Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2013, 16:03   #1

Newbie in Scotland

Hello all

I'm very new to this site and am greatly looking forward to hearing tales of daring do from across the globe . My hope is that very soon I will have tales of my own . I own a 25 foot sailing yacht at a place called Dochgarroch at the easterly start of Loch Ness , I have had a berth their for about 5 years.
I love nothing more than sailing the length of the Loch and spending quiet nights anchored in small inlets and coves .
And yes I'm afraid I do have one or ten stories of my famous elusive neighbour but will save for another time.
My hope is to size up on my vessel and just get up and go, to see where the wind and tides will take me . Clearly that may have its down side as my proximity to the North Pole may be an issue if I just drift, so I'm really looking to hear how others have managed to do something similar.
Anyway I wish you all fair tides and hope to speak or chat soon.

Kevin
Chappiegally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 16:11   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Newbie in Scotland

Welcome to the forum.

I spent a couple weeks in Oban and the Inner Hebrides last month, and was blown away by the sailing over there, not to mention the lack of night.

Amazed at the Scot sailing ethos: 0600h on a drizzly morning and everyone's sails are already up!

I suspect you'll find the rest of the planet a bit warmer.
Old 24-07-2013, 16:14   #3

Boat: Ohlson 35

Hi Kev.

Very uncanny you just posted this as I returned from a Scottish friends house this evening and she was telling me about her sailing youth up and down the Caledonian.

If you make it down South during the 'get up and go' and I haven't myself, get in touch.
Gavala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2013, 16:19   #4

Hello Bash and thank you for the welcome.

A Scotsman gets his sails up so early to escape the dreaded Midge . The Bain of life over hear for sure.
Interesting fact fact about the midge , it's only the female that bites . There's a good joke in there somewhere but best move on. Oban is amazing and the new Beth's at Barcaldine are superb .
I hope to get down there very soon.

Thank again,

Kevin
Old 25-07-2013, 00:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavala View Post
Hi Kev.

Very uncanny you just posted this as I returned from a Scottish friends house this evening and she was telling me about her sailing youth up and down the Caledonian.

If you make it down South during the 'get up and go' and I haven't myself, get in touch.

Hello,

Yes that is a bit uncanny for sure, the Caley canal with its lochs and lochans is a great place to grow up, I've been here for about five years but I also spent my child hood here messing about on the canal. The sailing can be very challenging,

How far south are you m8 and does your friend still live up here?

I will of course get in touch if I can let loose the old anchor.

Regards. Kevin
Old 25-07-2013, 05:32   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kevin.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 06:08   #7

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

Welcome! My husband grew up on the East Coast and learned to sail on the Forth. As soon as he could get his first real job, he headed to Glasgow just because the West Coast sailing is so spectacular.

We hope to move back to Scotland after our cruise and are looking for options. Have to day, while Glasgow offers lots of great sailing/berth opportunities its not my favorite city.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 06:48   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Newbie in Scotland

Hi Kevin... Welcome to CF
Good luck with the 'Dream'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 06:50   #9

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi,

We sailed (errrr under power, mostly) Loch Ness back in 2003 in our 26' boat! Fine country and very fine people there! Thank you for hospitality!

Welcome onboard!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 07:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimsy View Post
Welcome! My husband grew up on the East Coast and learned to sail on the Forth. As soon as he could get his first real job, he headed to Glasgow just because the West Coast sailing is so spectacular.

We hope to move back to Scotland after our cruise and are looking for options. Have to day, while Glasgow offers lots of great sailing/berth opportunities its not my favorite city.
Hello Mimsy
Thank you for the welcome, I know what you mean about Glasgow, not wishing to upset any Glasweigens but it is a paradox that the best sailing is situated on the west, mind you some lovely towns and villages north and south of Glasgow, I particularly love Largs, Fairly to be precise. Edinburgh is only 40 mins or so as well with a great motorway so living in Edinburgh and sailing out of Glasgow is do able, I have 2 daughters in Edinburgh who work in Glasgow quite often so no real hardship.
Anyway as you know many options for you.
I hope you cruise is going well and it will be grate to welcome you home come the dreaded day.
Regards. Kevin
Old 25-07-2013, 07:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Kevin.
Many thanks Gord
Old 25-07-2013, 07:09   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Hi Kevin... Welcome to CF
Good luck with the 'Dream'..
Many thanks boatman, and as much as I hate to admit it, luck will be needed for sure!
Old 25-07-2013, 07:16   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappiegally View Post
Hello Bash and thank you for the welcome.

A Scotsman gets his sails up so early to escape the dreaded Midge . The Bain of life over hear for sure.
Interesting fact fact about the midge , it's only the female that bites . There's a good joke in there somewhere but best move on. Oban is amazing and the new Beth's at Barcaldine are superb .
I hope to get down there very soon.
Yes, we were introduced to the Highland midge. If I understand the natural history, it's only the pregnant female that bites. We don't allow such things in California.

Went for a lovely hike out of Barcaldine, and seemed to have the forest all to ourselves.

Again, welcome.
Old 25-07-2013, 07:29   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Hi,

We sailed (errrr under power, mostly) Loch Ness back in 2003 in our 26' boat! Fine country and very fine people there! Thank you for hospitality!

Welcome onboard!

b.

Yes indeed, motoring is something ive had to do very many times. It always seems to howl a Gail in the opposite direction you want to go in, I've had all my dramas on the loch, the North Sea is a blessing compared to sailing the Caley system. Wouldn't change a thing though.
I hope it's not to long till you return.
Thank you for the welcome.
Old 25-07-2013, 07:33   #15

Boat: Gib sea 43

Hey,
Don't you be dissing us weegies ... GRRRR, we have reputation to live up to! I did the dream thing, up and went, though back in Scotland just now, due to a pregnant wife and a lost rudder. It was great fun and I am looking forward to getting back on the boat after the baby is born.

Steven.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote