Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 22:34   #16

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
Re: 50ft yacht

It's easy doable I spent the last 23 yrs in the med sailing 90% of time sailing single handed but if you are thinking of making a profit on by buying a 120k yacht in Europe and then selling in Oz for 230k think again carefully the oz custom guys are pricks and will bump up the price of the value of yacht on your import duties and customs gst
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 02:00   #17

Thanks guys, I love the rain and it never stopped any of my previous parades

So, bearing in mind that there is a eensy weensy tiny possibility of selling the boat in Oz, would you get more for a 50ft yacht compared to what you bought it for, or a 43/45ft yacht, including the difference in what one might spend on a 45ft in comparison to a 50ft (hope that makes sense).

Regardless of the taxes, import etc. (which you would pay on any boat with a foreign flag), there is no doubt that yachts in Europe are significantly cheaper than Australia, even with import duty and I think a one way sail over 2 to 3 years with maybe a couple of breaks in the rainy/cyclone season for contracting again and dry docking the boat (IT contracts are about $850 per day so worth a few months and a flight home for a break in the rainy/cyclone season etc.) I might make a few dollars on the boat. I understand that it would not cover the cost of the trip but I have money for that.

Also, would you think a production boat sells better than a blue water cruiser if we had any chance of selling it here in Oz i.e. Bene vs ???

I only ask because maybe a 47ft boat is big enough but if there is a possibility of the 50' being more lucrative once in Oz then it'd be lovely to have the extra size for living aboard....

It seems that the general feeling is that a 50' is a lovely size to live on and not much different to sailing a 47' which is the smallest I would like
Oscarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 02:30   #18

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

Well let's put it this way at boats online web site there are 136 used beneteau for sale the average sale price works out at 179k your looking at purchasing a 120k plus around 1500 euros for paper work in Europe and $900 aussie flag registration then you will spend 20k on it over next 3 yrs then add 10%gst. +5% duty 1% insurance =139200k plus your 20k spend on upgrades repairs etc and if you sold in Oz for say 179000 then take off broker fee 10%

You won't make a penny

Ps the aussie dollar is getting weak too so you will need a few more dollars now
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 03:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by beneteau-500 View Post
Well let's put it this way at boats online web site there are 136 used beneteau for sale the average sale price works out at 179k your looking at purchasing a 120k plus around 1500 euros for paper work in Europe and $900 aussie flag registration then you will spend 20k on it over next 3 yrs then add 10%gst. +5% duty 1% insurance =139200k plus your 20k spend on upgrades repairs etc and if you sold in Oz for say 179000 then take off broker fee 10%

You won't make a penny

Ps the aussie dollar is getting weak too so you will need a few more dollars now
Wow, that is the best breakdown I have seen so far, thanks for putting that together, it looks GOOD to me and I understand that you are using an average but if you look at Yachthub and search for Aus/NZ 50' Beneteau you'll see that anything above a 1993 is $280k or above.

Either way, breaking even after 2 years would be amazing, much better than starting off buying a yacht for $180 (min) before we have even left port
Old 14-02-2015, 15:38   #20

Hi Oscarb,

I recently bought a 50ft ketch and am looking forward to my sailing adventures. I bought an older boat that needs lots of TLC and system renewal, but it is a very good basic boat underneath. I have read lots and spoken to a lot of yachties who tell me that sailing the 50ft yacht is harder to manage than a 40footer. However, although the sails are larger and therefore will take more managing I am not so sure that there is a lot of difference. I know there will be a lot of other opinion from much more experienced sailors, but many of the threads I have read and the conversations I have had tend to suggest it's an attitude thing. If you think you can then you probably can. You just need to be realistic in thinking about what you can do.

Good luck with your venture.

PS. I am in Brisbane too so if you would like to catch up I can tell you more about what I have found with my boat so far.

H
OldLessSalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 16:06   #21

Hi OldLessSalty, thanks for the post, I am hearing the same thing as what you've written re: size of boat, it seems docking is the big one? Would love to meet up! We're heading down to Wynnum Manly this arvo to try find a spot on someone's boat for the club regatta, all part of the learning process. If you can IM me your contact details I'll give you a call and we can catch up for a coffee

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tags
yacht