Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 18:08   #76

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Sewing Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by brankin View Post
That is a $2,500 machine
I noticed after I posted - WOW. I did an EBAY search for used CONSEW and found a few older ones in good shape for 300 -500; all metal; walking foot but no zigzag. We are struggling with this too. Sailright offered a deal last month we should have grabbed for 799 with all the extra toys.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 18:33   #77

Boat: Endeavour 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I noticed after I posted - WOW. I did an EBAY search for used CONSEW and found a few older ones in good shape for 300 -500; all metal; walking foot but no zigzag. We are struggling with this too. Sailright offered a deal last month we should have grabbed for 799 with all the extra toys.
This is a real nice machine but lacks the case etc. Consew make high quality machines in the industrial line (made in Japan) but I don't have any experience with one of these(probably china). If you are interested, google up this machine and the leather workers net because several have been put into service over there

Consew CP146R Portable Walking Foot Zigzag Industrial Machine

Sailrite does a nice job packaging all the bells and whistles you need in one bundle. On the other hand, the consew is designed to be carried by the handle on top and you could stick it a locker when you are through. It is also made to go into a commercial table which you can do with the sailrite also. I made a sewing table that I hook up to the folding table mounts in the cockpit ...I drop the LZ-1 in the hole and get to work. Makes it more like a commercial machine. My next little project is to take a piece of fiberglass and mount the foot peddle on it with some silicone non-slip on the back so the foot peddle doesn't scoot all over the place when I sew.
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 19:00   #78

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
This is a real nice machine but lacks the case etc. Consew make high quality machines in the industrial line (made in Japan) but I don't have any experience with one of these(probably china). If you are interested, google up this machine and the leather workers net because several have been put into service over there

Consew CP146R Portable Walking Foot Zigzag Industrial Machine

Sailrite does a nice job packaging all the bells and whistles you need in one bundle. On the other hand, the consew is designed to be carried by the handle on top and you could stick it a locker when you are through. It is also made to go into a commercial table which you can do with the sailrite also. I made a sewing table that I hook up to the folding table mounts in the cockpit ...I drop the LZ-1 in the hole and get to work. Makes it more like a commercial machine. My next little project is to take a piece of fiberglass and mount the foot peddle on it with some silicone non-slip on the back so the foot peddle doesn't scoot all over the place when I sew.
This machine is one of several clones of the Sailrite. If you place photos of them side by side it looks like interchangable parts. I have seen a couple of other clones under other labels as well. It lacks the big wheel and a few toys but I have heard that the Sailrite parts fit. - not sure till I see.
Old 12-12-2012, 20:33   #79

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I am unclear as to who is a clone of whom. AFAIK Sailright has never manufactured a sewing machine; they have bought them from manufacturers, modified them (or had the OEM modify them to order), and private labelled them. There simply isn't the volume here to justify the manufacture of a unique machine from scratch. So the question is: which machine is the OEM base product, and what are the modifications made? Buying a Consew that appears the same may indeed be buying the same machine before modification, and not a "clone". Or not. In the (distant) past Sailrite was quite candid about basing their machines on a Brother head; I think that probably cost some sales to folks who bought Brother instead and did their own mods.

I think that accusing others of making copies of the Sailrite, and particularly using the pejorative term "clone", is misguided. One of these supposed copiers is in fact the real manufacturer of the Sailrite machine.

The question ought to be whether the machine offered is of quality manufacture and does it have the right abilities/features for the job. With Sailrite you can reasonably expect a quality machine that has been fitted out for our purposes, at a price. One could buy any of a number of industrial machines from respected sources, add appropriate options, and come up with something that would also do the job well. Either way works. Your choice.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 20:43   #80

Boat: 1981 Endeavour 37 & 1990 MacGregor 26 Classic

Quote:
.... My next little project is to take a piece of fiberglass and mount the foot peddle on it with some silicone non-slip on the back so the foot peddle doesn't scoot all over the place when I sew.
One thing we weren't real happy with when we got the LSZ-1 was that it didn't seem to have the slow speed control that the older machines in their videos had where you watch them sew stitch by stitch to lock the seam in at the end. They sent us a second foot control, but it seemed the same.

I then made....

...this box to hold the foot pedal and it also slows down the motion on the foot pedal to the point that you have very slow speed control if you need it. It also doesn't slide around with your foot on top so you have a better feel. There is a page here....

Ruth Canvas Mods page 14

...on the mod.

I'm not saying everyone will appreciate this, but we did, now it will just sew forward or reverse as slow as you want to go, which can be helpful.

After posting the mod a person who saw it sent me the following...

Quote:
Hi Sumner,

I was about to make you mod for my clone of the Sailrite lsz-1 . Having electronics experience I instead opened up the electronic pedal and backed off the potentiometer 1/2 turn with a tiny screwdriver and now we have low speed on our clone. I can't be responsible if it goes bad for anyone who tries this, but it just worked for us this night.

Sincerely

Bill
I might try that out also at some point, but haven't yet. Also seeing that maybe some come with the potentiometer tuned better than what we have.

As far as their special on the sale price. I'd be tempted to call and see if they would possibly still honor it,

Sum
Sumner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 08:25   #81
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
This machine is one of several clones of the Sailrite. If you place photos of them side by side it looks like interchangable parts. I have seen a couple of other clones under other labels as well. It lacks the big wheel and a few toys but I have heard that the Sailrite parts fit. - not sure till I see.
the Consew is a clone of the Sailrite?

That's a bit like saying a Jag is a clone of a Miata....

They are both cars, and they will both get you there...

But other than that?

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 08:43   #82

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

And then Ford bought Jaguar and parts were shared and then India's Tata Motors bought Jag. As Jay Leno car guru tells it they are coming out with the new Bodacious model. Now the roads will be filled with Bodacious Tatas........
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 09:17   #83

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Sorry....I use a old cast iron Morse from the year one so I tend to post in Code. That company now sells versions of some of the sailright machines. From what I've heard the quality is good.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2012, 16:51   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I didn't mean to start anything. I just noticed that the photos of at least four makes that I saw appeared identical. I have no idea who is the clone, if anyone. I have also heard that "this is the same as Sailrite exept - - -" Sailrite sayse thiers is the same except modified/improved. So far, it is nearly impossible to even figure what capabilities a machine has. I would like to go to a list of requirements and have the makes and model numbers puked out in a nice list. I can't even go to a massive re-seller and do a hunt based on specs. They only list the model numbers. Look up the model numbers and get a link back to the guy that wants to sell it to you but no specs. Frustrated.
Old 13-12-2012, 17:25   #85

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

You might be overthinking this .

If you are an accomplished canvas worker or sailmaker you will have a pretty good idea of what you want. Otherwise most cast metal machines will be overkill. If you want a machine that you can grow into commercial-quality work with, then just buy the Sailrite, possibly used. Or buy a commercial head and get into the project of modifying for canvas work - but that is probably not worth the effort. Many people have just bought old Singer and Pfaff household machines, pre-plastic and pre-computers, and done just fine with repairs and original canvas work.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2012, 08:35   #86

Boat: Pearson 323

I have one of the original Mini Brute machines. .which is one of the older Taiwan made units . .which I have modified with the Sailrite Monster Wheel to get the lower speed . .higher power . .this machine was around when Sailrite first started getting into the sewing machine business . . others of that era are the Morse Camper and Thompson . . .they are workable machines . .Sailrite has made many quality improvements to the basic castings and I have read that they now own the Taiwan plant and that the new surge of competition comes from China using the original design . .even Sailrite refers to their more improved machines as version II . .so this issue becomes very clouded as to what machines are good and bad. . I have made several complete sails and many repairs and modifications with my machine . .BUT . . I found an older machine and am handy if it had not been set up right . . if I were in the market today . .I would go to ebay and purchase one of the newer complete versions of the LSZ-1 and avoid the trial and error . . but remember . . you are pounding a needle through many layers of 7 oz sailcloth . .it can thump even a Sailrite unit out of adjustment . .
waynecatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 14:57   #87

Sorry am late jumping into this. I work at a canvas shop in Jacksonville FL. We use the consew machines. You can buy a decent used one for $400-$600. Heavy duty, straight sewing. Maybe overkill for what you need, but I can recommend them for ease of use and durability.
captjeanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 16:44   #88

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by captjeanette View Post
Sorry am late jumping into this. I work at a canvas shop in Jacksonville FL. We use the consew machines. You can buy a decent used one for $400-$600. Heavy duty, straight sewing. Maybe overkill for what you need, but I can recommend them for ease of use and durability.
The issue with the consew as well as many machines is that it takes a remote .motor that sits beneath the table, with the belt to the head. Not really a portable machine for the boat.
We have modified ours with a sailrite , ac to dc.motor and mounted it on a table in the cockpit... But the arrangement isn't for your topical cruiser
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 18:38   #89

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
the Consew is a clone of the Sailrite?

That's a bit like saying a Jag is a clone of a Miata....

They are both cars, and they will both get you there...

But other than that?

YOU BEAT ME TO IT!! I did get a chuckle reading that a Consew is copying Sailrite's machines. Everything I have read about Sailrite machines is that they serve a purpose but they are not industrial machine quality. My machine is a Juki, and it is heavy, it does not vibrate at all when sewing. But it was also expensive at $1600 plus another $100 or so for a servo motor.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 19:05   #90

Sailrite, Reliable 'Barracuda', Mini Brute are rebrands of the same. The below is a good description of the similarities:

Portable walking foot sewing machine comparison.
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote