Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2011, 20:38   #1

Send a message via AIM to ghost1227 Send a message via Yahoo to ghost1227 Send a message via Skype™ to ghost1227
Greetings and Salutations !

Ever since I found this forum I haven't been able to stop reading, but i finally managed to tear myself away from the wealth of knowledge long enough to post a formal introduction.

I grew up near the C&D canal and, thanks to a seafaring uncle, spent a good bit of time on the water. After highschool, I enlisted and spent seven years in the Marine Corps, much of that time playing in the sandbox with no water in sight. Unfortunately, time marches on and by the time I got out my uncle had disappeared off the face of the earth.

For the last four years or so I've been looking for ways to get back on the water. I can't afford my own boat yet, but I have faith that with a little planning and patience, I can make it happen.

My long term goal is to fine a suitable blue water sailboat (and learn how to actually keep it in ship shape), spend six months to a year living on her to get accustomed to life away from dry land, then make a four-five year circumnavigation. Once I'm done my world tour, I'd like to 'settle down' (or at least come as close as a true sailor can) and live aboard.

From what I've read, the first question asked of those who express these interests is 'are you really ready and willing to give up all those creature comforts'. For me this is a no-brainer. Military life, particularly overseas, is quite spartan. Since leaving the military I've effectively been a nomad, living in five states in as many years, keeping only what possessions I could take with me. In other words, I wouldn't know what to do with stuff if I had it!

While I admittedly know little about sailing (I've been on plenty but the most I've done in regards to actual sailing is helping with navigation. Most of my (also minimal) actual experience has been in motorboats of various sizes.), my goal is to get my hand on something in the 32'-40' range. Basically, I'm looking for something that's small enough that I could handle it solo (with a bit of practice), but big enough that I could potentially bring a partner comfortably, presuming I can find a female who can put up with me.

So... if you have questions or comments, feel free to bring them up. Otherwise, I'll just keep reading away and waiting for the day I can finally say "she's mine".
ghost1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 00:27   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Re: Greetings and salutations!

Welcome to the forum.
Might I suggest looking in to our Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates
Have fun.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 07:22   #3

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum and enjoy
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2011, 15:14   #4

Send a message via AIM to ghost1227 Send a message via Yahoo to ghost1227 Send a message via Skype™ to ghost1227

Quote:
Originally Posted by James S View Post
Welcome to the forum.
Might I suggest looking in to our Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Single Sailors Seeking Soul Mates
Have fun.
I'll definitely stop in there!
ghost1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 20:12   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thanks for your service Marine.
Good luck in finding what you seek.
kind regards,