Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2010, 09:38   #1

I’m Losing My Anchor

Hello All,

I can clearly read the handwriting on the wall

I’m losing my anchor. No more lucky ball and chain.
In other words; soon to be single

So here’s what I’m thinking I’d like to do:

(Who knows what will be left over when the lawyers get through cleaning me out)

I’d like start with an older “starter” boat in the 10 to 15k range, this way:
I can learn what I really need and want.
If something were to happen to the boat it would be sad; but not the end of the world

I’m highly attracted to the cruising lifestyle and would like to quickly transition to it.

In reading through the forum it’s clear that this is a great group of people. Someone is always ready to lend a hand; or at least an interesting opinion. So thanks in advance for all your help…The Lively Traveler
Lively Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 10:01   #2

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
sorry to hear about your situation. been there done that. but looking back best thing that ever happened. welcome to the forum and your right this place has an amazing group of cruisers that are more than willing to help any way they can.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 10:07   #3

Boat: 85' Shrimper
Ditto the best thing that ever happened. Six month from now it will only be a bad memory....

Crew? Babysit a boat? Go to the boat yard and master the art of sanding? You're on your own!
seafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 10:10   #4

Boat: seawind II Patience
Gee too many have been there.marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 11:04   #5

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya
When the lawyers get through with you all you will have is money for the anchor.

Go to various boat yards and seek out a distressed boat you like and watch ebay for something distressed. This is my third boat and like you I wanted to spend as little as possible. While fixing it up you will learn a much about boats and yourself. My boat was a katrina damaged boat and it took me a year to get her right. Still got a long list of todo's but my plan worked.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 11:21   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Seems like you have a sound plan to me. Get a starter, try it out and if it turns out that you are allergic to salt water you can off it without too much to lose.

I would try to as close to ready to sail as you can find for your budget since this is a try out sailing plan and not a try out rebuilding a boat plan
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 16:45   #7

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

I don’t mind a bit of a project as long as it’s not one of those forever boats. You know; the ones that sit in the boat yard or someone’s driveway year after year. High and dry doesn’t sound attractive to me.

Perhaps all older boats are perpetual projects, but I definitely want to stay on track.

I’ll focus on making sure to find a boat that can safely swim in fairly short order. (Or even better get some water flowing under her keel)
Lively Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 20:47   #8

Boat: seawind II Patience
All boats are prepetual projects.We just get to care for them,marc
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 21:03   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
It will be good for you to get a fresh start and a new focus for your life. Don't look back and keep moving in the direction of your dreams. I have a t-shirt that I love that says, "FEEL THE FREEDOM". Freedom works well for me when I am out cruising, although a yacht can be quite a mistress as well.

maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2010, 22:49   #10

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.
I think, for a try out boat, make it big enough for you to live aboard, at least for long weekends. Go for plastic, and have a decent run under engine, if that doesn't work well it will seriously affect your new hobby. You should get a sea worthy boat for a thousand or two. It won't be pretty or clean or tidy but that's your new hobby. Sailing it, learning to sail? will soon follow - every weekend! All weekend! And you'll soon learn what boats look good, sail well, have happy people, and doesn't cost more than a third of your settlement. You'll know enough by then not to make too big a mistake. Stay away from wooden, they need skilled and persistent work just to stop them deteriorating!
Old 05-07-2010, 16:05   #11

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you posting here. Check out boat recommendations in the links behind my signature. The book recommendation is a good one too.
I don't know your sailing experience but a course or two would be good as well and get you to meeting like minded people.
kind regards,

Tags
anchor