Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 14:09   #1

Ahoy!

Just registered and at 58 years old I'm hoping to get help with my next bucket list item - procuring, provisioning and sailing away on a live aboard. I have always wanted to do this. I have my freshly renewed 100 ton license and at almost 60 years old I'm about ready to pack it in from New England and cast off for warmer weather down south. Not that sailing is my only choice - should I find the right twin diesel express sport fish cruiser at the right price that would work as well. But given the cost and maintenance of a twin engine rig, and the fact that I'm on a shoestring budget, sailing is calling me again.
36-65 foot seems to be the ballpark.
fishingmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 14:37   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Ahoy!

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, 'maniac.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 14:26   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ahoy, Howdy, and welcome aboard! 

Sounds like a nice plan to me. I have always enjoyed fishing and it is something I hope to do often when I get a boat in the future.

I came across a "for sale" 65 foot Hatteras Sport Fisher and it made me think how much fun it would be. Though that will not be my future boat, I can see the appeal.

Enjoy your time on the water, or even armchair sailing too. 
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 14:32   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Welcome aboard. We're right there with ya!!

36-65 is quite a spread. Your budget must be right flexible which will give you lots of choices. If you're going with a power boat that would leave the Great Loop out there as an option. That is on our bucket list too, but that's "Phase II" of the cruising adventure.

Hope you find the perfect boat for you. See you "out there."
Old 11-10-2014, 10:18   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
I'd go more for the 36 end of your spread.
kind regards,
Old 11-10-2014, 13:43   #6

Welcome & good luck on your search.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 14:18   #7

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Welcome, this one is easy,,,if you are on a shoe string budget power anything is out of your budget.
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 17:01   #8

I've been operating a 28' center console charter fishing boat with twin 250 outboards. $20K each motor. And they are better when purchased in pairs. Plus all the other "stuff". Of course all the other stuff requires updating and service also such as 4 man life raft, bottom paint, buffing and electronics. I need a place to sleep, cook, eat, wash up, a little heat and air conditioning is always nice. The power boats with all that that I like, such as a 2005 (I think) 34' pursuit with twin Cummins and genset are just a little out of my range at around 100K plus maintenance. It had plenty of room down below with all the a fore mentioned amenities, twin flat screen TV's and room to move even with 3-4 people below deck. Same type boat with outboards won't have the beam for room below.
Sailboat wise, I'm thinking 36 is more of a minimum, with my friends 36 Island Packet still lacking a few amenities, no genset, AC, propane only heat, smaller water fuel and holding tanks than might be practical. I think one of those $5-6K water makers would be a plus also when traveling South beyond Fla. And I cannot really afford it. MY friends Island Packet is about 5 years old and would still be worth about $150K. :-(
But I know there are deals out there, as long as I don't get one that needs more maintenance than I can afford too. It's probably not happening this year, maybe next year or further down the road, so I figure time to start looking, learning and investigating now. I had thought the Benniteau 60 was perfect. But not the quality of the Island Packet and probably close to a million dollars, plus upkeep. LOL not happening unless I hit the lottery - and even then I'd probably have to hit it twice!
BTW I would only want a minimal amount of wood. Been there and don't that! And synthetic wood works for me!
fishingmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote