Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2017, 16:20   #1

Boat: Lagoon 42
Lagoon 42 for us!

Hello!

After a decade of talk, our young family of 4 has finally taken the plunge. We pick up our brand spanking new Lagoon 42, SV Sabella (hull 169), in January 18. Needless to say we are just a little bit excited!

She is an owners version and comes with a basic set up - code zero, 57hp engines with folding props, a couple of fridges, big inverter and 600l of water.

What she doesn't have is an energy generation set up or water maker, nor a way to heat the cabin at this point.

We are novice sailors and our kids will be 1.5 and 4 years old when we take delivery. We are aware that this is a somewhat daunting prospect, particularly in the depths of winter in the Bay of Biscay.

My questions then, if you generous folk would be so kind to share your thoughts and constructive criticism, are:

1. Is it a complete mistake to even consider taking delivery on the west coast of France in winter - should we push to have her delivered in the Med. If so has anyone used this option from Lagoon, and what considerations are there in doing so - cost, logistics...

2. We intend to spend the winter in a marina somewhere, ideally getting her fitted out to enable comfortable living aboard with 2 kids. Our big ticket items are water maker, solar, D400 wind geni and hopefully some sort of heating system as we intend to spend several years in the Med including the winter months. It's a broad question, but where is the best place / country / marina to get this work done? We have a technical background in aviation (maintenance and pilot) and intend to do some of the work ourselves, but this will be limited by looking after 2 crazy kids.

3. For those that have been through the commissioning process with Lagoon, what are your big ticket items to watch out for? We are starting to develop a large question bank, but we still don't know what we don't know!

Thanks so much in advance for your advice - we have a thick skin so happy for spears too!

Cheers,

Aaron and Lara
(Australia)
sabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 09:19   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Lagoon 42 for us!

Welcome aboard Aaron and Lara! I have no experience sailing between France and the Med, but given what you said, my gut says to have it delivered to the Med. I am sure there are many folk here who will give you great advice!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 10:36   #3

I'm no expert on the area but have been across
Biscay twice once in August, once in September.
We waited for windows both times and both times
had at least 8 to 10 hours of "Sporty" sailing.
I for one would not want to be out there in the winter.
Add in a New and New to You boat,
Two very young children and i think it's
flat out nuts.
Also When planning the last passage across
Biscay, I asked the good folks here about
doing the inside of Biscay while going southbound.
I was universally informed that the best route was outside and that if i went to LaRochele
I would be better off heading back north then go outside rather than cutting across.
Like I said there are gents here with far more
knowledge of this area then myself
I hope they chime in
Might want to search for my
prior thread, something like
"Inside Biscay"
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 13:12   #4

Boat: Lagoon 42

Thanks for your replies. Delivery to the Med by road is in the order of 20k euro, so that not going to happen 🤣

The evolving plan is a hired skipper and I will take it across the bay, or out of the bay then south, to get to a sheltered spot in Portugal. The more precious members of the crew will meet us down there.

I appreciate your thoughts,
Aaron
sabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 14:26   #5

Hi there. Sorry no experience on questions 1 or 2 but also buying a lagoon 42 in Europe to cruise with wife and 2 kids, and in the middle of spec'ing it out. Being doing a lot of research on all the bits so happy to discuss with you. PM your e-mail might be easiest.
TravellingKiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:14   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Aaron and Lara!

There are several members here on CF that keep their boats in Spain and Portugal.

One CF member that well knows the ports along the Portuguese and Spanish coasts, is a professional delivery skipper and has lived aboard his boat in that area too. His forum name is BOATMAN61.

Best of luck in your new adventures with your new boat. It sounds like a wonderful way for kids to see the world too.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon