Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 10:14   #1

Boat: Maine Cat 38'
Hello from the OBX!

I'm just joining the Forum. We live on the beautiful OBX off the coast of North Carolina. I'm starting research as we are considering taking our 38 'Cat south for the winter if our teenage boys have school moved virtual. At least to FL and depending on entry, we'll head to the Bahamas, etc. I've been told that this is the spot I need to monitor and ask questions as we work on planning!

Thanks in advance for tips and advice!
klap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 16:18   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: Hello from the OBX!

Welcome and great plan you have developing. A semester at sea would be a great life experience for the entire family.

Sailing south in either the ICW or Atlantic Ocean , as well as crossing to the Bahamas is well covered in past threads on this forum. Obviously COVID is adding an extra layer of complication for the coming season. It will be interesting watching and planning through the coming months.
Old 15-07-2020, 17:49   #3

Boat: 1987 Hinterhoeller Niagara 35 Encore

We are Living aboard in manteo. Where on the OBX are you?
Iain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2020, 08:19   #4

Location: Detroit's Home, Traveling in Central and South America 2016

What kind of 38 cat? This is my retirement goal (lagoon 40) but the pandemic is creating some interesting opportunities.
Ramsey.Slim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2020, 08:43   #5

@iian We are up in Southern Shores so on the north end of the OBX. How long have you been in Manteo and where are you down there? We aren't living aboard here.

@ramsey.slim Ours is a Maine Cat. She was built more for speed and performance than comfort so has a very different design than the Lagoon but is great. She was built here in the US.
Old 20-07-2020, 08:44   #6

@sparx Which forum is best to look for info such as the Florida, Bahamas, Cuba types of crossings and info? And you're right, COVID brings its own special navigation .

Thanks again all for the response and I'll start trying to dig into the Forums more!
Old 20-07-2020, 11:57   #7

Klap,

Maine Cat 38, excellent! Our Second Star is also a Maine Cat 38!

The best way to search the forum is to google using cruisers forum in the search term. For example searching for "cruisers forum: bahamas crossing" brings up a long list of threads related to Bahamas crossings.

To get your pump primed...Our current plan is to take our Maine Cat 38 to the Bahamas in February...contingent on COVID 19 developments. We will use the ICW if weather is not favorable, but otherwise we will get into the ocean from the Chesapeake or from Beaufort NC. The course via the ocean will be southeast until well across the gulf stream before heading more south. An alternative ocean route would hug the coast giving the opportunity to visit Charleston and St Augustine. You can search the threads for lots of discussion on routes to the Bahamas, including ICW cruises if that is your preference

Depending on when your semester at sea starts you might want to include September and October in the Chesapeake. This is prime sailing time on the Chesapeake, and less vulnerable to hurricanes compared to further south.

Early November is a great time to start wondering south, and when many people start their winter sailing season.

Happy planning!
Old 20-07-2020, 12:06   #8

Lol..."wondering south" is a good term for planning, wandering south a better term for actually sailing.
Old 20-07-2020, 13:44   #9

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Welcome
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2020, 08:26   #10
Marine Service Provider

Hello from Ocracoke! Let me know if you guys are passing this way, I’d be happy to tell you all about crossing the stream (never on a North wind!) and cruising the Bahamas/Florida!
Swimmingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 06:08   #11

Thanks @Swimmingbird! Would love to connect sometime in Ocracoke. We were just talking yesterday about needing to get down there soon as we haven't since the hurricane. The season has been so busy here this summer and we missed our typical spring 'recharge' trip to Ocracoke to take a breath before busy seasons.

And @Sparx, what a small world! We didn't realize that an other MC 38's were near by. Which hull # is S/V Second Star? My husband would love to connect and talk all things MC sometime. Other than sailing her down from Maine (in early Dec which wasn't much fun), she hasn't done any further distance than Ocracoke so we're looking forward to putting some miles on her heading south.
Old 27-07-2020, 08:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by klap View Post

And @Sparx, what a small world! We didn't realize that an other MC 38's were near by. Which hull # is S/V Second Star? My husband would love to connect and talk all things MC sometime. Other than sailing her down from Maine (in early Dec which wasn't much fun), she hasn't done any further distance than Ocracoke so we're looking forward to putting some miles on her heading south.
Second Star is hull number 5.

If you would like to talk send a PM with a proposed time.
Sparx is online now   Reply With Quote