Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2019, 14:57   #1

Hi from Brisbane

Hi new member from Brisbane

Steve and Nina.
SV Fraser J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 16:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hi from Brisbane

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Steve and Nina.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 18:37   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

Welcome! There's a Brisbane, California, just down the road, but you're from the other one
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2019, 19:20   #4

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Welcome! There's a Brisbane, California, just down the road, but you're from the other one
One story was that Brisbane CA was named after Brisbane, Australia. Last I was in Brisbane CA, no authoritative yea or nay had been made about that story.

Brisbane, AU, was named after Thomas Makdougall Brisbane, who was the governor of the British Colony of New South Wales 1821-25.

Fun fact: "Makdougall" was not one of Tommy Brisbane's names given to him by his parents Eleanora and Tommy (senior) after birth. Tommy (junior) took up with a lassie named Anna Maria Hay Makdougall. Anna and Tommy married in 1819. Thereafter, Tommy adopted Makdougall as part of his full legal name and used his full name often.
Old 24-06-2019, 19:30   #5

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Fun fact: "Makdougall" was not one of Tommy Brisbane's names given to him by his parents Eleanora and Tommy (senior) after birth. Tommy (junior) took up with a lassie named Anna Maria Hay Makdougall. Anna and Tommy married in 1819. Thereafter, Tommy adopted Makdougall as part of his full legal name and used his full name often.
Fun fact #2: Tommy Brisbane invaded the US in the so-called War of 1812, the war that burned the presidential residence in Washington; as a consequence the presidential residence was painted white to hide the shame of defeat. Whitewashing, I think it's called.

Tommy led an invasion and attack on Plattsburg, NY. He reckoned he could have creamed the place if he'd been allowed to use his soldiers without the constraint of trying to coordinate with silly blighters in boats (i.e. naval forces).
Old 25-06-2019, 03:09   #6

Boat: Volkscruiser

Hi Steve and Nina, have purchased your yacht or is it the one I am surveying next week in Hervey Bay?
Cheers and welcome aboard this is a great forum.
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2019, 03:11   #7

Hi Fore and Aft Yes, see you next week.
Old 30-06-2019, 23:10   #8

Hi Steve & Nina

I am heading down to Brisbane (from Tokyo) next Monday to search for my first monohull sailboat.

Preferably GRP, 27-33 foot sloop with a sound hull, reliable diesel and recently refitted standing rigging.

So if you (or anyone else) notice any similar boats to that, let me know !

If you dont mind, let me know how it went with the survey. You might be too busy is you just got a new boat.

Thanks
Noel
Ellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2019, 23:48   #9

Boat: Volkscruiser

Ellstrom I am keen to see what Steve and Nina say about the survey to, since I am the one surveying their new yacht.
Ellstrom have you seen this yacht? Our yacht is the blue yacht in the background and I have never seen Serenity move since I did the survey over a year ago for the new owners!
Santana 30 For Sale | Fraser Marine
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 00:07   #10

Keen to see her out of the water and hoping for the best.
Old 02-07-2019, 03:01   #11

Hi Fore & Aft

Thanks for the link!

I checked out the Santana 30 online, and she has some things to like. Engine looks well kept, and the rigging is recent as is the main. Nice beam, and very recent boat. I definitely am going to want to look at her when I come down there next week.

It does concern me that she hasnt moved in a year, meaning she probably isnt being kept up, and you know quickly things can deteriorate.

You mentioned a survey. Did you mean that you surveyed the Santana 30? If so, would you be willing to email me that in advance so I could take a look at to save time? Im not looking for a project boat, but I am capable of fixing/upgrading most systems.
Ellstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 19:50   #12

What a big day it was yesterday.
We had FORE and AFT survey our new old yacht, test sailed and hauled it out for the steel hull to be inspected and ultra sounded.
Everything went well, just a few repairs inside the cabin, a lot of cleaning and some maintenance items.

The soon to be named SV Fraser J, it is entirely coincidental that we bought her from Fraser Marine just inside Fraser Island, will actually be named after Ninas dad Jim Fraser.
A Len Hedges design Ketch built by Glasgow shipyards which is also where Jim was from.

I can't rate Fraser Marine and FOREANDAFT surveyor highly enough, they were both great to deal with and everything went smoother than I ever imagined it would.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030478.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	195222   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030484.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	400.5 KB
ID:	195223  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030462.jpg