Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 21:23   #1

Greetings, All

Hello, all ...

Brand new member to what appears to be a lively, engaging group of sailing enthusiasts. Am presently living in landlocked Alberta, Canada, but have just returned from an absolutely spellbinding 2 week vacation in Hopetown, Abaco, Bahamas. I presently own a 20 foot ski boat (boring!!) but fantasize about spending my retirement (about a year away) aboard a 42' bluewater sailboat. I am a totally inexperienced sailor, but have read countless books and have viewed countless videos and plan on taking basic lessons on my next tropical holiday. Maybe someday I'll be able to actually live my dream.

All the best …

Joe
Caffeine_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 21:34   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: Greetings, all

Welcome Joe. I have friends who started out sailing on the lakes around Edmonton about thirty years ago. Eventually they trailered their boat to Mexico where they came to the conclusion they needed a bigger boat. They are currently in El Salvador aboard Tika. I did a spell in Edmonton but find it hard to live so far from the ocean and so close to the cold!

Nice to have you join us on the forum.

-Greg.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 22:05   #3

Thanks, Greg …

Just finished reading Bergovoy's epic post re his pilgrimage from CA to FL and all of his (mis)adventures along the way. I'm thinking if this guy could pull off a purchase like he did, then nothing is out of the question.

And you're right about the coldhere in Alberta. It's absolutely ridiculous this year. Early March and we're still seeing temperatures in the -38 deg. F range. Brutal!!
Old 07-03-2011, 01:07   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lively?? You could say that - but like anything we have our moments - and there do seem to be more 'hot' threads around than usual at the moment!

Welcome aboard, and enjoy your prep for retirement?

Where do you take your 20 foot ski boat? Why not trade it in for a dinghy and get the feeling for sailing... apart from the power aspect, everything else is the same. Except for the galleys on yachts are better. And the dinghies. But apart from that...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 20:51   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here and hope you can find your "right" boat soon.
kind regards,
Old 09-03-2011, 21:09   #6

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
a dinghy and get the feeling for sailing
I'd second that

To get up to speed on what makes a sailboat move and how you control it nothing (IMNSHO) beats a small racing dinghy where every move counts.

Welcome to the forum !

-Sven
Old 10-03-2011, 00:28   #7

Boat: Vagabond 42
Re: Greetings, All

WELCOME! Everybody starts there - don't stop and you will get where you want to go.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:54   #8

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy being here.
Old 10-03-2011, 18:30   #9

Thanks all, for the warm greetings. Looking forward to participating in some discussions. My limited sailing knowledge puts me at a distinct advantage so most of my posts will probably be dumbass questions. Please bear with me.

All the best …

Joe
Old 11-03-2011, 22:15   #10

Love you already! Ask away - none of us are complete experts, but all together there is a heck of a lot of knowledge to be found and shared here.
Old 11-03-2011, 22:26   #11
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeine_Joe View Post
most of my posts will probably be dumbass questions. Please bear with me.
Joe
Even better. We love the dumbass questions 'cos there's more chance of us knowing the answer, and that makes us look clever
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 22:31   #12

Quote:
Even better. We love the dumbass questions 'cos there's more chance of us knowing the answer, and that makes us look clever

Said perfectly!
Old 14-03-2011, 19:45   #13

Quote:
Okay, then - let's get started …

1 .. Should I really post my dumbass questions in this 'Meets & Greets' section, or would it more appropriate to post elsewhere in the forum??

2 .. Question #1 notwithstanding, dumbass question #1:
When a sailboat is heeled over hard, what is preventing it from rolling completely over on it's side? And when I see photos of crew members sitting on the high side of a heeled over boat, is it to prevent the said rollover from occurring? I'm thinking it's because of the weighted keel, but there's probably some math/physics involved. If there are some engineers just dying to explain this with calculations and formulas --- please don't. Just answer "because".

3 .. Dumbass question #2:
Again, referring to photos that I've seen, what are the two crew members actually doing when they're both hunched over a winch and are intently 'grinding'? Are they adjusting sail trim? Typically which sail, and why wouldn't the winch be geared to provide maximum torque with minimum revolutions. Again, engineers - you've been warned!!

4 .. Last Dumbass question of the night:
Obviously catamarans are faster than monohulls, but are they inherently more stable in really rough seas? Say, for an example, rounding Cape Horn, would a cat be better than a cutter?? Again I'm seeing visions of a 'cat up on one hull tipping precariously toward oblivion while the cutter is knifing through the swells.

Thanks again, folks. Looking forward to gittin' educated.

All the best …

Joe
Old 14-03-2011, 19:59   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Answers:

1) You should post to the subforum that seems most appropriate.
2) Sheer luck (kidding). Actually it's a combination of things including: as she heels the sails present less of a profile to the wind and dump the wind, the shape of the hull will usually allow the initial heel more easily then the last bit (thank goodness) and the weight in the keel wants to pull you back up.
3) Making coffee (kiddng again). Yes they are tightening a sheet and pulling the sail tighter. Trimming the sail.
4) Depends. The wide stance of the cat hulls gives them a greater intial stability but the deeper hull and lower weight gives a mono a better righting moment after they've heeled to a certain point. With a cat you should trim your sails to make sure you don't heel as at a certain point they aren't as forgiving as a mono if it's well designed.

This is the Dummy's version and that's all you'll get from me. Post your questions in the appropriate subforum and you will get better answers. You should search as well since you will find answers out there already.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2011, 22:31   #15

Hummingway is too humble. He gave you very good answers.
1 and 2) can't think of a thing to add.
3) have you seen Captain Ron? If not Google it now, but don't take it too seriously. Which sail depends on the boat, what sails it carries, and what adjustment they are trying to make (point of sail, raising a sail, balancing sails . . . ) It is all about the sails. As far as winch ratios go - how big do you want your winch to be?
4) Never been on a cat so can't say squat.

Enjoy the education - 'cause sailors never finish learning.