Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2016, 15:34   #3241
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Why Climate Change Won't Matter in 20 Years

New Flash....
Ice Melts...film at 11...
Old 18-04-2016, 17:29   #3242
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
And doing it in STYLE....she's beautiful!
Muchas gracias amigo,

Seems a shame to not have driven the car more than 300 miles over the past twenty seven years. So... like cruising, if not now.... When?

What am I waiting for?

'Just doing my part to warm up the planet.

Oh wait a minute.... if I add the 400 watts of Solbian solar panels to the Bimini next month as planned, I think that still makes me more carbon neutral according to the GW cultists than 99% of the population?

Maybe it's time to rev up the wife's Ferrari?
Old 18-04-2016, 18:57   #3243

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Seems a shame to not have driven the car more than 300 miles over the past twenty seven years. So... like cruising, if not now.... When?

What am I waiting for?
Good questions Ken! You never want to let a piece of fine Italian machinery go to waste. You certainly seem to have it covered in style -- both on land and at sea.
Old 18-04-2016, 18:57   #3244
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Cleaned up a bit, and out warming up the planet.
Nice ride .
Make it 600 watts and you are carbon neutral
Old 18-04-2016, 19:05   #3245

Boat: Bristol 47.7

In 5 mins., this will help explain the real consensus -- amongst the actual scientists, that is. And for those who bemoan the influence of forces outside the scientific community, it will also help explain who is actually influencing your one-sided positions.

http://youtu.be/OwqIy8Ikv-c
Old 18-04-2016, 20:32   #3246

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
In 5 mins., this will help explain the real consensus -- amongst the actual scientists, that is. And for those who bemoan the influence of forces outside the scientific community, it will also help explain who is actually influencing your one-sided positions.

http://youtu.be/OwqIy8Ikv-c
From the Guardian
Richard Lindzen is one of the approximately 3 percent of climate scientists who believe the human influence on global warming is relatively small (though Lindzen is now retired, no longer doing scientific research). More importantly, he's been wrong about nearly every major climate argument he's made over the past two decades. Lindzen is arguably the climate scientist who's been the wrongest, longest.

Make no mistake about it; Lindzen has made a career of being wrong about climate science. Unfortunately, while the Weekly Standard piece goes through Lindzen's many contrarian climate arguments, it misses the key point that they haven't withstood scientific scrutiny or the test of time:

• Changes in water vapor will dampen global warming (also known as Lindzen's "Iris hypothesis")? Refuted by four peer-reviewed studies within a year of the publication of Lindzen's hypothesis. Measurements show that the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere is increasing as mainstream climate scientists expect, and as a greenhouse gas, is amplifying global warming.
• Climate change over the past century has been "minimal"? In reality, the current rate of global warming is unprecedented over the past 11,000 years.
The 15-year 'pause' myth? Completely debunked – global surface warming over the past decade turns out to be more than double previous estimates, and the climate continues to accumulate heat at a rate equivalent to 4 Hiroshima atomic bomb detonations per second.
The accuracy of climate models during that timeframe? Much better than Lindzen claims.

... and you can google PragerU to determine their place in the political firmament. So - cute video, he reminded me of the teacher in Ferris Buehler's Day Off. Trustworthy? - not so much.

Switching gears - bonus link, relating to transmitterdan's link.
Old 18-04-2016, 20:48   #3247
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
The 15-year 'pause' myth? Completely debunked – global surface warming over the past decade turns out to be more than double previous estimates, and the climate continues to accumulate heat at a rate equivalent to 4 Hiroshima atomic bomb detonations per second. .
Here I thought the Pause was busted due to Noaa adjusting precision weather bouy sea water temperature data upward to correspond to far less precision ship engine room sea water temperature data.

That is the only reason for the "debunking" the pause. Not to mention that the same adjustment in sea water temperatures also made 2015 and now 2016 the hottest on record.

From https://judithcurry.com/2015/06/04/h...lobal-warming/

Doc Curry says "The greatest changes in the new NOAA surface temperature analysis is to the ocean temperatures since 1998. This seems rather ironic, since this is the period where there is the greatest coverage of data with the highest quality of measurements – ARGO buoys and satellites don’t show a warming trend. Nevertheless, the NOAA team finds a substantial increase in the ocean surface temperature anomaly trend since 1998."

