Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-04-2019, 14:56   #1

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch
which thread best?

Hi all.

Hadda question for the hive mind about which thread category is most suitable for a query about rigging an asymmetrical spinnaker on a 53' Skookum cutter-rigged ketch. Was thinking "Deck Hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting" but could also see a case for "Construction, Maintenance & Refit".

Prefatory, should say: crux of the biscuit is placement of new asym halyard block and mounting hardware. No bowsprit, headsail on furler acts as forestay, connected directly at highest point on mast cap on high end and maximally fwd at anchor pulpit on low end, i.e. no room to add another block *above* forestay. Mast is deck-stepped 58' a boxed Dougfir. Aware of mast "cranes" but prefer not to go that route (for variety of reasons).

Tho I realize it's "wrong" (it's a commercial fishboat, so must confess there's a lotta jack-leg solutioning already baked into the cake), was thinking of positioning the asym halyard block *below* headsailfurler/forestay but well *above* staysail mastmount, so when dousing onna jibe, close the bag on asym, walk the tamed tyrant thru "foretriangle" (not sure am using proper parlance, but i.e. route asym *between* forestay/headsaifurler and stayssailfurler) and open er up when ready on opposite side. That work?

Such, fwiw, is my thinking, subject to (potentially!) animated correction. Any insights/advice on proper thread selex would be much appreciated. Tx.
Albee rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2019, 21:15   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: which thread best?

This is getting a little meta.
Go for the first and be done with.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote