Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2023, 08:42   #31

Boat: Bavaria 38E
Re: new guy, looking for advise

Not that I have anything against ketches; very nice yachts. But I wonder why fix on that type of craft ahead of time? Nevertheless, near that price range you mention perhaps consider Pearson 365 ketch. Not quite full keel but cutaway. Not quite 10 ton, but 81/2. Nice yachts, solidly built, proven cruisers; capable of offshore passage making, etc. Maybe keep in mind the song lyrics, “You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometime you get what you need!” Good luck! And welcome to the forum.
Auklet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 09:04   #32

Boat: '14 Greenline 33 Hybrid m/v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegde_Sailor View Post
Hey Survivor25!

There is an amazing boat for sale in Georgia right now, a Spencer 1330, looks to be a beautiful boat.

I have a Spencer 42, they are incredibly well built.
The Spencer 44 unfortunately is a sloop, and fin-keeled with 7' draft which would make the Bahamas, which we've cruised many times, basically a no-go.

We loved NW FL cruising and retired to Panama City on boat-friendly St. Andrew Bay 25 years ago, but stranded on wide-open Monterey Bay and it's windblown, cold waters for past 16 years. Head due W and your first landfall is Tokyo Bay entrance - literally!
Pete
PineyWoodsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 09:25   #33

The 365 has a draft of 4.5 ft. Good for cruising Florida and the Bahamas. Hull speed is at least 7 kt.
Old 26-06-2023, 11:08   #34

If you will do some research you will find that the average size of boats doing a circumnavigation is about 34 feet.
If you buy anything larger you won’t be able to handle it in rough conditions.
I’ve sailed thousands of miles in the open ocean in the Atlantic, Pacific and Caribbean on larger sailboats and smaller sailboats. There is a book you can get that list small sailboats that are capable of doing ocean voyages. I recommend you find it and purchase a boat from that list. I’ve seen several listed recently for very little money.
Good luck in your search.
sailorman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 12:09   #35

Boat: Many

Before you do anything else. Take lessons on a dinghy then a small keel boat. Then a cruising boat. You have to know what you are doing.

Also, you better be good mechanically and technically. You have to be self-reliant.
Night_Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 12:47   #36

Yes I agree with that. Buy an older boat and do all the refurbishing yourself. Learn everything you can about every system on your boat.
sailorman14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 07:03   #37

Interesting. Newbie asks for suggestions for a ketch 32-38 ft to live-aboard and cruise around Florida west coast, Bahamas, and maybe beyond, and gets: take lessons, read a book (not cited—when published?) with a list of world cruisers (any ketches?), look at a sloop twice his budget with a 7-ft draft, research the world of solo cruisers, talk to friends in Destin, and so forth. Geeze. Can’t anybody in this forum besides me (#31, #33) suggest a cruising ketch brtween 32 and 38 ft that sells for near $30,000 - $35,000? True. His wished-for specifications border on “pie-in-sky” and may not exist in combination, but if I were him I’d be doubting the helpfulness of this forum here. If nothing else, go to sailboatdata.com and search on “ketch” to see what models have been produced. Really, go read a book?
Old 27-06-2023, 07:55   #38

Boat: Catalina 320

Spent yesterday doing the annual oil/filters change and reminded me that every day spent working on a boat is a day spent NOT SAILING. You should decide which you want to do. I've seen a lot of people who want to sail buy a boat that "needs a little work" and give it up after a few years.
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 07:58   #39

Did that. Look at Seafarer 38 ketch (true cut-away keel), Mariner 36 ketch, Pearson 365 ketch, O’Day 32 ketch, Clipper Marine 32 ketch. Also, Fiji 32 ketch referenced above (#23, sorry re: my comment).

A friend has restored his Clipper Marine 32 ketch and I’ve sailed on it. Good seakindly yacht; Bill Crealock design!!!
Old 27-06-2023, 08:58   #40

Could be difficult to single-hand, but the Morgan 41 Out-Island ketch is one of the most popular live-aboard vessels in Florida. Not too pretty; and it’s slow. But comfortable. Might be beyond your budget, esp. if fixing up is needed. But if getting into that size range, the Pearson 424 ketch would be THE choice. Very nice design. Lovely yacht. Fast sailor. Comfortable. Might be reachable in price. One listed in Marathon, FL for $40,000–Yachtworld.com.

There is also the Pearson Vanguard 33 ketch as a consideration; but old design; 1960’s
Old 27-06-2023, 11:13   #41

Relative to the Spencer in GA, I saw this in the Description details: "Bought by the current owners in 2017 as salvage, this Spencer 1330 had extensive work done."
So, my concern would be getting this boat registered after being designated as "salvage" and you probably would have a hard time with insuring her, both because of age and her salvage history. You could always "self insure" and take the risk of loss. Is there a way to resurrect a salvage boat, maybe a full marine survey accompanied with detailed repairs??
AnythingO's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 11:22   #42

Forgot to post this before, how about an Island Trader 41' ketch?
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/197...ketch-8086545/
AnythingO's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 16:39   #43

Boat: Irwin MK III 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor25 View Post
Hello all. Just introducing myself, I'm MARK, I have had the acct on here for a good while, but have just viewed from afar...I am now getting a lifelong dream coming full circle to "live aboard" fulltime year around on a sailboat. And not sitting in a marina somewhere, LOL, I intend to have sails up, and underway at least 60% of the year....going "somewhere". I have sailed for short times (6-10 days) and been on every kind of boat made, served in the US NAVY and find no more fullfiling place on earth than the ocean. So with that being said I am going to be buying a 38-40 ft "ketch", full keel, keel stepped, 1979 or earlier boat. (I am firm on a hand laid "heavy" older boat) I am one of those ppl that believe in bringing a TANK to a knife fight ha ha. at any rate I would like to just "chat" with some folks that have been OUT already for some experienced advise and maybe some pointers. I am liquidating Everything, and committing to adventure. "tired of the mundane work, sleep, work life!!" anyone willing to talk a little with me would be greatly appreciated...MARK. also I have done my homework, and studied this for like 2-half years now, had a 25.5 Hunter to just play on for a while, so, not just walking off the end of the plank here just have never "skippered" a SAILBOAT full time and single handed as I will be by myself.
I own many boats over 40 years.The one I own now, I shop for 2 years before I found her. I knew exactly what I wanted and for what reason. I have a 43 Irwin. she has done 2 Atlantic passages, return. I sail her solo 95 % of the time. and she is 100% self contained. I might be selling her in a year or two. But if you want an honest talk, not a BS story, feel free to Contact Me. Make sure you include Irwin 43 in the subject. Good luck. mrjfortin@yahoo.com
Riggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2023, 16:47   #44
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seafox 236cc, Carver 44-50', Silverton 453 (looking)

Good luck...go for it!!! Love the stories of all the different customers I help with their boat insurance. Everyone is at different stages of their lives and all drawn to water for their own unique reasons. I get to live vicariously theu them till its our turn. If you have insurance questions let me know, glad to help. Cheers!!
BuoyCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2023, 03:23   #45

Boat: 1966 Spencer 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyWoodsPete View Post
The Spencer 44 unfortunately is a sloop, and fin-keeled with 7' draft which would make the Bahamas, which we've cruised many times, basically a no-go.

We loved NW FL cruising and retired to Panama City on boat-friendly St. Andrew Bay 25 years ago, but stranded on wide-open Monterey Bay and it's windblown, cold waters for past 16 years. Head due W and your first landfall is Tokyo Bay entrance - literally!
Pete

I am not familiar with sailing in that neck of the woods so I wouldn't know, I have just known of the boat from our owners group for a long time and know he has sailed it pretty extensively in the area out of Georgia.

It is a good solid open ocean boat but if the sea is shallower than the bottom of her keel, doesn't really matter what it is does it?