Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2010, 18:27   #1

Newbie with a Question

Hi, althought I've always been very keen on sailing, I'm totally new to sailing with absolutely 0 sailing experience. That's why I'm want to take up the sailing levels 1 and 2 to get introduced to sailing.

Actually I've got some questions which I hope for some clarification...I'm wondering if the sailing training levels 1 and 2 here valid worldwide? i.e, by taking them in say my home country (singapore), I do not need to retake' them or do some sort of conversion when I sail in another country.....similar to a driving licence.
HanFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 19:12   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
If you want to go through an entire series you may be able to test out of the basic levels. ASA and US Sail will allow you to do that. Training is valid no matter where you go. 3 levels of ASA or US Sail will give you credentials for bare boat chartering but experience will be measured along with training. The use requires no license except most states will require a safety certificate that you can pass on line and pay $20 only if you pass the on line test. It's minimal to say the least.

Take any training you can get locally and get out on the water. The rest is experience and owning a boat. Basic training I think it the best way to start. After that you need experience and many ways are available.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 22:42   #3

Boat: No Sailboat Yet
Send a message via Skype™ to NUTSYZDREAM
Great to find a site like this, Im so excited. Sailing has been a big dream of mine for a long time now looking to make it come true. One day to live 24/7/365 if I can. Im looking to start by getting on as a crew person and learn that way, is this the right way to go about it.
NUTSYZDREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2010, 23:03   #4

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NUTSYZDREAM View Post
Great to find a site like this, Im so excited. Sailing has been a big dream of mine for a long time now looking to make it come true. One day to live 24/7/365 if I can. Im looking to start by getting on as a crew person and learn that way, is this the right way to go about it.
Sure, that's the way a lot do it. Certainly the cheapest as well.
Old 25-07-2010, 23:38   #5

Boat: No Sailboat Yet
Send a message via Skype™ to NUTSYZDREAM
Well if you know anyone that would take me on Im ready to rent my house out and go anywhere to learn and live on a sailboat. Im self employed and can go anytime.Im a very strong athletic person and love being on the water. I can do just about anything.
NUTSYZDREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 22:14   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Welcome aboard!
I hope your questions will be answered.
kind regards,
Old 13-08-2010, 02:55   #7

Boat: New boat coming...very soon! :)
Hi Han,

Good to have someone on board from Singapore Lah!

My wife and I just moved back to Australia after living in Singapore for some years. We looked extensively at sail training while in Singapore so I hope the following info helps:

The only internationally recognised sail training available in the area is RYA (Royal Yachting Association). Some clubs offer other courses but they are not recognised anywhere outside Singapore, and having done one I can say it was not vey good in content or delivery (I won't say which one on an open thread but if you PM me I'll give you the details). If you are a Singapore National you'll have access to the armed forces club - sorry don't have any insight on that option but from what I heard they are not too bad, but once again, courses are not recognised.

The new marina at Keppel Bay have just started offering RYA courses but they charge big $$$. Plus they were run at times that made it difficult to fit in with work - 6PM start on a weekday, which in S'pore is still business hours. Nice shiny new Jenneaus though.

After our bad initial experience and a lot of research, we identified two options - either the RYA Sunsail school at Phuket, or Chardonnay Coast RYA school in Bunbury, Western Australia. We chose the latter because of some good airfares and better wind at the time of year. Had a fantastic time, great boats, fantastic sailing weather and really nice people (we still keep contact with our trainer and one of our fellow students). Only downside is you have to take a week off work. See Learn to Sail with Chardonnay Coast Sailing - South West Yacht Charters, Busselton and Bunbury Western Australia

The good thing about sailing in Singapore is you learn to be quite brave among all those super tankers, especially in a J24. The bad thing is the wind doesn't get much over 6 knots for most of the year unless you head riiiight out past Jurong island.....and watch out for those "friendly" Indonesian water police...

Hope this helps lah.
Beenjammin is offline   Reply With Quote