Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2018, 09:14   #676
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

Sunken sailboat causing safety concerns for boaters in John’s Pass | WFLA.com
Well it seems that as of the 20th the vessel was still in the water.
Old 23-02-2018, 10:01   #677

Boat: 1969 Rhodes 28'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If, as reported, the wreck is moving about with the tides and winds, marking is difficult to accomplish.

Jim

Why can't someone take a big orange float and tie it to the boat?
Old 23-02-2018, 10:11   #678
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreblePlink View Post
Why can't someone take a big orange float and tie it to the boat?
because everyone says " not my problem" likely also if you did it you would be told you now have the responsibility to remove the wreck. ( normal governmental pass the buck bit )
Old 23-02-2018, 10:25   #679

Boat: Tartan 40

Been following this thread from the beginning. Completely unsurprised they are taking the money and running. Their underlying story makes them sound like those who would take any shortcut available to avoid gainful
employment or hard work to achieve goals. Im sorry for those who donated -
Old 23-02-2018, 10:38   #680

Also, the facebook page they created in their gofundme update seems to be taken down.
Has anyone who lives down there contacted the press? This could be a good story....
Old 23-02-2018, 10:58   #681
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Also, the facebook page they created in their gofundme update seems to be taken down.
Has anyone who lives down there contacted the press? This could be a good story....
I sent an e-mail to the reporter from Tampa who originally reported it asking for a follow-up, but have yet to receive a response.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:14   #682

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
So can anyone confirm it's been removed? No need for us to bash them if they already took care of it.
I would like to see someone else do that for a confirmation because I certainly didn't see it & I was in a friends new offshore sport fishing boat going for a joy ride & just didn't see anything & I was really looking for it but I guess it could be possible I missed it but I doubt it. ..now what we don't know is if the coasties got it & it's my understanding that they won't do that, they let the salvage guys handle it... then the owner gets a bill...but that brings another question, that old of a boat may not have been worth anything after losing the keel & being sunk. So why would you pay a salvage company? Let them have it...take whatever money was donated & start over....or am I missing something? The only problem I see is the go fund me account if I understand correctly was to pay for salvage? Or was it a help me I lost everything type thing? If so take the money & start over... if it was for salvage then fraud..but I think the way it was stated was, help,salvage alone was X amount. ...if so then I don't think it's fraudulent to take the money and start over and let the salvage company have the old boat. Anybody's thoughts on this?
Old 23-02-2018, 12:25   #683
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Another Keel Lost; Another Capsize

From what I understand it was lying on the sandbar and was 1/4 visible.. where on the sandbar was it and.. could it have been pushed by waves and tides into deeper water where it would no longer be visible.. ie the 10ft MLWS springs channel.. maybe a boat with 6ft draught could locate it at low water..

Question.. which authority is responsible for maintaining buoyage and keeping navigation channels maintained and safe.. surely it is their responsibility to chase this up and get it sorted.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:32   #684

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Sunken sailboat causing safety concerns for boaters in John’s Pass | WFLA.com
Well it seems that as of the 20th the vessel was still in the water.
Are you sure about that? I was out there at that sandbar looking for it about the 17th or 18th ,not sure really exactly what day it was but I know it was earlier than 20th. I wonder if maybe they were just telling a story about what happened in the past? Because I was very concerned about hitting it in that power boat but we just simply couldn't see anything and I can't believe that I would Overlook something like that and not be able to see it. But anything is possible I suppose.
Old 23-02-2018, 12:48   #685

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

This article (Sunken sailboat causing safety concerns for boaters in John’s Pass | WFLA.com Dated 20 Feb), has an aerial photo that appears to show the boat breaking up and in several large pieces. I am not sure it is the same boat but if it is, then it is well beyond repair and the best that can be hoped for is to remove it.

The photo is at the end of the article.
Old 23-02-2018, 13:09   #686

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyDaveNY View Post
This article (Sunken sailboat causing safety concerns for boaters in John’s Pass | WFLA.com Dated 20 Feb), has an aerial photo that appears to show the boat breaking up and in several large pieces. I am not sure it is the same boat but if it is, then it is well beyond repair and the best that can be hoped for is to remove it.

The photo is at the end of the article.

Looks like it's getting torn up in a hurry. Soon there won't be much left and the sandbank will swallow the rest...
Old 23-02-2018, 13:22   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf_sail View Post
Looks like it's getting torn up in a hurry. Soon there won't be much left and the sandbank will swallow the rest...

Nice for the environment. Hopefully there isn’t too much fuel in the tank to make a slick when that breaks up also. This pair makes me furious. 16K if sent somewhere worthy could really have made a difference in a bunch of lives...
Old 23-02-2018, 13:28   #688

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Nice for the environment. Hopefully there isn’t too much fuel in the tank to make a slick when that breaks up also. This pair makes me furious. 16K if sent somewhere worthy could really have made a difference in a bunch of lives...

Yes if you donated, you should demand gofundme to pay you back, they "guarantee" the donations.

Agreed on the fuel tank. Sadly there was likely quite a bit in there. It also doesn't take much to create a mess.
Old 23-02-2018, 13:57   #689
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kita View Post
I would like to see someone else do that for a confirmation because I certainly didn't see it & I was in a friends new offshore sport fishing boat going for a joy ride & just didn't see anything & I was really looking for it but I guess it could be possible I missed it but I doubt it. ..now what we don't know is if the coasties got it & it's my understanding that they won't do that, they let the salvage guys handle it... then the owner gets a bill...but that brings another question, that old of a boat may not have been worth anything after losing the keel & being sunk. So why would you pay a salvage company? Let them have it...take whatever money was donated & start over....or am I missing something? The only problem I see is the go fund me account if I understand correctly was to pay for salvage? Or was it a help me I lost everything type thing? If so take the money & start over... if it was for salvage then fraud..but I think the way it was stated was, help,salvage alone was X amount. ...if so then I don't think it's fraudulent to take the money and start over and let the salvage company have the old boat. Anybody's thoughts on this?
The original gofundme was for salvage. Then they changed it to "we need a new boat".

Someone recently posted photos on FB that the boat was still there. Just a few days ago. I'll check, but as far as I know, they have not paid to get the boat removed.
Old 23-02-2018, 14:23   #690
cruiser

The gofundme page has changed again. Now it is saying they WILL salvage the boat before buying another one. Here's a link to an article from a few days ago.

wtsp.com | What’s making boats sink in John’s Pass
Closed Thread

Tags
capsize, keel, lost, size