Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2017, 07:57   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Hello From Very Landlocked Colorado

Greetings all! New guy checking in. Lifelong boater who has been sailing for the last 22 years. Have had a fascination with the sea and ships ever since I was a small boy and, since my career decisions and path led away from the sea, have been wanting to go cruising for a long time as an alternative. Because of business obligations and advancing age, I'd resigned myself to the notion that cruising would remain an unrequited desire. Well, the search for a boat to place on our local lakes led to more ambitious (i.e. foolish) endeavors and I currently have a cruiser under contract in FL. If the survey goes well, I'll soon be moving it to the Great Lakes on its own bottom via the east coast, Hudson & Erie Canal. That's why I'm here folks. I'm drinking from a firehose right now 'cause I will likely be single handing much of the trip and shorthanded the rest. My head's been largely out of this for awhile so I'm apt to have a lot of questions. One question right off, is this a forum that encourages fresh threads on old discussions or one that directs you to search for past threads? Thanks to all for this valuable resource!
Durangutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:11   #2

Boat: Bayfield 29 Cutter - Rumiko
Re: Hello From Very Landlocked Colorado

Welcome Durangutan,
We are also in Durango, with our boat in the Sea of Cortez.
Good luck with your new endeavors, we would love to sail the Great Lakes (my wife grew up on the north east shore of Superior).

Dan
rumiko dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 08:24   #3

Thank you Dan. I have long admired Gozzards which I believe emerged from the Bayfield lineage. We took a driving trip around the GLs a couple of years ago and became enamored with a little town in WI. Since the boat will only see a few weeks of use a year, I figured it better to have it sitting there on the hard in a cooler freshwater environment until we see where this takes us.
Old 17-03-2017, 08:29   #4

Hello Durangutan (sp?) and, I suspect, my good friend Rumiko Dan -

We too are in Durango. We should start a support club - or a yacht club on the animas. lol.

Curious to see what you find out about new questions on old threads, as I will be doing the same.

See you?
dgoanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgoanne View Post
Hello Durangutan (sp?) and, I suspect, my good friend Rumiko Dan -

We too are in Durango. We should start a support club - or a yacht club on the animas. lol.

Curious to see what you find out about new questions on old threads, as I will be doing the same.

See you?
Indeed! I think that there are a lot of part time cruisers here (DRO). My wife knows at least a few so there probably is a sizeable community at the local level.
Old 17-03-2017, 09:27   #6

Boat: 1984 Pearson 386

Hello fellow CO-Sailor!!! We live in Denver but have a rental/planned retirement home just north of Tampa with an old but trusted Dufour Arpege docked in the backyard that we sailed/motored/ICW'd from Maryland (I love saying that, to get to Mexico, you leave the dock and turn right!). We also have a 22' MacGregor in a summer slip on Lake Carter. If you get to this side of the big rocks, we'd love to sail with you because we love sailing, are planning a circumnavigation in 8 years, 4 months, and 15 days...but don't really have a clue what we're doing. We find this forum invaluable, insightful, and (usually) friendly. If you need crew up north, on Blue Mesa, or want to skipper with us, let me know!
DenverSailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 09:41   #7

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durangutan View Post
...One question right off, is this a forum that encourages fresh threads on old discussions or one that directs you to search for past threads?
In answer to your first question — yes .

There have been threads on exactly this issue. Some say, use the search tool and add to existing threads. Others say this is a discussion forum, not a library, so post questions as they occur to you. I’m in the latter camp, so I say post away!

There’s a ton of experience on this forum. You’ll get good answers, along with some crappy and obnoxious ones. I know something about the Great Lakes. If I can help with any of your queries, I will.
Old 17-03-2017, 10:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSailors View Post
Hello fellow CO-Sailor!!! We live in Denver but have a rental/planned retirement home just north of Tampa with an old but trusted Dufour Arpege docked in the backyard that we sailed/motored/ICW'd from Maryland (I love saying that, to get to Mexico, you leave the dock and turn right!). We also have a 22' MacGregor in a summer slip on Lake Carter. If you get to this side of the big rocks, we'd love to sail with you because we love sailing, are planning a circumnavigation in 8 years, 4 months, and 15 days...but don't really have a clue what we're doing. We find this forum invaluable, insightful, and (usually) friendly. If you need crew up north, on Blue Mesa, or want to skipper with us, let me know!
Thank you for the kind offer. Likewise, if you find yourselves down here and want an outing, we keep a Ranger 20 on a nearby mountain lake when it's not stiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
In answer to your first question — yes .

There have been threads on exactly this issue. Some say, use the search tool and add to existing threads. Others say this is a discussion forum, not a library, so post questions as they occur to you. I’m in the latter camp, so I say post away!

There’s a ton of experience on this forum. You’ll get good answers, along with some crappy and obnoxious ones. I know something about the Great Lakes. If I can help with any of your queries, I will.
Thank you. I prefer the latter camp for similar reasons as well. I will definitely have plenty of question about the GLs when the time comes.
Old 17-03-2017, 11:45   #9

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Hey Durangutan,

We lived in Pagosa Springs for 10 years, though it's been a couple eons ago. You have some beautiful country out your door step. Where is your boat in Florida? You'll be coming through my country on the way North no matter where. What's your new boat?

Let me know your schedule I love nothing better than poking around boats.

Dave
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 11:49   #10

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Howdy! We are formerly from Westminster. Now retired and on our boat, currently the Sea of Cortez.
We have met quite a few folk from Durango. As a matter of fact it seems as if half the state is here in Mexico. Good luck on your endeavors!
Old 17-03-2017, 12:04   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Hey Colorado!

I looked up you spot in google images and WHOA what a beautiful place you are living in! An easy match to many of the beautiful seaside places I know.

You can search some for specific answers as many things have been discussed by others but it is equally fine if you ask your questions right off the bat. If the topic is a dead donkey posters will link you to earlier threads.

Welcome and have fun here,

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 12:34   #12

Boat: Catalina 22

Best wishes for your new adventure. I like Mike's view of discussion and library. It is nice to have options.
Lou254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 12:39   #13

Boat: Catalina 380

Welcome Durangutan! I'll be missing the Ironhorse race this year due to moving the boat from MA to FL. Good luck with your transit north. Have a cold one for me at the Steamworks!
Summitfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2017, 15:46   #14

Thanks for the warm welcomes everyone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek_Guy View Post
Hey Durangutan,

We lived in Pagosa Springs for 10 years, though it's been a couple eons ago. You have some beautiful country out your door step. Where is your boat in Florida? You'll be coming through my country on the way North no matter where. What's your new boat?

Let me know your schedule I love nothing better than poking around boats.Dave
For fear of jinxing things, I'd rather not disclose too much but the boat is an '85 Cabo Rico 38 in Boca Raton. The survey is about ten days from now and I don't anticipate problems, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summitfun View Post
Welcome Durangutan! I'll be missing the Ironhorse race this year due to moving the boat from MA to FL. Good luck with your transit north. Have a cold one for me at the Steamworks!
My sister's riding the Iron Horse again this year. You people are nuts! Coincidentally, I just came from the El Rancho 'cause Steamworks was packed! Something about St. Someone's day I think?
Old 20-03-2017, 12:20   #15

Boat: Hunter Passage 42

Durangutan

That is one beautiful boat. Hoping for the best for you.

Looks like they completely sanded and refinished the wood inside. If the rest of that boat was cared for like the inside wood it should be model perfect.

Dave
Geek_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote