I doubt very much covers the bare costs & so, I suspect some of the 'shortfall' is covered by Govt. Funds. I also want to tell you, quite often, those in trouble frequently are not locals, nor even Canadian citizens; regardless of this, we go find them & bring them back to safety. All free gratis. So for all of you who complain about the 'cost of assistance', please, let us know who you are, & the particulars of your vessel, & the rest of us will help make sure you receive an invoice for your own rescue when that day comes ... as it surely will.
I hope they do open a go-fund-me account & people like me & a few others contribute something toward their return to sailing. Or is sailing only for the very rich? You tell me.
Old 10-02-2018, 22:22   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaflyfish View Post
for a country that is so hopelessly in debt that it cannot even pay the interest on the National Debt. Our politics are a sham i.e. poor choices, Hillary or Trump (damn!). Shall I continue? I think these kids broke free of their predictive programming paradigm and wanted to get away from the mess up country that they inherited form you. Kids today don't care about your money that is rapidly loosing its value, they value life and experiences. And just remember Boomer, one day you will be begging for them to wipe you feeble old bum and I doubt they will despite how much money you offer. I think these young people (who had a bad day) did something good to get into sailing and I hope many more follow. There are lots of old boats that need revitalizing. Sailing is not just for the elite, its for everybody young and old......love GenX
Reported on local tv recently: One in six millennials have over $100,000.00 saved. Instead of ranting about the state of our country perhaps you should run for office if you have the answers to the problems you see.
Old 10-02-2018, 22:51   #126

Boat: Albin Vega 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by achil View Post
Reported on local tv recently: One in six millennials have over $100,000.00 saved. Instead of ranting about the state of our country perhaps you should run for office if you have the answers to the problems you see.
Pat, the fact that you called it "ranting" means that you really don't want any solutions. Politics is a dirty business where a simple unprovable, wild accusation is easy to make but will destroy you financially trying to prove it wrong. No thanks. Red team -blue team, whichever side you fall on, my thoughts are for this unfortunate young couple.
Old 10-02-2018, 23:00   #127

Boat: Nicholson 26
Send a message via Skype™ to nic26

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I seem to recall reading that Robin Graham set off on his circumnavigation with $70. (About $550 in today's dollars.)
And Anni Hill arrived the first time in the Caribbean with 5 Pound left...
Old 11-02-2018, 00:39   #128

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic26 View Post
And Anni Hill arrived the first time in the Caribbean with 5 Pound left...
So... what did she start with? What did she spend it on while on passage? On line gambling?
Old 11-02-2018, 00:59   #129

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Tilbury View Post
$70 wow i bet they thought that "YOUTUBE" would make them millions ,,,

This gives us all a bad name ,
It doesn't give you a bad name any more than someone in a car crash gives drivers around the world a bad name.

Some people here really need to get over themselves. So many of these threads are full of ill wishers and bad luck prayers.

Reminds me of a story my Norwegian and Danish friends like to tell of a place in Norway with an uncharted rock in the middle of an anchorage. Many of those in the anchorage sit there on the back of their boats getting their entertainment by watching to see if incoming boats hit it or not.

p.s I've not seen anything in the news story about a YT channel. Was that made up?
Old 11-02-2018, 01:43   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post

Some people here really need to get over themselves. So many of these threads are full of ill wishers and bad luck prayers.
It's certainly a lot more noticeable than it used to be that’s for sure, it's almost accepted behaviour nowadays……..

Be Brave, Take Risks, Nothing Can Substitute Experience
Old 11-02-2018, 02:41   #131

Boat: offshore 8 meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
I seem to recall reading that Robin Graham set off on his circumnavigation with $70. (About $550 in today's dollars.)
hi, he had a rich dad paying, i believe he finished in a different boat , \after fire damage to dove , i saw dove in the virgin isands in the 80s, st thomas i think, a long while ago so not absolutely sure
Old 11-02-2018, 03:32   #132

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

Well, whatever your feelings on the issue, here is a link to their go fund me site.

https://www.gofundme.com/new-sailing-life
Old 11-02-2018, 03:58   #133

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Just finished reading "Desperate Voyage", young kids these days don't know how to screw up properly. Lol

In reality, youth of today are really at a disadvantage when it comes to fixing things. They just simply aren't taught the skills to troubleshoot, think about issues that may happen, or use tools. Their parents just hired out any repairs.

The anger shown on this thread is just people justifying the product (American dream) that they bought. "See I was right in putting my dreams on hold to fulfill societies requirements (house,kids,insurance to cover any risk,job) now that I've paid my dues (at the cost of a majority of their years) I can take a low-risk mini adventure"

Personally, I would rather have the .gov use all the money they steal from me each payday cleaning up boats from wanna be adventurers vs buying bombs, supporting inner-city baby factories, paying off congressional sex scandals, or subsidizing corporate greed.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:17   #134

Does anyone know why the Coast Guard is insisting they remove the boat? Is it in the navigation channel, or adrift as a hazard to navigation?

I ask because a boat ran aground near me in Florida and there is no interest whatsoever, on federal, state, or local levels, in doing anything about it. If there's a magic number to call, it would be nice to know about it.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:38   #135
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Its always the same..
Secure, rich priviliged white guy throwing blame on everyone else.
Here in the UK we currently have an over payed arrogant plonker called Jeremy Clarkson blaming pensioners for the youths problems today because they bought houses when they were cheap.. his answer is that over 65's should not have the vote..
No mention that when housing was cheap a blue collar worker was taking home around £20/week.. nor the fact that his kind buy second and third homes which then stand empty in desirable towns and villages driving up prices and slamming the door for local youth who want a home in the place of their birth.
Its always the same.. can see it on the media every day.. Rich Twat vs Poor Suckers.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size