Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 11:34   #1

Boat: C&C 34
Long Time Sailor, wannabee cruiser

Hello! I am Allen Goldstein. I have been an avid sailor and racer for 30 years now. I have been a past cruising fleet capitan of Corinthian Yacht Club Seattle. For the last 10 years I have owned a 34 foot C&C which I do not intend to cruise long distance.

My youngest child is soon to leave the house and for years now, my wife and I have been dreaming of living aboard and cruising. We desperately want to buy a boat and liveaboard for a year or so while working and building our cruising kitty. I am between jobs and there is lots of opportunity for me out there as well as the fact that I can and have consulted (I am an electrical engineer who has desiged many products in the consumer and pro audio/video field).

Now here is the rub. Whenever I find good job opportunities in a US port city, I look into the liveaboard situation there and it looks like the waiting list is years long. As we will be buying a boat, there is a slim chance that we could get grandfathered into a liveaboard slip but from my shopping around here in Seattle, that situation is rare. When it comes to buying a boat, I really want to get one for its own sake an not be unduly influenced by the fact that it may or may not come with a liveaboard slip.

Hence I come to this forum seeking advice. I'm looking forward to meeting some of you and hearing your stories or what you can tell me from your experiences. We desire a boat that is from 45 to 55 feet in length, which makes the moorage situation all the more difficult. This is the one thing that could kill our dream!

Cordially,
Allen Goldstein
S/V Alveolus
Seattle, WA, USA
ARGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 19:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Welcome aboard CF Allen. Sounds like you have great plans. There are a few threads on Liveaboads in the archive. The search function on the menu might help with that.

However, no problem discussing it all over again either. This crowd loves to talk!

Enjoy the forum!
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 20:24   #3

Boat: Beneteau 473
Don't let the size of the boat be a deal killer. There are some awesome boats to be had under 45 feet. A friend recently picked up an Endeavor 42 that a couple had cruised for 5 years. The boat is comfortable, immaculate and wants for nothing really. The owners just finished their adventure, packed their clothes and went ashore. The price was superb for what came with the boat.
By chance do you know any of the sailors that work at Kvichak?
I work with those guys often and I know several are sailboat racers. The waterfront in Seattle seems like a real small place. Everybody knows everybody.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:56   #4

Thank you Ex and Silent:

The reason I am looking at bigger boats: My cruising plans include some continuing work as an electrical engineering consultant. I will need to have 3 staterooms onboard: A master, one for guest or crew (we do plan to take on crew for passagemaking per my wife's requirement plus we hope to have grandkids and other guests jon us from time to time), and I need a third stateroom for an engineering lab/office space.

I might make do with two staterooms if I can convert the lab to a berth, but storage quickly becomes a problem for me then.

I'l reiterate about the size concern, how big does a boat need to be before finding dockside moorage becomes a real issue? Especially when considering liveabord size.

Silent: I do not know of Kvichak,. Seattle is not all that small - there is actually a fairly large racing community here. In the summer, there are 4 weekly series races that each draw over 60 boats to the starting lines. When you consider Lake Washington, Shilshole and Elliott Bay, that makes for alot of water to race in!

Everyone: I will look at the fourms and search livaboard, but I have the unique option of seeking employment, moving almost anywhere, and buying a boat after I arrive - the question is WHERE should I look? I'd like to hear from you folks on that topic.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:35   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Allen,
Welcome aboard! You offer a hard question so don't expect a really quick answer. I really can't help you with specifics but can only pass on to you what I know about Honolulu Hawaii. There, it is easier and quicker to find a liveaboard slip for a larger boat because there aren't that many larger boats.
You might try calling 808-587-1966 for more numbers to get a feel for the availability here. Ko Olina is probably your best bet for marina services and is the largest and newest of the private marinas. I don't have their phone number. It isn't in the phone directory.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 13:26   #6

Allen, I lived aboard in Seattle for several years while working. Shilshole Bay Marina allows slip holder to leave and sub lease for up to (I believe) 5 months. Many pwople do just that, moving their boats North fo r the summer or a good part of the year. I had no trouble getting a sub lease for a 44 footer for about 3 years of living about. Often moving just a couple of slips down the dock. Anacortes is another option, although 1.5 hours from Seattle....
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 13:43   #7

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argold
Everyone: I will look at the fourms and search livaboard, but I have the unique option of seeking employment, moving almost anywhere, and buying a boat after I arrive - the question is WHERE should I look? I'd like to hear from you folks on that topic.
It has been said that San Diego is one of the best places in the world to buy a boat..with ones ability to fly right in and be at the docks withing 10 minutes with dozens and dozens if not hundreds of boats for sail on any given day.

I would think with your skill set, work could be found as well..I have know Idea of live aboard statous there...the weather is almost idyllic as well...

As I peer out my window, my own writing makes me wonder...Why am I living in Washington anyway?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 13:48   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
It has been said that San Diego is one of the best places in the world to buy a boat..
I have looked at San Diego and the job situation there is great BUT:

Have a look at google earth and look at ALL the boats on moorings there. The marinas are packed! I do not want to be on a mooring or anchored out but want to be dockside.

So, if you can tell me of a specific marina that has a 50' liveaboard slip with no wait, I may just jump right on down there now... there are LOTS of jobs to be had there.

Cordially,
Allen
Old 03-12-2008, 14:29   #9

San Diego... hmmm.... feels a little developer/sterile to me. I'm a westerner too, but kind of like Annapolis...Florida or in between myself. ... but then again I kind of like "funky" as opposed to "city regulated clean" with people eating lobster looking in your cockpit from the restaurant.... Not that the east doesn't have that, but seems to have a lot more less highly developed marinas.. San Diego's a nice town though...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wannabe, living aboard