Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2018, 18:27   #16

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Anchoring Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by felizcortez View Post
I purchased the height matched chain stopper from Maxwell. How far from the actual windlass should you install the chain stopper? Should it be right in front of the windlass or closer to the bow roller? I was unclear on this from the directions included with the stopper.

First consideration would be to put it where I could install a large backing plate, 3/4” with beveled edges, bonded to the overhead with epoxy or polyester and fender washers on the bolts.

As a guess I would want it further forward so that in conditions where the anchor chain is slacking and snatching it doesn’t make as much noise rattling on the deck. This is a pure guess from first principles, all my previous experience anchoring is with a short length of chain with athe bulk of the rose being line.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 20:01   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

felizcortez,

You will be needing to think about how you will make the transition from the rope to the chain as it comes in; you have to guide the chain onto its gypsy, and you might need to use a snubber line to control the chain by transferring the load to a cleat while you do it.

Ann
Old 14-07-2018, 11:49   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
felizcortez,

You will be needing to think about how you will make the transition from the rope to the chain as it comes in; you have to guide the chain onto its gypsy, and you might need to use a snubber line to control the chain by transferring the load to a cleat while you do it.

Ann
I already put the splice in between the line and the chain. The maxwell windlass is supposed to handle both line and chain well due to the gypsy design so I don't believe this will be a huge issue.
felizcortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2018, 19:06   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
I already put the splice in between the line and the chain. The maxwell windlass is supposed to handle both line and chain well due to the gypsy design so I don't believe this will be a huge issue.
It does handle rope/chain pretty well. Ive got an extended rope-chain splice on mine (meaning the splice is several links long vs the more common short splice). It sometimes skips a little on this long splice, but utlimatley works fine.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 15:57   #20

We finished the windlass install and will test out the setup this weekend.

We ended up going with the Maxwell RC8-8, the height matched chain stopper, and picked up one of the wireless remotes from Amazon. The remote works great and was only around $15. We also wired a switch into the cockpit as well so there is redundancy in case the top fails.

I'm planning on using the chain stopper to set the hook before attaching the snubber and also to retrieve the hook to take the load off the windlass. Any concerns with this plan?

Also we need to get some line for a snubber, I've heard good things about the Mantus Bridle system, but believe that a simple Rolling hitch might be the way to go.
Old 10-08-2018, 00:16   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
I'm planning on using the chain stopper to set the hook before attaching the snubber and also to retrieve the hook to take the load off the windlass. Any concerns with this plan?
No concerns, this is what the chainstopper is designed for.

The only consideration is that the chainstopper and chain provides zero (or almost zero) stretch. Generally when breaking the anchor out this is ideal, but it is different to using the windlass on its own where the clutch will give if the loads become excessive.

You can of course stll flip the chainstopper open and still use the windlass clutch if some give is needed (with the proviso that high forces are not good for the windlass in the long term).

Quote:
Also we need to get some line for a snubber, I've heard good things about the Mantus Bridle system, but believe that a simple Rolling hitch might be the way to go.
Many people use a rolling hitch (or modified rolling hitch) but in very strong wind, just when it most needed, there is some risk of slippage.

Better alternatives are a Prusik loop tied with Klemheist hitch, or some use an Icicle hitch, but the easiest and in my view the best solution is a Dyneema soft shackle.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:03   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

Better alternatives are a Prusik loop tied with Klemheist hitch, or some use an Icicle hitch, but the easiest and in my view the best solution is a Dyneema soft shackle.
Do you have an example of the dyneema soft shackle and how that is used? Does it just get tied on to the end of a snubber line?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:22   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
...Many people use a rolling hitch (or modified rolling hitch) but in very strong wind, just when it most needed, there is some risk of slippage.

Those look like excellent options noelex, but I've been using rolling hitches for many years, holding through upwards of 60 knots, and I've never noticed my hitches slipping under load. They do occasionally loosen under no-load conditions, or when they drag on the bottom. But once loaded, they never slip for me. Maybe it's my 3/8" chain, or that I usually use four wraps?
Old 10-08-2018, 08:28   #24

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I really don't like mucking about with tying hitches for the snubber... I use a chain shackle on a 4 meter or so snubber with a bowline at one end on the main center cleat. No bridle either, just out one side. I think the boat yaws a bit less with the offcenter pull.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 08:47   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I really don't like mucking about with tying hitches for the snubber... I use a chain shackle on a 4 meter or so snubber with a bowline at one end on the main center cleat. No bridle either, just out one side. I think the boat yaws a bit less with the offcenter pull.

Whatever works, eh? I find it pretty easy to tie the rolling hitches, which is partly why I like them vs other options. And I always tie two in a bridle. I think it limits our yawing ... funny eh.

I actually went through a number of different chain hooks. All of them either would slip off too easily, or were hard to set and remove. Rolling hitches are way easier for our setup, but like I say, use whatever works.
Old 10-08-2018, 09:07   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Do you have an example of the dyneema soft shackle and how that is used? Does it just get tied on to the end of a snubber line?
The Dyneema soft shackle passes through the hole in a chain link so there is no possibility of slipping.

It is normally fed through a thimble spliced at the end of nylon snubber, but we use a length of Acera for chafe protection over the bow (this is HMPE fibre similar to Dyneema) on the end of the nylon snubber. The soft shackle is fed through an eye splice in the Acera before it is closed.

Attachment is very quick. It can be done in the dark with cold fingers and one hand if necessary. As there is nothing to tie there is no possibility of mistakes.

Unlike a chain hook there is minimal wear on the galvanising and there is no possibility it can shake loose. The soft shackle can be winched over the bow roller without any damage and is considerably stronger than the nylon snubber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9B1B5BCD-BF49-4202-AFD1-A435850EB59D.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	441.3 KB
ID:	175183  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 13:52   #27

Boat: 1998 Sealine Statesman 42ft - Twin Cummins 6BTA

I use a bridle with a chain hook at the end. I find it's very easy to attach and retrieve. The bridle helps prevent horsing on my 42 ft cruiser. I let out much chain that drops between the bridle parts. It holds well - 3/8 inch chain.
GeneM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 14:10   #28
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneM View Post
I use a bridle with a chain hook at the end. I find it's very easy to attach and retrieve. The bridle helps prevent horsing on my 42 ft cruiser. I let out much chain that drops between the bridle parts. It holds well - 3/8 inch chain.
Yep, we got a Mantus hook and in spite of our skepticism at first, it works well and has held in some strong winds (30 knots). I do have to lean out over the anchor roller to install it. I haven't figured out how to rig it so it runs over the roller without fouling on the bail. I'm not keen on removing the bail, although it would make life simpler in some respects.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 20:14   #29

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:

I have a Mantus chain hook and never use it...relegated it to service on my storm snubber. 99% of the time I use a soft shackle for snubber to chain connection. Fast, easy, and extremely secure.

Tags
anchor, anchoring