Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2020, 02:42   #1

Smile Hello from Durban, South Africa

My name is Shelldon and as the title indicates, I call Durban (South Africa) home.

I've signed up (for the 2nd time) on this forum for the simple reason that this pandemic has awoken me to the fact that if I don't get off my butt and work constructively towards my dream of sailing the world, well then the the next 47 years will roll by and I'll have even more regrets!

I've given myself 3 years (so my 50th b'day) to embark on this journey - that's 3 years to learn blue water seamanship (is that the right term?), find a boat, etc...etc.

I hope I don't become to much of an irritant but I'll be asking loads of questions.

Thanks all, stay safe (and sane).

Cheers
Shelldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:52   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Hello from Durban, South Africa

Greetings and belated welcome aboard the CF, Shelldon.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:58   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

South Africa is currently shut to foreign boats now do to the cv19 virus. How's thing look in Durban? Do you see any light at the end of the tunnel?
Old 08-04-2020, 05:34   #4

Boat: Leopard 40 o/v

Welcome Shelldon to the world of sailing and cruising - Enjoy and stay safe the in SA.
Blackie Swart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:54   #5

Thanks for the welcome. We're all on lockdown until the 17th, so staying safe isn't the difficult part, it's staying sane that may be a struggle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackie Swart View Post
Welcome Shelldon to the world of sailing and cruising - Enjoy and stay safe the in SA.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:02   #6

Right now the CV19 virus has been slowed dramatically in comparison to other countries, so I guess the lock down is working. But at what cost? We're on lockdown for 3 weeks, it's pretty much killed the South African economy.

I'm a tour guide with my own small business. Even before the lockdown was announced my guests were cancelling tours left right ad center because of what was happening in their own countries.

I'm one of the lucky ones, I have savings and no dependents. My fellow guides, well many of them will have been set back some 10 years, some are closing or will close if tourism doesn't recover in 6 months or sooner (which it's not forecast to do).

But South African has been through many difficult periods - I'm pretty positive on the whole, things are tough right now but I truly believe will improve. It's just kinda a case up hitting the "reset" button. I think it's an opportunity for many people to have a real look at what's important to their lives - much like I'm doing.

Once the lockdown is ended, I personally will be looking in to learning marine mechanics, sail making and the like; essentially broaden my skills in preparation for the "big sail". I'm even investigating boat building (I was once a cabinet maker - who knows if that skill will translate).

Apologies for the long ramble.

I hope everyone in their respective countries are staying safe and sane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
South Africa is currently shut to foreign boats now do to the cv19 virus. How's thing look in Durban? Do you see any light at the end of the tunnel?
Old 09-04-2020, 02:16   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelldon View Post
My name is Shelldon and as the title indicates, I call Durban (South Africa) home.

I've signed up (for the 2nd time) on this forum for the simple reason that this pandemic has awoken me to the fact that if I don't get off my butt and work constructively towards my dream of sailing the world, well then the the next 47 years will roll by and I'll have even more regrets!

I've given myself 3 years (so my 50th b'day) to embark on this journey - that's 3 years to learn blue water seamanship (is that the right term?), find a boat, etc...etc.

I hope I don't become to much of an irritant but I'll be asking loads of questions.

Thanks all, stay safe (and sane).

Cheers
Hi Sheldon. Gert Amanzimtoti, Durban.
gnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 03:16   #8

Hi Gert!

Hope you doing ok during the lockdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnell View Post
Hi Sheldon. Gert Amanzimtoti, Durban.
Old 09-04-2020, 10:59   #9

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I’m sitting on my boat on the hard in Richards Bay. At least there are piles of projects I’m able to carry on with here.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0223.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	384.1 KB
ID:	212372
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2020, 01:33   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gert.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2020, 00:05   #11

I guess the bright side is that you have a project (or projects) to work on - spare a thought for those who are sitting bored staring out the window!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeFergie View Post
I’m sitting on my boat on the hard in Richards Bay. At least there are piles of projects I’m able to carry on with here.Attachment 212372

Tags
Africa, Durban, South Africa