Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2020, 09:45   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: 37 ft Wave height Gulf of Mexico

https://twitter.com/LiveStormsMedia

this is what storm with 37 ft seas does when eyewall passes thru louisiana..
might want to see what you can do for these people.. cameron was destroyed. 150 people remained to take chances against natiure. they lost...where are they......the surge was only 20 ft in cameron and holly beach and some other gone locations...what can folks do for these folks...
granted a 37 ft sea in gom is geenormous washing machine material. but these realities exist. now the cleanup.
bless your hearts. now help em.
chemical leak in lake charles from a chemical plant.....biiiig leak.
communities levelled.
the help needs help. louisiana cajun navy workin their hearts out for these hugely effected communities... many folks sending baby clothes and other needed items, already starting to be sent in. 2 rigs filled with needed goods in transit... what can folks here do for these folks.
look at video. there is much to be done.
btw--these are not sensationalized reports. these are real ... i watched as much as i could last night.. places no longer exist..when i went to bed, eyewall had not destroyed much . had not arrived in lake charles . eye was spozed to pass over sulphur..i didnt see that.. i am searching for the videos today
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 12:50   #32

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

"Your leader in weather video brokerage."

Do you understand what this means?

In case you miss my point, this is the tag line for the 'news' service you're using as a source for "not sensationalized reports", which is exactly what they are. I.e. just another form of disaster capitalism.

The effects of the storm turned out to be very close to what was previously described.

The highest documented storm surge was 11.07' measured directly between Holly Beach and Cameron, by the NOAA station located in Calcasieu Pass itself; the water level was over ten feet for less than two hours and subsided just as quickly as it had risen, as it is wont to do unless trapped behind ill-advised levees.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=capl1

The inhabitants of those communities were all well-advised of the risks, most of them left; those that stayed took their chances as they saw fit. The powers that be and the community will see to it that people are helped as needed, as is always the case around here; we've been through this before.

There were very strong winds on the coast at landfall, gusting to about 110 kts from the east for about thirty minutes before the eye, and then to about 90 kts from the west for about thirty minutes after the eye, which had a direct influence on the height, or lack of height, of the surge. As noted before, the relatively fast forward speed as well as the landfall directly perpendicular to the coast was quite fortuitous, as was landfall at that particular section of the coast.

As for Lake Charles proper, the highest surge they saw was about 6 ft, which is much more slowly receding (down to about 4 feet now) presumably because of a combination of the aforementioned levees and just the natural drain-back rate through the complex of bayous, marsh and other waterways dominating the area.

As for the fire and chlorine leak it's too soon to tell what happened, but the plant was evacuated, apparently before the storm, so who knows what the cause was. They are working to control it. I'd be more inclined to think it started as a result of wind damage or lightning, but it's kind of a moot point.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 14:23   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

brokering news--is done to slow folks to actually see it. it is a much better alternative to msm with its lies and running fakery narrative since 1971.
cameron received 11.5 ft surge. you going to badmlouth nhc for lying about the sensationalized 20 ft promised by their mets???
your disaster capitalism was produced by nhc in their warnings of 20 ft surge to lowlying areas. and you call chasers sensationalizing?? fyc.
the best storm news i have ever seen hasbeen from chasers in the moment. what is your excuse..
the leak at the lake charles chlorine plant is due to the storm damage received .
as are the other leaks in refineries and other unmentioned areas of chemical creations.
i enjoyed my overly long nocturnal wakeful hours of watching another chaser report the issues AS THEY OCCURRED and not from a sensationalist newspaper trying to get ratings.
at least brett adair is not trying for ratings and spewing lies...wapo much?
and what do you squawk about louisiana cajun navy/storm patrol.. cannot be good. those fellas and gals are awesome. will you be helping them help louisiana?
oh i forgot. you dislike storm chasers..hahahahahaha. your loss.
so i gather the pictures taken of the damages are lies and bs??? why dont you learn about this topic insetead of spouting off about labels.
you in slidell were most fortunate the andfall was sw louisiana not nola. you got off relatively unscathed. yet you spew on the actualities in cameron and lake charles. were you there?? no. of course not. was dangerous
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2020, 20:41   #34

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So much for that other thread where folks said they would head out into a storm.
Old 31-08-2020, 19:12   #35

Boat: Hinckley Bermuda 40

The shrimp boats from Cameron all went to Lake Charles to “ride it out.” 15 of 18 steel hulled boats, smallest 50 ft. sank at the docks or after breaking loose.
Our boat was at a city dock when Rita passed over in ‘05. And sank at the dock. And not a single line snapped.
Old 31-08-2020, 19:14   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
So much for that other thread where folks said they would head out into a storm.
That’s what Fantome did when Hurricane Mitch blew thru. Full rigged ship, lost with all hands.
Old 31-08-2020, 19:26   #37

I assume by this time everyone here has followed the news. We’re on Sabine Lake, about two miles west of Louisiana, and about 26 miles west of Cameron. Satellite imagery indicates the eye passing directly over Cameron. That hurricane-plagued community was destroyed, the 4th time in my lifetime. NOAA estimates the 20+ ft. surge did occur in the marshes east of Cameron, probably the most uninhabited stretch of Gulf Coast east of Corpus.
On our lake, which had been predicted to see 11+ ft. of surge, the scuff marks on the floating dock risers indicate maybe a 3 ft. Rise. Go figure.
Entergy, the electric utility, shows about half of their service area in western Louisiana to be without power and cautions it will be weeks before full restoration.
Old 31-08-2020, 19:50   #38

Glad you posted that wave data- very sobering. But tell me, just where do you find that table? I can get all kinds of buoy data, but the tabulation- expecially the wave data- is elusive.
Mickey Rouse
Old 01-09-2020, 01:16   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
brokering news--is done to slow folks to actually see it. it is a much better alternative to msm with its lies and running fakery narrative since 1971.
cameron received 11.5 ft surge. you going to badmlouth nhc for lying about the sensationalized 20 ft promised by their mets???
your disaster capitalism was produced by nhc in their warnings of 20 ft surge to lowlying areas. and you call chasers sensationalizing?? fyc.
the best storm news i have ever seen hasbeen from chasers in the moment. what is your excuse..
the leak at the lake charles chlorine plant is due to the storm damage received .
as are the other leaks in refineries and other unmentioned areas of chemical creations.
i enjoyed my overly long nocturnal wakeful hours of watching another chaser report the issues AS THEY OCCURRED and not from a sensationalist newspaper trying to get ratings.
at least brett adair is not trying for ratings and spewing lies...wapo much?
and what do you squawk about louisiana cajun navy/storm patrol.. cannot be good. those fellas and gals are awesome. will you be helping them help louisiana?
oh i forgot. you dislike storm chasers..hahahahahaha. your loss.
so i gather the pictures taken of the damages are lies and bs??? why dont you learn about this topic insetead of spouting off about labels.
you in slidell were most fortunate the andfall was sw louisiana not nola. you got off relatively unscathed. yet you spew on the actualities in cameron and lake charles. were you there?? no. of course not. was dangerous
Well, pardon me, I certainly missed this.

No, 'brokering news' in this case is selling it, exactly the same as the 'MSM; does it, except that whatever pittance these scavengers make from their brand of sensationalism goes directly into their pocket.

'Disaster capitalism' in this context simply means making money off of a disaster, which is exactly what these 'storm chasers' are doing, thanks to people like you, and the 'social media' destroyer capitalists.

The NHC didn't lie about anything, nor did they shirk their duties. Almost certainly they knew what the outcome would be, exactly as I, and I'm sure many others did, and if you look back in this thread you'll see (if you have an open mind) was pretty accurately predicted. The 20' surge prediction was not a guaranty of a 20' surge, but a warning of the possibilty of one.

If you calm down, you might be able to understand how I was able to predict that that was unlikely, though I'm not going to re-iterate it for the third time...

As for these moronic 'storm chasers', well, if watching thier antics entertains you, I've no problem with that. They certainly are amusing. Just for your enlightenment, I've also been a 'storm chaser' for more than 40 years (I guess before that was even 'a thing'), but not to sell stories, but to sail. In case you're unaware, warm-season wind around here is an exception; high wind is an addiction.

And for me 'helping out' the 'cajun navy', uhh---I'm part of them. There was certainly no need for me to drive 250 miles to help them, exactly as there was no need for any Lake Charletan (haha) to drive 250 miles to help us in any other storm. That you seem to misunderstand this says more about your assumptions than my (your perceived) lack of concern.

And "learning about the topic" before "spouting off about labels". as you say "hahahahahahahahahah", verbatim from a previous thread about the same storm;

"Think the Keys are in the clear.

But if the latest track forecasts hold, even if the storms fail to amount to much in intensity, which is far from certain, if the first one doesn't cause much surge flooding, the second will, because that from the previous one won't have time to subside.

The hope right now is that both continue at a steady or fast pace to limit the build up of surge, and the daily rate of rainfall.

Even so, again at current track predictions, looks like southeastern Louisiana and western coastal Mississippi are in for, at minimum, storm tide levels we've not seen in quite a few years (15?).

Got a busy day tomorrow..."

I've seen, and been through, every storm that's hit southeastern La since 1983, and others in the Northern Gulf, and seen entire communities washed up against levees, embankments and railroad right-of-ways. Your --- chiding? --- is like the slightest sprinkle of an early summer shower in comparison...
Old 01-09-2020, 21:40   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyrouse View Post
...That hurricane-plagued community was destroyed, the 4th time in my lifetime. NOAA estimates the 20+ ft. surge did occur in the marshes east of Cameron, probably the most uninhabited stretch of Gulf Coast east of Corpus.
On our lake, which had been predicted to see 11+ ft. of surge, the scuff marks on the floating dock risers indicate maybe a 3 ft. Rise. Go figure...
Seems like they'd learn their lesson, and build somewhere else, instead of relying on whatever public dole bails them out yet again. Unless of course they're self-insured and have made a cost/benefit descision to live in such a "hurricane-plagued" area. In which case they 'deserve' our interest, but not necessarily our 'help'.

Or do we collectively need to re-think the value of and expectations of availability for fresh wild shrimp?

Would be interesting to see reports, instead of some "estimates the 20+ ft. surge did occur in the marshes east of Cameron". Once again, there was probably no 20' storm surge anywhere along the coast, except (remotely) possibly in any east-facing, dead-end bays with 20' levees very immediately to the east of Cameron.

Again, the storm surge warnings are not predictions of certainty; they're warnings of possibility. Had the storm's eye passed 130 miles to the west, say over Freeport, there would have been a possibility of a 12' surge in the Houston-area bays (though because of geographical differences [barrier islands, coastal sea bottom profile, angle of incidence of impact, storm speed, storm-wind area profile, etc.] this was also a little less likely). Had the NHC thought the storm was going to back from their estimated storm track to the west, they'd have boosted the storm surge warning for your area to 20', not as a guaranty that there'd be one, but that there was the possibility of one...

Quote:
The shrimp boats from Cameron all went to Lake Charles to “ride it out.” 15 of 18 steel hulled boats, smallest 50 ft. sank at the docks or after breaking loose...
Would again like to see something more than anecdotal reports. Certainly seems a very, very high casualty rate for a supposed hurricane hole... or remarkably bad luck...or remarkably bad preparation. Or perhaps we should lay the blame on a storm-induced tornado???

Quote:
Glad you posted that wave data- very sobering. But tell me, just where do you find that table? I can get all kinds of buoy data, but the tabulation- expecially the wave data- is elusive.
Mickey Rouse
The data available from buoys is variable from buoy to buoy, and is subject to availability issues for respective buoys. That particular data set came from this buoy.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_pa...?station=42395

The data shown there is limited to the previous day's observations at 10 minute intervals.

For the previous 45 day's data in 10 minute intervals in a different format, this is the page

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/data/realtime2/42395.txt
Old 01-09-2020, 22:39   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post

Or do we collectively need to re-think the value of and expectations of availability for fresh wild shrimp?
Well, fresh wild shrimp might be one thing....or gasoline.
Since the 70’s Cameron has been one of the two or three busiest ports servicing offshore petroleum exploration and production. The eighteen or so boats shrimping out of Cameron provide a fraction of the revenue stream that offshore services offer. Less than a mile to get offshore, as other offshore service hubs in Texas have shut down (Sabine Pass, Freeport, Port O’Connor, Aransas) the remaining operators have concentrated in Cameron and Port Fouchon. It’s just too convenient to the near-shore production fields.
As for the shrimpers, that’s just a hard-headed bunch of seamen. Jobs , businesses, and a traditional way of life easily fuel the “won’t happen again soon” point of view. If there’s much doubt about the local mind-set, that 150 residents refused to leave in spite of Cat 4 warnings’s not just scary talk. Hurricane Ike, which visted us at Crystal Beach (Bolivar Peninsula) In ‘08 resulted in as-yet unaccounted absences of 32 Peninsula residents who refused to leave.
Audrey hit Cameron in ‘57 with ample warning, yet evacuations were a non-event. Prox. 500 died.
Those residents of those marshes take a lot of convincing, and I doubt its done yet. And besides, New Orleans is still there too.

Tags
gulf of mexico, Mexico