Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2017, 11:50   #1

Boat: Sabre 34II
new guy here

Hey guys,

I have been lurking here for a couple of weeks now and gained a lot of knowledge in this short time. Today, I took the plunge and signed up to be a part of this great community.

I am 39, married with 2 kids and we all enjoy sailing. We have been daysailing in Long Island sound x 3 years, mostly on rentals; dreams are getting bigger however, and I would like your advise. I don't like to be restricted by the time and place constraints of the rental places. We would also like to sail to Cape Cod and possibly Maine as well as Chesapeake someday, hopefully within the next 3-5 years. We can afford a boat but I am a newbie when it comes to maintenance and upkeep and hesitate to even think about it. Do we just keep daysailing for now? Is there an option of renting a boat for a few cruising days at a time? If buying is our only option, help me get rid of the anxiety associated with it

I also want to wish safety to members who are in Irma's path.

Thank you.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 12:12   #2

Boat: Hanse, 400e - 40ft
Re: new guy here

Hi moored and welcome to the forum!

We opted to buy a nice, used Catalina 30 when we started out. Our assumption was simply that it had in basically bottomed out on price and we would be able to sell it for more or less what we paid when we were ready to move up or if we decided that we really didn't like sailing after all.

Interestingly enough, we sailed the same waters as you're describing!
We sailed her for 3yrs taking longer and longer trips until we finally took our year long trip down to the Florida Keys. On our way down, we decided that this was indeed the life for us; we purchased a new boat and sold our trusty Catalina 30 for just about what we paid for her and that's because we sold her to a friend... we could definitely have gotten more since we had put quite a bit of work into her (new canvas, electronics, etc.)

So, for us, it was a no-brainer! The money we put into her over the 3yr period was very reasonable and that's with me doing very little of the work myself, since I was still learning the ropes

Honestly, at this end of the spectrum, I don't think you can go wrong buying... assuming of course you buy a solid boat that simply needs basic work; refinishing woodwork, new canvas, new electronics, new running rigging, perhaps a bit of engine work, etc.

Would be happy to discuss further if you have specific questions...
Old 10-09-2017, 12:33   #3

Thanks SVRocinante.

Like you, I think we are future cruisers too as we all enjoy sailing; my 10 yr old is turning out to be a pretty good helmsman.

I sail sunfish and Sonar 23, and I think 23-24 is the maximum length I can handle at this time. How did you decide on the length for your 1st boat? Were you renting a bigger boat prior to your purchase?

Thanks again.
Old 11-09-2017, 05:29   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, moored.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moored View Post
...How did you decide on the length for your 1st boat? Were you renting a bigger boat prior to your purchase?
Well, the length was decided somewhat randomly since we really didn't know much when we started. So, in answer to your 2nd question first; no, we had never rented a larger boat prior to buying, heck, we had never sailed a larger boat prior to buying!

I started by simply looking at the available boats (all makes, models, lengths) in the northeast and noting prices & quantity. Remember, I knew that whatever we purchased, it would not be our "final" boat, so one of my key objectives was to purchase something I could resell in a few years for close to what I payed.

Now, I'm not saying that's the right approach, but it was right for us.

Obviously, I did have a few criteria beyond that to help narrow the search down.
Those criteria actually came about as we looked at some of the smaller boats and found we didn't like them.

I wanted something that was a capable coastal cruiser, had standing room below, not a pop-up, had a head and a galley, as well as ample room for books, etc. for our eventual longer cruises.

I found that, in our area, tons of Catalina 27s were available at very reasonable prices, so started looking at those. We came close to buying one, when we decided to look at a 30, "just for the heck of it". Wow, what a difference 3ft made!

We switched gears and started looking at 30s and finally found a really nice Catalina 30TRBS in CT and that was it... one of the best decisions we every made!

Hope this helps with your process...
Old 11-09-2017, 06:07   #6

Quote:
...I sail sunfish and Sonar 23, and I think 23-24 is the maximum length I can handle at this time.
BTW, I think you'll find that if you are a prudent sailor, the larger boat is easier to handle. They are no where near as tender as the smaller boats, have a much more comfortable ride, offer better control of the sails due to their beefier systems, etc.

Again, just one man's opinion and something to think about as you make your decision...
Old 11-09-2017, 07:03   #7

Boat: Harbor 20, Seawind 1370 (2024)

Quote:
Do we just keep daysailing for now? Is there an option of renting a boat for a few cruising days at a time?
There should be lots of options to charter a boat for 2-3 days at a time. I don't know your area, but every large city on the west coast has one or more charter outfits. That's what I did, started w/ day sails, then 2-3 days trips, worked my way up to bigger boats, then a week long in the BVIs....

As others have said, the larger boats are actually more stable. Two things to remember, with large boats you have to anticipate more since you can't just muscle your way through errors like you can on a 23'er. A 30'er is still small enough that you shouldn't get into trouble if you have your basic sailing down. The second thing is the difference between sailing and cruising. As you start to "cruise", you learn other new skills, like anchoring, managing a marine toilet (an adventure with a family), electrical systems, cooking on board for a couple days, etc. All good fun. Enjoy the adventure.

The Catalina 30 is also a good choice - a million out there, many many friends started out with that boat. Some are now living aboard, one is about to leave on a circumnavigation.
Mark424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 08:33   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, moored.
Thanks GordMay, I am happy to be here.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:38   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVRocinante View Post
BTW, I think you'll find that if you are a prudent sailor, the larger boat is easier to handle. They are no where near as tender as the smaller boats, have a much more comfortable ride, offer better control of the sails due to their beefier systems, etc.

Again, just one man's opinion and something to think about as you make your decision...
I understand how you decided on the length. Since I have never thought about buying, a particular "length" hasn't crossed my mind, that may change if and when I decide to buy and what's available in my area.

I have sailed a Beneteau 36 a couple of times, I agree with it being more stable however, its not as easily maneuverable as a small boat, hence my fear.
Old 12-09-2017, 08:42   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark424 View Post
There should be lots of options to charter a boat for 2-3 days at a time. I don't know your area, but every large city on the west coast has one or more charter outfits. That's what I did, started w/ day sails, then 2-3 days trips, worked my way up to bigger boats, then a week long in the BVIs....

As others have said, the larger boats are actually more stable. Two things to remember, with large boats you have to anticipate more since you can't just muscle your way through errors like you can on a 23'er. A 30'er is still small enough that you shouldn't get into trouble if you have your basic sailing down. The second thing is the difference between sailing and cruising. As you start to "cruise", you learn other new skills, like anchoring, managing a marine toilet (an adventure with a family), electrical systems, cooking on board for a couple days, etc. All good fun. Enjoy the adventure.

The Catalina 30 is also a good choice - a million out there, many many friends started out with that boat. Some are now living aboard, one is about to leave on a circumnavigation.
Mark, I am definitely looking forward to going long distances. I can dock, anchor but if I see a broken hose I won't know what to do .

Well, if we decide to buy a boat I will make a new thread to get specific info. For now, will continue to daysail rentals even though they don't allow me to go beyond a specific area and time.

Thanks everybody.