Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2013, 07:37   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post

Yes, we were introduced to the Highland midge. If I understand the natural history, it's only the pregnant female that bites. We don't allow such things in California.

Went for a lovely hike out of Barcaldine, and seemed to have the forest all to ourselves.

Again, welcome.
We stayed at a stately bed and breakfast at Barcaldine and would you believe we were served breakfast by Lord Barcaldine, the local clan chieftain. He was a lovely fellow!! I must admit I did not know it was just pregnant females that bit, given the shear volume of biting midgies I can add loose morals to their many crimes!
You must give me your Californian secret to banning the beggars. I've tried everything from violence and brute force to crying and sobbing like a baby, all to no avail.
Chappiegally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 10:23   #17

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor
Re: Newbie in Scotland

There in lies the Paradox. Most of my favorite people are Glaswegians but that is when they are elsewhere. It as if once you get them within 10 miles of the Clyde they get pissed off at everything (and I am used to the dour, cranky Scots, I married one but the Glaswegians take it to a whole other level.

We have been looking at Largs pretty closely. The other front runner is Peterhead- just for contrast. Work is available in either Glasgow or Aberdeen but alas, not in Edinburgh which is just about my favorite city on the planet. Oh well.

we are leaving in the Fall of 2014 so we have time to figure it all out.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 11:40   #18

Boat: Westerly Conway 36

Midges are easy to evade, just stay on the boat . Wow! Barcaldine, that brings back memories. I kept a boat at Creran Moorings for 4 years, but that was errr last century. Now I do feel old lol.
maersi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 14:23   #19

Boat: Ohlson 35

Hi Kev.

My friend now lives here on the Isle of Wight. Her father was a shark fisherman back on the 50's and the family spent summers aboard the family yacht from what she says. I think she grew up at the Oban end of the cali, I'll ask.

I'm going to see here agin tomorrow and was going to ask if she had any photos of her fathers fishing years. If I can get any I'll post them up.
Gavala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 14:38   #20

Welcome Kevin, I've sailed in Ireland, the Caribbean and points in between and my earnest advice to you is to get the hell away from where you're at and never sail anywhere North of the Azores again. Include the Bahamas and the BVI in your plan. All the best.
Nial
nial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 22:12   #21

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!