Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 14:00   #1

Boat: '78 Hatteras 48LRC, 48' 10"
A new member from the dark side

I've been reading this forum for years. I gave my email address to that annoying popup request (gad, I hope it stops now that I've registered) presented to those visiting but not registered and received the resulting daily digests of new topics, faithfully reading those that interested me.

I was unsure if we'd buy sail or power from the start; both were equal to me, each having their tradeoffs, though I can't say my wife was of the same mind. Thankfully, she's been supportive and willing to consider the options. After the recession, bad luck with a rental/renters in California, and making a number of offers I thought fair but not attractive to the sellers or their brokers, I became convinced that we couldn't afford a powerboat that met our requirements, I wavered from my goal of being a trawler owner.

I kept a foot in both camps, reading blogs and forums written by sailors and power boaters. I was still hoping there was a powerboat we could afford but willing to consider the right sailboat, especially if I was ready to cruise before the powerboat solution floated nearby. The experience made me wonder why "cruisers" on boats (not cruise ships) didn't apply equally to both the power and sail communities. Sailors seem to bear a grudge, finding power boaters generally disagreeable, but I'm sure some will claim that I generalize unfairly. Doesn't matter.

Here I am now, a trawler owner and cruiser wannabe but weekend gunkholer until I retire in a few years, still occasionally wanting to contribute to topics created by sailboat cruisers. For that reason I register and introduce myself.

If you find yourself in the Solomons, MD, area and need some help, let me know. I don't care what kind of boat or vehicle got you here. I'll help if I'm able.
Greg Brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 14:27   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: A new member from the dark side

Welcome aboard Greg! I am at home in both camps so I don't think you need to assume all sailors eschew espousing the pros of powerboats. I just prefer sailing. But there is certainly part of me that would LOVE to chug around the PNW in a trawler! How about some photos of your boat for us?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 14:50   #3

As soon as I figure out how to post pics, meet the requirements, and get one to an acceptable size, I'll do it. Thanks for the greeting and asking to see a pic.
Old 12-11-2017, 15:44   #4

Boat: Lancer 44 Motor Sailer

Hi Greg, Welcome to the forum. I love most any thing that floats, if it's a boat it's good. Most power and sail boats are way out of my league price wise. Thank God for older boats that are affordable. Glad you found what you really wanted.
Diesel Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 20:44   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Welcome aboard CF.
Just remember o never do tthe one thing which frustrates all sailors:
PLEASE don't change course so you can cross IN FRONT of a sailboat, especially in light wind. Cross BEHIND !!

Thanks muchly from every sailor I've ever met.

Steve

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 22:08   #6
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

In both camps myself.
Love sailing more than “powerboating” but don’t have 3-4 weeks off to sail the Bahamas anymore.
Much quicker in my 17 knot stink potter than my ex-5.3 knot sailboat. But not as peaceful.
Moneywise about the same.
Old 12-11-2017, 22:49   #7

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Hi Greg, and welcome to the forum.

I guess, I have an explanation on the Powerboat - cruising thing.
Cruisers often live on their vessels and sail long distances, they usually are tight on budget to be able to stay on board as long as possible, fuel bills would just make this lifestyle much harder or even impossible for most. Also the sail boat cruiser want some audience for their blogs / vlogs as passive income - so they are very active online.

There are powerboat cruisers out there, and they are quite wealthy obviously - but they do not need a forum to fix problems or discuss technical stuff, they have a check book and a crew to sort it out. They usually are shy people and not so communicative outside their circles. So you probably will rarely meet them in the forum - you'll find them more often in the marina bars. They also are rarely on board on passages, they let the crew make it and fly over to the next destination to show off on board for a few days.

Regular power boaters are usually weekend cruisers, that enjoy some time on the water with diving / fishing, they need to get fast to a location and return quickly to work. Some others, especially live-a-boards rarely leave the dock, they just enjoy the marinas.

The most cost effective way to cruise is using your sails any anything whats for free along your journey, Diesel is expensive.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 03:33   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
... The most cost effective way to cruise is using your sails any anything whats for free along your journey, Diesel is expensive.
I disagree somewhat. Sails & rigging, too, are expensive.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 15:51   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Greg.

I disagree somewhat. Sails & rigging, too, are expensive.

I think it's well established that for most cruisers, a mile under sail is NOT cheaper than a mile under power for power boater.

I don't think we sail to save money. I couldn't burn in a lifetime the diesel fuel I could have bought for what I paid for my last suit of sails.

But anyway, to the OP, greetings and salutations! I think nearly all of us here just love boats, period, and a pretty power boat like the one whose photo you've posted pleases most of us just fine. I'm just an old boat slut myself, if you want to know the truth. Sail, power, mono, cat, kayak, paddleboard, even jetski -- I like 'em all. I do love to sail, but the main thing is getting out on the water at all, not how or in what.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2017, 05:50   #10

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Welcome Greg! I think you'll be fine whatever you decide. You seem to be willing to listen and read, then make up your own mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
There are powerboat cruisers out there, and they are quite wealthy obviously - but they do not need a forum to fix problems or discuss technical stuff, they have a check book and a crew to sort it out. They usually are shy people and not so communicative outside their circles. So you probably will rarely meet them in the forum - you'll find them more often in the marina bars. They also are rarely on board on passages, they let the crew make it and fly over to the next destination to show off on board for a few days.
LOL, are we maybe over-generalizing just a tad here?

Don't get me wrong, there ARE those types of power boaters out there. Just as there are sailors who fit all of the sailor stereotypes. Yes, our marina has had them come in and leave with all of our toilet paper a time or two.

I think most of the folks here don't fit those stereotypes, just as most of the folks over on the Trawler Forum don't meet the stereotypes CatNewBee so succinctly listed.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 14:54   #11

Thanks, All, for the warm welcome and generally accepting theories about the differences. Since I "grew up" in the sailing community while dreaming about being a power boater, the typical generalizations might not fit me.

Let's see if I can post pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BranwenAtOriental3C_June2015.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	368.6 KB
ID:	159266  
Old 16-11-2017, 14:58   #12

Welcome
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 15:24   #13

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

It will help to mention that you really prefer sail when you talk to people with sailboats. We bought an old Californian Swordfish fishboat a few years ago in Los Angeles and I fixed her up a bit in Ventura and we headed to Vancouver BC in her. It was a real adventure just having 1 engine and no sails as I have learnt never to trust an engine. But we had a great trip and met many sailboats heading south at different ports. Never had a problem meeting them as we all had the same coast to deal with. This is not an easy trip either way.

So, what I am really saying is that people who are cruising all have something in common and this is supposed to be a cruisers forum so I'm sure you will make friends here. Welcome indeed. John
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 15:10   #14

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

Welcome aboard! That’s a fine looking trawler. Congrats.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 16:49   #15
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Welcome aboard Greg and like DH, most of us like all kinds of well designed boats that we can enjoy being onboard.

Many experienced sailors evolve to power when their knees give out.

Many more choose power when time and opportunity is limited because of shore side responsibilities.

Seems to me you have made a well considered decision for your family, with a lovely boat and a horizon that will only grow larger.

Look forward to hearing of your journeys and hope to help if needed
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
member, new member