Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2017, 12:27   #1

Boat: Knysna 440
Anchor Chain

We are replacing our anchor chain since the PO sized it incorrectly (doesn't fit the gypsy~ which now needs to be replaced too since they just let the chain tear it up).

Looking at 3 chains that are all 3/8"Grade 43 high-test

Acco: working load 5400# at $780
Titan: working load 4050# at $718
Seachoice: working load not listed at $367

Obviously I wouldn't think of buying the seachoice chain, but I am curious about the difference in working load of the Acco vs. Titan. Shouldn't all chain that is of a certain grade and diameter have similar working loads?

I apologize to the engineers and metal enthusiast out there that may be face palming right now because this is a dumb question, but I am really curious.
BillsWife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 13:31   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Re: Anchor Chain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsWife1 View Post
We are replacing our anchor chain since the PO sized it incorrectly (doesn't fit the gypsy~ which now needs to be replaced too since they just let the chain tear it up).

Obviously I wouldn't think of buying the seachoice chain, but I am curious about the difference in working load of the Acco vs. Titan. Shouldn't all chain that is of a certain grade and diameter have similar working loads?

I apologize to the engineers and metal enthusiast out there that may be face palming right now because this is a dumb question, but I am really curious.
How many feet is that for? The cheapest I see for Acco G40 (High Test) is $4.81 a foot if you order a barrel. Freight free. BBB is more expensive $4.38 and WLL is lower- 2650 lb. Just curious.
Old 30-12-2017, 13:37   #3

Boat: Knysna 440

That price is for a half barrel at 200' from Defender. I'm committed to the chain type since it matches our windlass.

My real question is what's up with the working load differences in two similar grade chains???
BillsWife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 14:40   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillsWife1 View Post

Check the spec on Titans site
ISO High Test Windlass Chain - G43 | Titan Marine Products
It shows 5400lbs for 3/8th.

If you are comparing US chain to Euro chain, then use breaking strength, as the safety factors used to calculate SWL are different - with the US one being more on the marketing side.

With a quality chain (non-Chinese) I'd concentrate more on the quality of the galvanizing than the swl if it is a chain you will be using daily. Acco has had issues with thin, short lived galvanizing.
We switched to Maggi chain, Italian. It has superior galvanizing compared to the Acco.

Tags
anchor