Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 01:48   #1
I14

Boat: Coral Seas 36 displacement launch
New Member from Auckland - NZ

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of selling a displacement launch and purchasing an offshore capable yacht in a similar price range with the aim of a world cruise eventually. The boat I have in mind is a Farr 38 as they appear to tick most of the boxes for safety, size, responsiveness, ease of handling and affordability. So I will be leaning on the experience of many of your members in my preparations over the next few years.

I have a background in dinghies (last one an International 14 for the 2005 Worlds) and have owned a 34' keelboat for many years prior to the launch. One previous offshore race, Auckland to Noumea.

I look forward to getting to know some of you in the future.

Phil
I14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:06   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: New member from Auckland, NZ

Hey Phil.....welcome to the forum.
How's the boat market in NZ these days.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:32   #3
I14

Hi James,

It's a buyer's market still, prices fairly steady and difficult to sell boats. Economy not as good as Oz so a few keen sellers. Boats like in Oz are dearer than they are in the US due to a largely boutique building business and relatively high wages but build quality is good. Older glass boats which is where I'm looking have come down in price to almost realistic levels.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:55   #4

Boat: St. Francis 43 Brisa

Oh thank god Welcome aboard.... ...glad I'm not the only kiwi !!!!!!!!
sailingaway221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:52   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Phil.

Why not get to know some of us right now?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 13:41   #6

Re: New Member from Auckland, NZ

Ther are more Kiwis on SF than you realise.... some of us are in disguise!
Old 07-05-2011, 14:04   #7
I14

Thanks guys, will need your advice to find all the local bargains! We tend to get screwed in this part of the world!

Phil
Old 08-05-2011, 17:08   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee 44 44'

Check out Alvah Simon's boat, the Roger Henry! His blog can be found at cruisingworld.com
I hear he just got back to NZ and his boat will just be moored, you can ask him for advice or maybe he wants to sell his boat!
Poggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 17:23   #9

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Hi Phil,

Good luck finding the perfect boat.

You are lucky to live in such a great sailing location! We are currently in Gulf Harbour near Auckland and have sailed some of the northland (we are Americans and have sailed from Europe to here over the past 5 years) and love it! Besides great anchorages and islands the people are wonderful. We plan to return next year and do some sailing on the south island.

Enjoy!
jim_thomsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 18:26   #10

Boat: Traditional 30

Want a chup bro? (sorry mate- I couldnt help myself )

Gday phil, I have always liked Bruce Farr designs. The Farr 38 is a racer/cruiser, a great boat for racing and the occasional weekend.

Something to consider though. Much of a world cruise is spent at anchor or tied up. These are the times comfort becomes much more important than performance. Good luck with your plans all the same.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 19:05   #11

hello i am new to this site and i didnt really know how to post my own thread. i am a college student in louisiana with a major of hospitality management and tourism. i know that i want to go into work that deals with boats. preferably at a yacht club or boat marina etc. i am really just looking for information on what jobs i could do with a college degree as long i am working around boats. i dont have much knowledge on maintnance and i dont even have a boat of my own, but it has been a love for my whole life. if any of yall have any information on what jobs i could go into i would greatly appreciate it..
thanks
ipinkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 03:23   #12
I14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggle View Post
Check out Alvah Simon's boat, the Roger Henry! His blog can be found at cruisingworld.com
I hear he just got back to NZ and his boat will just be moored, you can ask him for advice or maybe he wants to sell his boat!
Had a quick look at the blog. Looks pretty interesting thanks.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:25   #13
I14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_thomsen View Post
Hi Phil,

Good luck finding the perfect boat.

You are lucky to live in such a great sailing location! We are currently in Gulf Harbour near Auckland and have sailed some of the northland (we are Americans and have sailed from Europe to here over the past 5 years) and love it! Besides great anchorages and islands the people are wonderful. We plan to return next year and do some sailing on the south island.

Enjoy!
Thanks Jim, glad you're enjoying the local scene, certainly plenty of interest in boating generally around Auckland. Be good to see you back again.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:32   #14
I14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Want a chup bro? (sorry mate- I couldnt help myself )

Gday phil, I have always liked Bruce Farr designs. The Farr 38 is a racer/cruiser, a great boat for racing and the occasional weekend.

Something to consider though. Much of a world cruise is spent at anchor or tied up. These are the times comfort becomes much more important than performance. Good luck with your plans all the same.
Now heng on Bluey, fair suck of the sav.....(nor me!!). Yes will need to think long and hard about boat choice. To me though a boat always has to sail well, gives me confidence and in my price range there's not a lot of good glass boats that I know the pedigree of and can pick up locally but first of all I need to quit my launch before I start dreaming too hard! I guess internal space is pretty important for a liveaboard.
Old 09-05-2011, 03:35   #15
I14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipinkham View Post
hello i am new to this site and i didnt really know how to post my own thread. i am a college student in louisiana with a major of hospitality management and tourism. i know that i want to go into work that deals with boats. preferably at a yacht club or boat marina etc. i am really just looking for information on what jobs i could do with a college degree as long i am working around boats. i dont have much knowledge on maintnance and i dont even have a boat of my own, but it has been a love for my whole life. if any of yall have any information on what jobs i could go into i would greatly appreciate it..
thanks
My youngest daughter and her husband-to-be spent 3 years crewing for charter boats in the med and loved it. They did 2 Atlantic crossings. There's an extra qualification you can pick up to become a crew member and you get paid for it and the tips can be pretty substantial. There's a clearing port in the south of France where you go to get allocated a vessel.

Tags
Auckland