Myself, I think back to daily temperatures in the 70's and 80's to today and it feels about the same. Weird.
Old 18-04-2016, 20:57   #3248
cruiser

Yes, and shoreline is still in the same spot and the water at the same height during high tide. All the same as during the 1960's and 70's.

I visited Huntington Beach, Newport Beach and Long Beach, California just last week. Yep, everything still the same.

Yes..... Totally weird.
Old 18-04-2016, 23:09   #3249

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Don't worry everyone. If the predicted la Nina for later this year eventuates the resulting cooling will change the current coral killing climate change back to weather again.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-04-2016, 23:32   #3250

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
That's it...
All of you MMGW Deniers are guilty of Crimes and the DOJ and State Attorney Generals will soon be tracking you down to send you to a re-education camp.

Folks...
When the MMGW Cultists have to silence those that disagree with threats of criminal prosecution, you know the MMGW Cultists are in Trouble.
Quote:
Don't even have to go that far back in History...
Just ask the Tea Party Groups that were targeted by the Obama Administration.
Gee Rich...This must be a great advertising model for your business..
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 19-04-2016, 05:36   #3251

Climate change: Small islands to face a freshwater scarcity | Christian Science Monitor
Quote:
Island populations are likely to face much greater scarcity of freshwater in the coming decades than previously thought, according to new research.

Current global climate models (GCMs) indicate that 50 percent of small islands will become wetter, and 50 percent drier, by the middle of the century, but this new study, published Monday in Nature Climate Change, contends that a more accurate estimate puts 73 percent at risk of increased aridity.

The basis of this substantial discrepancy is that current GCMs tend to have a resolution that is too coarse to consider any islands much smaller than New Zealand's, which means that while they are able to account for rainfall, the effects of evaporation from land remain ignored for small islands.[...]
Old 19-04-2016, 06:01   #3252
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Are you suggesting that a business owner shouldn't have or express a viewpoint differing from the prevailing climate hysteria?
Old 19-04-2016, 07:50   #3253

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

You really considered the way they were expressed as view points. Do you also consider labeling a group of views with "hysteria" as being open minded? I'm just saying...carry on.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 19-04-2016, 08:43   #3254

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
From https://judithcurry.com/2015/06/04/h...lobal-warming/

Doc Curry says "The greatest changes in the new NOAA surface temperature analysis is to the ocean temperatures since 1998. This seems rather ironic, since this is the period where there is the greatest coverage of data with the highest quality of measurements – ARGO buoys and satellites don’t show a warming trend. Nevertheless, the NOAA team finds a substantial increase in the ocean surface temperature anomaly trend since 1998."
Thanks for that link; I certainly agree that with regards to the oceans' capability to moderate the climate, not enough is known. It's something i do want to learn more about.

Quote:
Myself, I think back to daily temperatures in the 70's and 80's to today and it feels about the same. Weird.
Well, it might be more useful to think in terms of canaries and coalmines. So, are any canaries dying yet? Maybe there's a couple that are ailing?

Also from Dr Curry
Certainly the amount of CO2, a greenhouse gas, in the atmosphere is increasing. All else equal that will cause temperatures to increase. Skeptics* argue that it is appropriate to go with our best scientific understandings when there are areas of doubt. As a society that’s a good plan, but that doesn’t mean we should not continue to question our current “best” understandings.
*note that Dr Curry has defined "skeptics" in this context as a group of what she considers formerly open-minded people who have pivoted to attack those who attack the "consensus" around AGW, which is the thesis of that post

The highlighted part is where I sit.

I am genuinely open to finding out as much as possible about the actual science. All we're usually doing here on CF is linking to articles that the other side considers biased. Score: 0-0.

How can we get closer to the actual science? Hole up in a university library for an afternoon to review the relevant journals? Subscribe to Lexis-Nexus?
Old 19-04-2016, 08:53   #3255

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
Are you suggesting that a business owner shouldn't have or express a viewpoint differing from the prevailing climate hysteria?
It's clever marketing: this irascible, uncompromising individual must surely make a good product. Similar to "with a name like Smuckers, you know it has to be good". For the record, I believe that Rich makes fine and dependable products. I won't ever know firsthand; if he thought I was the customer he'd put a handful of metal shavings in, I'm sure.
Closed Thread