Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 09:40   #1

G`day yall!!

Just joined this web site.... been a live-a-board for a year and a half now... get the feeling I should have joined a site like this a year and a half ago, but this is the first regular internet access I`ve had since purchase. I have issues... and so does my boat.... off of the top, I (may) have water in my diesel tank (not my fault), the pin is sheared (cut with a hacksaw) on my autohelm (I don`t recall doing that), and I was forced to cut away about 200 ft of G4 chain and 45 lb CQR($$$$)... cha ching... from my bow as my windlass has mysteriously stopped working. I now realize that for the the size of my 36 cape george, I shouldn`t have had even a fraction of that weight in my bow chain (and rhode) locker!!!! I want to head blue water in the spring, have little funds, much time... would appreciate ANY AND ALL help I can get on this forum to resolve my BOAT ISSUES... Sigmund Freud can kiss my hairy bean bag!!! (If you are of the fairer sex, I apologize for the vulgarity... that is just where my life seems to be right now )... If you want to criticize me, save it, please, I am just looking for some HONEST and GOOD help with my boat from experienced and trained sea-going personel... I don`t know how much longer I will be where I am, so an expedient response to any or all of my concerns would be greatly appreciated. CHEERS MATES!!!! Chris.
chriscarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03   #2
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: G`day yall!!

eheh
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:21   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscarpenter View Post
Just joined this web site.... been a live-a-board for a year and a half now... get the feeling I should have joined a site like this a year and a half ago, but this is the first regular internet access I`ve had since purchase. I have issues... and so does my boat.... off of the top, I (may) have water in my diesel tank (not my fault), the pin is sheared (cut with a hacksaw) on my autohelm (I don`t recall doing that), and I was forced to cut away about 200 ft of G4 chain and 45 lb CQR($$$$)... cha ching... from my bow as my windlass has mysteriously stopped working. I now realize that for the the size of my 36 cape george, I shouldn`t have had even a fraction of that weight in my bow chain (and rhode) locker!!!! I want to head blue water in the spring, have little funds, much time... would appreciate ANY AND ALL help I can get on this forum to resolve my BOAT ISSUES... Sigmund Freud can kiss my hairy bean bag!!! (If you are of the fairer sex, I apologize for the vulgarity... that is just where my life seems to be right now )... If you want to criticize me, save it, please, I am just looking for some HONEST and GOOD help with my boat from experienced and trained sea-going personel... I don`t know how much longer I will be where I am, so an expedient response to any or all of my concerns would be greatly appreciated. CHEERS MATES!!!! Chris.
Why were you forced to cut the anchor/chain away? Couldnt haul it up by hand? You want about 200 ft of chain up there n your boat, put 150 ft of nylon behind it too. Great boat you've got there.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 18:55   #4

Boat: Skookum 53'

Welcome to the forum Chris. I am sure that we (the members of the forum), will advise you as best we can. First issue, would be focus down so that the big picture doesn't seem so overwhelming. You can help yourself by making a big list of projects, and then prioitize them so that you can address the most serious issues first. Also make time to go for a walk and decompress.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Chris.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 20:59   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Sorry about your anchor and chain. That really is heavy and I know why you cut it if you just had to leave in a hurry. Otherwise, block and tackle or winch it with a line from your sheet winches to a line tied to the anchor. Would take a bit of time with 200 feet but could be done.
kind regards,
Old 20-11-2012, 06:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
... I was forced to cut away about 200 ft of G4 chain and 45 lb CQR($$$$)... cha ching... from my bow as my windlass has mysteriously stopped working...
I hope you tied a float (fender etc) to it, prior to letting go.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 06:36   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

-excuse me if I'm being too basic, but the gist of your post suggests a lack of experience.

1. 200' of chain was not too much for the bow of your boat.
2. I'm assuming you've got an electric windlass since it "mysteriously" stopped working. If so, find the heavy-duty circuit breaker running from the battery bank to the windlass. This is usually not in line with the other circuit breakers for your 12v system. Reset the circuit breaker and get back to us.
3. How much water are we talking about in your diesel? If it's only a few cups, an in-line water separator will probably take care of it. Most boats have one made by Racor. Just make sure to drain the water every time you use the engine. If your water separator doesn't have a transparent bowl where you can see how much water needs to be drained, get one. Use a flashlight when you check.
4. What sort of autohelm do you have? There are several different types of autohelm drive units, and it would be impossible to advise you on this unless we know what you've got. Pictures of the severed pin would be helpful.
5. You might want to throw the hacksaw away until you get more experience.