Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2019, 06:38   #1

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"
A Better Stopper Knot?

I have been tying bowlines in lieu of figure 8's for years as stoppers in my lines as it it nice to have a loop at the end. Makes it easier to find in a pile and, if the line runs out to it's end at a block or a line stopper, it is easy to attach another line to take the tension off. The problem, of course, is that bowlines tend to work themselves loose in time if they are not under tension. A while back, I started tying a modified version that has worked out really well. It is fast and easy to tie and will not come undone. I have also found it useful for tying safety lines to tools when working underwater. I don't know if it has a name and I don't have access to an Ashley's, but "constrictor bowline" makes sense as you are basically tying a bowline using a half hitch instead of loop for the rabbit hole.

Other alternatives would include the Yosemite Bowline, Double Bowline and the Water Bowline, but the Yosemite Bowline has the tail sticking out the wrong way for a clean stopper knot and the Water Bowline and Double Bowline are a little fiddlier to set up. In addition, I suspect the Double Bowline may be able to work it's way loose eventually.

The main disadvantage of this knot is that, if it is put under much tension, it is more difficult to untie. In normal use a Yosemite Bowline would be better for security, but for a stopper or underwater work it is fine.

Anyhow, just something folks might want to try. Just tie a slippery hitch and then pass the tail around the tree trunk and down the rabbit hole again. Pull on the loop, not on the tail, to tension or it has a tendency to collapse.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020749.jpg
Views:	914
Size:	436.4 KB
ID:	189893  

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 07:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009
Re: A Better Stopper Knot?

Why not send your photo over to Alan Grogono at Grog's to see if he can identify it? You may have found a new species, and they'll name it after you. https://www.animatedknots.com/

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:00   #3

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Cool knot, Mike. Just tried it and it works nice. Thanks.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 06:28   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
Why not send your photo over to Alan Grogono at Grog's to see if he can identify it? You may have found a new species, and they'll name it after you. https://www.animatedknots.com/
Good idea, thanks. A Google search of "bowline variations" did not show it, although I learned some cool new knots. I had hoped to run it by Brion Toss through the Spar Talk forum, but it seems that has been down for a couple of years, which is unfortunate as that was a great forum. I'll give Alan a try.

Old 12-04-2019, 13:28   #5

Boat: LUCIA 40 Maestro

After 50 years of sailing, lsat week I learned a "new one" ...
search for "Bank Robber Knot" ... also very cool ! Now I use it daily.
Old 12-04-2019, 13:34   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

How about an overhand loop with a Yosemite finish? I know that is secure if I want to pull on it.

I sometimes tie two stopper, about 12 inches apart. Likewise, it is so I have a useful tail.

But neat!
Old 12-04-2019, 17:22   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Good idea, thanks. A Google search of "bowline variations" did not show it, although I learned some cool new knots. I had hoped to run it by Brion Toss through the Spar Talk forum, but it seems that has been down for a couple of years, which is unfortunate as that was a great forum. I'll give Alan a try.

I haven't found it in Ashley's.

My only concern with it would be how "jammy" it is.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 17:32   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

there's another difference with the bowline: the rabbit goes around the tree the wrong way. Somehow with this knot you get a twist so that it doesn't seem a problem but I wonder how it would be the right way around
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 06:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I haven't found it in Ashley's.

My only concern with it would be how "jammy" it is.
Just for fun I tension-ed one between a couple of winches. Very hard to untie as that half hitch really gets snug. But you would not use this knot in a situation where it is under a lot of load. A simple bowline or one of the variations would be better. I only use this knot as a stopper. I was using it for tying tools to my wrist while working underwater, as it is less fiddly than a "water bowline", but I have come to prefer a fisherman's knot doubled back on itself to form a loop for this purpose.

Old 13-04-2019, 06:24   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falbala60 View Post
After 50 years of sailing, lsat week I learned a "new one" ...
search for "Bank Robber Knot" ... also very cool ! Now I use it daily.
Yes, I've been using that one for many years as well to short tie dinghy and kayak painters while I get in, then just yank on the tail and you're off! AKA "Highwayman's Hitch".

Old 13-04-2019, 06:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
there's another difference with the bowline: the rabbit goes around the tree the wrong way. Somehow with this knot you get a twist so that it doesn't seem a problem but I wonder how it would be the right way around
I think the issue is that we are currently in the southern hemisphere, so the rabbit goes around the tree the other way. I'll try it again when we get home.

Old 13-04-2019, 07:28   #12
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
I think the issue is that we are currently in the southern hemisphere, so the rabbit goes around the tree the other way. I'll try it again when we get home.
I'm not sure what you mean... are you suggesting that it's a matter of preference or that I'm joking or is it ridicule?

The bitter end must end up inside the loop, not outside so there is only one way around the tree that is correct. I know you made your own new knot so whatever way you decide it should be is the right way... but not for the bowline. There is a good reason for it, namely to keep that bitter end out of the way so it doesn't interfere with something or gets caught up into something. Anyway, I don't get your response but it's okay I guess
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 08:10   #13

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

This is a very handy version of the Bowline that I've been using for a number of years as both a general purpose knot, stopper and when working in the water. Yes, when under very heavy loads it is tough to untie, but I don't use it for big loads. It truly secures the bowline which can unravel when relaxed, particularly in the water. I never knew it's name, just tried it one day and it worked.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2019, 12:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
I'm not sure what you mean... are you suggesting that it's a matter of preference or that I'm joking or is it ridicule?

The bitter end must end up inside the loop, not outside so there is only one way around the tree that is correct. I know you made your own new knot so whatever way you decide it should be is the right way... but not for the bowline. There is a good reason for it, namely to keep that bitter end out of the way so it doesn't interfere with something or gets caught up into something. Anyway, I don't get your response but it's okay I guess
Just a bit of tongue in cheek, certainly no ridicule intended. Southern hemisphere, coriolus, water spinning the opposite way in the toilet, etc. I agree that there is a right way to go around the tree with a bowline, as you point out, but with this knot the tail and both sides of the loop pass through the hole, so the tail ends up laying between the sides of the loop, rather than to the side, no matter which way you pass the tail around the tree.

Old 13-04-2019, 12:55   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrimshaw4 View Post
This is a very handy version of the Bowline that I've been using for a number of years as both a general purpose knot, stopper and when working in the water. Yes, when under very heavy loads it is tough to untie, but I don't use it for big loads. It truly secures the bowline which can unravel when relaxed, particularly in the water. I never knew it's name, just tried it one day and it worked.
Great minds think alike. Another use I have found is in stiff polypro where a bowline tends to come undone. Apparently it has no name, but I have been calling it a "constrictor bowline".

Tags
knot