Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2015, 20:59   #1

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
tis the season for new members

Hello all, you may have guessed I am another new member. My name is Chris and have been cyber stalking this forum for a while now. This spring my wife and I finally bought our own boat, so I finally felt worthy of introducing myself. We found a well maintained 1980 san Juan 7.7. The seller was nice enough to drive the 3+ hours to my lake and help me raise the mast and rig up. One more example of how nice sailors are
The rest of the summer will be dedicated to playing and learning so we can rework and modify over the cold alberta winter. The only projects for this sailing season will be a depth finder, cheap as I can get away with, and replacing the missing head.
So that brings me to my first of many questions. On a boat of this size that will be primarily fresh water, is it worth the money and hassel of reinstalling a marine head or just go with a camping porti pottie.
Thanks for listening and I welcome all input from the wealth of experience here.
Chris
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 21:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: tis the season for new members

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
Hello all, you may have guessed I am another new member. My name is Chris and have been cyber stalking this forum for a while now. This spring my wife and I finally bought our own boat, so I finally felt worthy of introducing myself. We found a well maintained 1980 san Juan 7.7. The seller was nice enough to drive the 3+ hours to my lake and help me raise the mast and rig up. One more example of how nice sailors are
The rest of the summer will be dedicated to playing and learning so we can rework and modify over the cold alberta winter. The only projects for this sailing season will be a depth finder, cheap as I can get away with, and replacing the missing head.
So that brings me to my first of many questions. On a boat of this size that will be primarily fresh water, is it worth the money and hassel of reinstalling a marine head or just go with a camping porti pottie.
Thanks for listening and I welcome all input from the wealth of experience here.
Chris
Howdy and Welcome Aboard the Forum!

Regarding the head question:

On a small boat like that, I think it depends on how frequently you plan to use the boat/head and how long you plan on staying on the boat (just a day or two at a time?). If it is only for short periods (day sailing, weekends) then I would either:

1. Use a Porta Potty (I personally don't like them, because of odor, weight.)

2. Use a 5 gallon paint bucket (with tight fitting lid and add-on toilet seat you can buy for a few bucks, specially made for such buckets) with kitty litter. Dump the contents (in plastic bag). Light weight, easy, no need to carry a big wet smelly heavy plastic thing back and forth to the boat (like a porta potty).

Good luck on your sailing adventures and have fun!

Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 21:36   #3

Boat: Vancouver 27

A composting head is also a good option. They're typically a bit deeper than a portapotti so it may not be a glamorous fit on your boat, but they don't smell!

If you look up "c-head" you can find the dimensions for a cardboard mockup that would give you a good idea. Unless you build your own, they're more expensive than a portapotti, but still less than a standard head/holding tank.

Congrats man!
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 03:41   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 17:51   #5

Boat: Mirage 35

Hey, a sailor from Alberta! I grew up there, went to U of A, but discovered sailing (on Georgian Bay) after I moved east. No specific advice to offer right now except: do it.
Mirage35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2015, 19:35   #6

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Thanks for the welcome everyone. The composting head does look like a good option.
Anglaisinhull, I spent a year at UofA. For marine biology. Turns out if you fall asleep during class you don't get to come back.
We went to the boat today for a picnic. First day in months there was no wind! Bad news is we had too pull it out of the water as they didn't have any slips left. Previous members have priority. As I was pulling the trailer out I caught a rough edge of concrete and blew a tire. Completely shredded it moving 30 feet to clear the launch. sailing can be expensive even when you're not sailing!
That said it was still the most fun I've had all week.

Chris
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
member, new member