Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2019, 09:47   #46

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42
Re: Yep, one of those guys ;)

I'm going to suggest that you start on building your knowledge base while you're looking at boats. Canadian Power Squadron offers various courses that might be of use if you can fit them into your work schedule. However only in Terrace and Prince George in your area. Understanding marine weather is critical. And you need to understand coastal navigation to operate safely. Trying to move a boat to Kitimat or Rupert in the fall may be very challenging because of the likely weather. Get yourself a subscription to Pacific Yachting . Lots of good articles about boating in BC and lots of advertising. At least gives you an idea about what's out there in our area. Moorage for 40 ft+ boats is not easy to find esp in southern BC - Terrace PSquad might be a valuable resource re local conditions. Remember that you have to get to the boat to be able to work on it. You won't be doing a lot of that through the winter months in your part of the world methinks. Sounds like your brother will be a great resource re the boat, but you really need to increase your own knowledge base too if you're going to operate safely. Integrate those factors into your planning process at an early stage.
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2019, 16:07   #47

Re: Yep, one of those guys ;)

Thanks for all the replies guys, I have decided to go the route of buying a larger boat and learning, outfitting and fixing one boat.

We climbed on a few more expensive boats, the fit, finish and general quality of boats from 50k-150k did not impress me at all. I much prefer buying something sub 50k and dropping another 50-100k into it at a quality level I want. Now having said that, my brother has offered his services so that helps the decision a bunch. Needless to say climbing on a bunch of boats helped make the decision, maybe I am picky, but such as life.

We are currently getting a boat surveyed, if all goes well we will posting what we get. Financing etc is all good to go, just the survey needs to be done.

I will continuing my plans to do lessons in the fall, or whenever I can remotely or in person. I also apologize for my delayed response I was getting laser eye surgery done in Vancouver so being online and replying wasnt high on the list.

Again I did seriously consider all advice and opinions and assumed they were given from a position of logic and experience. They were not flippantly ignored.

RR
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote