Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2021, 13:44   #1

Hello to everyone

Hello,

I am new to this forum and new to sailing. I have sailed a dinghy before, but only a few times. I enjoyed sailing the few times that I did it, so I decided that I would begin learning about sailing. I made a mistake by reading a book "Sailing Alone Around The World." That book intrigued me to the point that I am considering a life of sailing. Now, that being said. I am completely new to sailing, so I am here to read a lot and post very little.

I was given a 22 foot sailboat by a friend of mine. I plan on learning with that particular boat on a lake before going to the gulf for short sailing trips. I also plan on going to different classes in order to get a decent working knowledge of what I am doing. I do not want to get myself or anyone else killed.

I have read through several of the threads on here already and must say that sailor humor is my kind of humor. I especially enjoyed the thread about new dreamers. I saw myself in several of those jokes which certainly put some things into perspective for me. I guess that what I'm saying is that you guys have already taught me a few things. Those things, once pondered, seem a lot more important than they did before I read through those threads.

As I said earlier, I am here mostly to read. I will attempt to find the information in the many threads. I assume that there is plenty of advice on what certifications are the best to have if you are wanting to live on a sail boat and travel the world.

I guess I should add that I have a lot of respect for those of you who have crossed oceans in less than fair weather. I consider myself fairly courageous, but the physical and mental fortitude it must take to cross oceans alone has me in relative awe.

Respectfully,

JR
JRISLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 14:14   #2

Re: Hello to everyone

Welcome, great attitude. We all started out somewhere. Looks like you'll enjoy the journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 14:29   #3

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

Welcome JR. Welcome aboard! What kind of boat is your 22'; that is what I have; got any pictures?
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 17:55   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome.

I would suggest updating your profile with your general location and your boat make & model or “Looking” in the "Boat" category. This info shows up under your UserName in every post in the web view. Many questions are boat and/or location dependent and having these tidbits under your UserName saves answering those questions repeatedly. If you need help setting up your profile then click on this link: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3308797

I would happily help more if the link above is not enough.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote