Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2021, 08:33   #1

Adaptive Life

Hi from Florida .
My name is Craig and I have purchased a lagoon 420 which is currently under a major refit . I will be using it to circumnavigate over the next few years leaving hopefully in June before the hurricanes start their paths of destruction . A lot of the trip will be done solo .
I am personally disabled .
I also train disabled people to scuba dive and sail and I will be using this opportunity to highlight people's abilities and show that disabilities do not stop disabled people from living full and accomplished lives .
I would love to hear from other disabled Sailors or Sailors who have traveled with disabled people . I wish everyone safe sailing.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20210312-WA0002.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	236936
craig.ress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 22:54   #2

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Adaptive Life

Hi Craig...welcome to the forum. You will have a large following here. Good luck on your adventure.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 01:44   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Craig.
Best of luck on your inspiring voyage[s].

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 04:08   #4

Might I recommend the blog Sailing Auklet? https://sailingauklet.com/about/
Whilst not on the scale of a circumnavigation, Shemaya has quite a bit of interesting stuff to say on the subject of sailing with a disability.
PatB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 18:38   #5

Boat: Spindrift 43

Hi Craig- From one Florida sailor to another!

I got banged up pretty good in a plane crash a little over a year ago- 2 months in the ICU and Neurological Recovery Ward later- (not to mention $1.5 million in medical bills) I’m all reassembled and sailing. With a host of new physical challenges that I’ve never had in my 20 years of sailing.

Having explored my new limitations, I feel very comfortable single handing my new (to me) 44’ cutter down to the Keys- I think I may aim for the Dry Tortugas in a couple months after my haul out (which started this week). I’ll give it a try soon, and I’ll hope my assumptions aren’t wrong.

Hit me up- it would be really cool to connect with a sailor down here who could share some experiences with our very unique challenges. Even better if we could help bring the experience of sailing to those even less fortunate who would otherwise be unable to experience it.
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 21:16   #6

Thank you. I have to interact and learn as much as I can from everyone here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Hi Craig...welcome to the forum. You will have a large following here. Good luck on your adventure.
Old 22-04-2021, 21:16   #7

Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Craig.
Best of luck on your inspiring voyage[s].
Old 22-04-2021, 21:19   #8

Hi Creedence. I think that it would be great to meet and share experiences. I'm not certain how we are allowed to communicate on this forum. My contact number is 561-563-1544. That would be great to hear from you. I hope I have not broken any rules.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
Hi Craig- From one Florida sailor to another!

I got banged up pretty good in a plane crash a little over a year ago- 2 months in the ICU and Neurological Recovery Ward later- (not to mention $1.5 million in medical bills) I’m all reassembled and sailing. With a host of new physical challenges that I’ve never had in my 20 years of sailing.

Having explored my new limitations, I feel very comfortable single handing my new (to me) 44’ cutter down to the Keys- I think I may aim for the Dry Tortugas in a couple months after my haul out (which started this week). I’ll give it a try soon, and I’ll hope my assumptions aren’t wrong.

Hit me up- it would be really cool to connect with a sailor down here who could share some experiences with our very unique challenges. Even better if we could help bring the experience of sailing to those even less fortunate who would otherwise be unable to experience it.
Old 22-04-2021, 21:20   #9

Thanks for the reference. I look forward to hearing what she has to teach
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatB View Post
Might I recommend the blog Sailing Auklet? https://sailingauklet.com/about/
Whilst not on the scale of a circumnavigation, Shemaya has quite a bit of interesting stuff to say on the subject of sailing with a disability.