Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2019, 15:53   #1

Boat: 1984 Hobie Holder 12'
I'm not sure what to do with my hands

Hi,

After a few weeks of reading messages, I realized this place really doesn't have enough overly enthusiastic people with zero sailing experience, so I decided to join and offer my help there.

I've been on and off with the idea of sailing for about 10 years, but never had the time or money to get serious. I'm in a better spot now and am working to learn everything I can. I'm planning a 7 day live aboard course for my entire family next Summer that will get my wife and I certified in ASA 103, 104, and a few others.

I've read a few books that this site recommends and have been listening to podcasts. Basically, I'm just like all the other people who get really excited, come ask a bunch of dumb questions that have already been answered 100 times, and will probably disappear in a month or two .

I've reached out to my local yacht club and am excited to checkout their weekly races this summer. I have zero sailing experience outside of the 10 or so times I've been on lunch / dinner cruises while on vacation (and I realize those don't count).

The name Salt to Sea references me coming from Salt Lake City to the Sea - super creative, I know. Anyways, looking forward to learning a lot, making some friends, and annoying some of the grumpy old people on this site.
Salt to Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 16:39   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: I'm not sure what to do with my hands

Hi Salt,

A 7 day live aboard ASA course is a good way to get 'big boat' experience. There is a lot to be said about getting some small boat experience as well. You will gain experience and understanding of points of sail and basic boat handling faster, and can get days on the water near home. I don't know about UT, but next door in CO there are always some inexpensive small boats available. Most are old and not always in great condition, but are often available at near "disposable" prices. My wife and I spend 2/3 of our time cruising, but we still keep a Laser at home in CO for some quick fun sailing.

Enjoy the ride,

Doug
SV Meri, YouTube - 'The Meri Crew'
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2019, 17:06   #3

Thanks. I've been looking into the local yacht clubs to see what opportunities they have. From what I've seen on their sites and what I've read here, it looks like I can probably get on some boats on race nights to learn and have some fun. I've thought about getting one of those cheap boats, but need to spend a few days on the water to make sure it's my thing before I spend a couple grand on another hobby.

One of the local clubs is only a couple hundred a year to join and provide access to a fleet of small boats, so I'll probably go that route to learn.
Old 28-06-2019, 17:14   #4
FTS

Boat: Catalina 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salt to Sea View Post
. . . I've reached out to my local yacht club and am excited to checkout their weekly races this summer. . .
In my limited experience racing with the local club is one of the best ways to learn to sail.

I'm working on my third season racing on the lower Chesapeake with a local yacht club, and the worst I can say about any of the skippers I've crewed with is they've let me play with some pretty expensive equipment, and didn't bitch me out too much when things got sloppy.

Don't get me wrong, ASA courses have their place but IMHO there isn't any substitute for time on the water.
FTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 17:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
In my limited experience racing with the local club is one of the best ways to learn to sail.

I'm working on my third season racing on the lower Chesapeake with a local yacht club, and the worst I can say about any of the skippers I've crewed with is they've let me play with some pretty expensive equipment, and didn't bitch me out too much when things got sloppy.

Don't get me wrong, ASA courses have their place but IMHO there isn't any substitute for time on the water.
Just found out the local club races every Tuesday. I can't make it this week, but I'll get out with them next week. I'm looking forward to it and expect to learn a lot just hanging out and playing on the water.

Before reading anything, the idea of sailing was pretty intimidating. After a book and some YouTube videos (my wife thinks I'm crazy for this), I think I could jump on a little boat and do ok. I know there's a million things to learn, but the basics are less intimidating after getting a simple understanding.

I'm sure I'll be eating those words next week after falling off the boat a few times, but I look forward to it.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:23   #6

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Where are you? If in or near San Diego I would happily take you sailing on a smaller boat.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:59   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Where are you? If in or near San Diego I would happily take you sailing on a smaller boat.
Thank you, you guys are awesome. I'm in Salt Lake City, UT - so it's a bit of a drive . I am looking into the Newport Beach Sailing School which is closer to San Diego, and will probably come to this board for reviews as I get closer to making a decision.

First, I plan to spend some time on the local lakes with the local clubs to see how I do and make sure this isn't just a phase. I see lots of posts from people like myself who get super excited and then disappear. I love the water, have loved my limited time sailing in the past, and dream about taking a summer off to explore with my family, but I'm a long ways from that.
Old 02-07-2019, 10:22   #8

Boat: Pearson 367

Hello and welcome, its surprising how much sailing there is in Utah. I grew up in Ogden and have lived in SLC. Sounds like you've already found Park City Sailing. It's a good deal. Sailing on Bear Lake is gorgeous if you ever want to make the drive.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:24   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I misunderstood I thought you’d moved from SLC to someplace on the water, CA being the closest seemed most likely.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:29   #10

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yer gonna have to take it up a notch if yer going to annoy us with dumb questions... let's go, give it yer best shot...
and if you make it out to my part of the Cal. coast I'll take you out for a sail too... I just have A LITTLE sanding and painting for you to do first.. bring your overalls.
welcome aboard!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCoolDave View Post
Hello and welcome, its surprising how much sailing there is in Utah. I grew up in Ogden and have lived in SLC. Sounds like you've already found Park City Sailing. It's a good deal. Sailing on Bear Lake is gorgeous if you ever want to make the drive.
I'm actually in Utah County and talking with the Timpanogos Yacht Club. That's the closest and easiest for me to get to, but I'd like to get out on the Salt Lake sometime. I didn't grow up here and have never been on that lake - I fly over it once or twice a month, but I don't think that counts.

We go to Bear Lake every summer, but it's usually powerboats with skis/wakeboards. I'll have to see if there's anyone dumb enough to rent their boat to me, that'd be fun.