Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2015, 10:13   #1

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri
Greetings from Vancouver, Canada

I am glad to join this inner sanctum of friendly, helpful sailors - but then all sailors are like that, right?! I have been sailing the BC coast that is sheltered behind Vancouver Island (and the US San Juan Islands) for about 30 years, and more and more I realise how lucky I am to live with such great cruising ground at my door. I had an early model Catalina 30 and I made significant changes to it - it was a much better boat when I sold it than when I bought it 22 years earlier. I have moved up to a SeaClipper 38 trimaran named "Cloud Nine". It is a good thing that I enjoy working on boats. I have just installed a new diesel inboard to replace the inconvenient and unreliable outboards.

I am a retired shop teacher and school counsellor. My first mate of 40 years (and Cook First Class!) sails with me in better conditions. This year I hope to sail around Vancouver Island - about 650 nm or 1,100 km - with first mate and/or friends when prudent for them to be on board. Next year it might be Alaska for several months.

On security detail is our 25 lb, terrier-cross, recue-dog, Dottie - who we just know is the nicest little dog in the whole world! She could knock you off a boat with that truncheon of a tail she has or lick you to death. Be warned!

Best wishes to all, and fair winds,

RR. (definitely NOT Rolls Royce!)
Rotten Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 05:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Greetings from Vancouver, Canada

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, RR.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 06:00   #3

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Welcome aboard RR, from the Right (& currently still snowing) Coast of Canada.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 08:58   #4

Thanks for the welcome, Gord May and Prairie Chicken.

GM, we enjoyed the people we met in Thunder Bay 2 years ago on our cross Canada/US trip, though we were not in TB long. I hope to sail one day on the great lakes and TB is about as close as it gets.

PC, it would be interesting to hear about your connection with Spain and the actual location of your boat. I recall the time 10 years ago when we chartered a boat in Greece, and though we enjoyed it, it made us realize just what we have in our own back yard on the Left Coast. Wow - you Right Coasters has taken a hammering this winter again - we feel for you. We enjoyed our visit in our RV two years ago to the Maritimes - and left with great fondness for another group of maritime people. Cheers.
Old 27-04-2015, 09:53   #5

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Wecome RR!

For you... I will sing all the words I know of "Oh Canada."
Hey wait, that was all she wrote.

To Dottie, I will say... cheers

And you will really enjoy the trip around Vancouver Island.
I did it a number of years ago with boat buddies based up
there and it was absolutely beautiful.
Man, you guys have tides!

Sailfish
SV Sailfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 10:06   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy and Welcome Aboard the Forum Ricky!

Having a Cook, First Class aboard is always a great idea.

Good luck on your sailing adventures and have fun!

Steady
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 22:23   #7

Boat: Lagoon 420

Welcome on to CF, RR!

Yes, PNW is a great place. Have chartered from Vancouver a number of times and will be again in a few weeks for 4 days. Planning stops in Silva Bay, Gibsons & Snug Cove. Looking forward to getting out there.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 23:10   #8

Hello Sailfish, Yes, the tides can be a blessing and a curse. But the tides in eastern Canada make ours look puny - the tides in the Bay of Fundy can reach 50 feet!!! We are looking forward to circumnavigating Vancouver Island.

Thanks for the welcome, Steady Hand.

Krafthaus I hope your charter works out well and the weather is obliging. It should be warmer than the prairies anyway! I am aiming to be out on the water for at least May 15 to 18 between the Fraser River and Port Browning on North Pender Island.

Cheers, RR.
Old 19-12-2020, 22:35   #9

Boat: 15' Wherry & Wharram Tiki 21

hi Rotten Ricky,
I'm wondering if you still have tyour SEaclipper Tri. Reason is that I spotted what I'm sure is a Seaclipper 38 end-tied here in Ladner, BC. However, it's not got blue on the cabin sides so it's either repainted or there are two in this neck of the woods. Love to hear from you.
Wherryrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2020, 13:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wherryrower View Post
hi Rotten Ricky,
I'm wondering if you still have tyour SEaclipper Tri. Reason is that I spotted what I'm sure is a Seaclipper 38 end-tied here in Ladner, BC. However, it's not got blue on the cabin sides so it's either repainted or there are two in this neck of the woods. Love to hear from you.

Hi Wherry!

I have tried twice to reply to you and have been dropped out by CF and will not try another time-consuming, substantial reply again. So this is just to say, yes, that is the beautiful "Cloud Nine" at Ladner Harbour. The "A"-dock gate - which you can probably see from the town side of the harbour - is often left ajar in the day, so feel free to take a closer look. You will probably find many posts by me about the boat on CF - if you can get past the new aggressive and annoying advertising that CF now forces on us. You can also send me a confidential message.

Cheers, R.

Tags
Canada