Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2009, 15:15   #31

Well, I must say like all that have posted above me. I found Robins book in a corner at my high school library while living on a custom built trawler with my parents. I was never big into reading, but after that book I was hooked on sailing and hooked on reading. I wanted to do everything he did and had been! I have always looked as Robin as a Major role model for me! It has been hampered with non sailors in every aspect of mt life, but I have never forgot Robin and what he gave me. I would love for him to come across this thread and see how many people that he has touched (which I would bet we are only a small amount across the world) or inspired! God Speed to him and his family! Thanks Robin!

Weedy
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 01:36   #32

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post

It's interesting how, every once in a while, people pop up out of nowhere and influence thousands of lives around the world. Joshua Slocum, Harry Pidgeon, and Robin Lee Graham are good examples.
For me it was Tania Aebi and Tom Neale. I read Maiden Voyage as a teenager and that was the life altering point for me. Then I started in on Tom Neale's articles in Cruising World about raising his family living aboard and cruising and... well... there was no turning back. We've been doing the same for 11 years and now with our son and one day when he asks why, I will say it's because of Tania and Tom.

(schoonerdog's wife - Cindy)
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 10:24   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I remember reading Tom Neale’s* "An Island to Oneself" sometime in the late 60's, and thinking that’s what I’d like to do, if I didn’t have a wife & daughter to look after.
An Island To Oneself
An Island To Oneself - Suvarov, Cook Islands by Tom Neale
An Island To Oneself - Suvarov, Cook Islands by Tom Neale

* A different Tom Neale than Cindy cites.

Cindy's Tom Neale writes incredibly insightful boating humour. There’s lots of his stuff available free at ➥ BoatUS.com - Tom Neale's Cruising For You

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 21:58   #34

I first discovered Robin Lee Graham in the pages and the cover of that first National Geographic. I couldn't believe what I was reading. He and I are about the same age. I just got my drivers license and he was setting out to circumnavigate the globe. Several years later I was reading the classifieds in the back of Cruising World Magazine, maybe 1984 or so. There was a tiny add that read: "Will deliver your yacht anywhere in the world contact R.L Graham ..." I figured it must be my hero Robin Lee Graham. I wrote him a short letter asking whatever became of him, telling him how he inspired me in so many ways and how I was surprised at his classified because he said at the end of his book Dove, that he'd never return to sea. He wrote me back a hand written letter thanking me for writing and how he was glad I was so inspired by his voyage. He also sent signed copies of Dove and Home is the Sailor ... telling me I'd find the answers to my questions in the later book. I did. I do wonder if anyone ever contacted him to deliver a boat. He'd be my first choice!
brucecompac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 22:24   #35

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
Robin Lee Graham inspired me do to my own circumnavigation. The National Geographic articles implanted the dream in my mind, and there was no escape.

It's interesting how, every once in a while, people pop up out of nowhere and influence thousands of lives around the world. Joshua Slocum, Harry Pidgeon, and Robin Lee Graham are good examples.

We live in a day of extreme sports and well-financed adventures. The high performance extreme sportsmen of today discourage me rather than inspire me, because most of what they do are stunts (often highly risky). I don't aspire to follow in their footsteps, and I have no desire to emulate what they do.

This age of brinksmanship is at the opposite end of the spectrum from people like Slocum, Pidgeon, and Graham. They went about their business in average boats with minimal resources, and they had an excellent adventure. Most of all, they inspired me because what they were doing wasn't extreme. Their dreams were in the realm of possiblity in my own life.

One of my favorite quotes from singlehanded circumnavigator, Harry Pidgeon is: "I avoided adventure as much as possible. Just the same, any landsman who builds his own vessel and sails alone around the world will certainly meet with some adventures, so I shall offer no apology for my voyage. Those days were the freest and happiest of my life."

Long live those sailors who inspire ordinary people to live their dreams.
This is right on an very eloquent.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 01:20   #36

Smile from Italy

Hallo to everybody,
I am Marco from Italy!

I've just read by chance the story of Robin Lee Graham,
and I am really impressed!

I would be pleased if somebody could send me the scanner files
so that I could read the NG articles!

thank-you in advance,
in the while I'll go tol look for the book!
marcodg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2009, 16:41   #37

Hello, This is Kip from Marina del Rey. I Saw Zack Sunderland return earlier this year and have enjoyed reading Robin's Book "the Dove." I've been reading it to my kids at night (with a few short parts edited out) and would love to read the NG articles too. Could someone send me the scans as well? I would be grateful. You can send to kiphaynes at gmail.com. Thanks!!
guitarkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2010, 15:27   #38

Boat: Downeaster 38 / Beneteau F235
Send a message via Yahoo to audeojude
Funny... I just found this thread in searching for a copy of the move The Dove..

Just thought I would note that There was an interview about the Abby Sutherland story with Robin in this months Sail Magazine.. he was very positive about her experience in contrast to Nielson's comments in the editorial.

I read his book years ago and was very much inspired.. it has been fun finding out some of what happened to him.
audeojude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 11:05   #39

A Msg from Robin.

My name is actually Robin Graham. My dad named me after the sailor My parents spent a lot of time on a sailboat when I was younger. When I was born my parents and my sister were actually living on a 45ft schooner.

I think my dad really wanted me to be a sailor as well, but it didn't turn out that way. When I was 15 or 16 I remember reading the book and just being amazed at the adventure and really wanting something like that in my life. I still remember being curled up in my bunk on my Dad's boat reading the book and just really feeling like I was there.

So if anyone here goes to robingraham.com expecting the sailor, sorry!
robingraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 05:27   #40

Oooooooooooh blast from the past!

As a pre-teen, I was permitted to read only Home is the Sailor ... because RLG's first book was from his time "as an unbeliever" and he'd repented of all that.

Funny, any time I imagine I've sifted through the refuse and found freedom from J@sus, more baggage is revealed ...

Will keep an eye out for Dove or maybe even make an effort to find it. Sounds like ideal reading for me these days.
aegean adrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2010, 06:05   #41

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran
Last I heard... (a few years back), he lives in the Pacific Northwest, has become quite religious, and is now into flying airplanes. I to was quite inspired by his book, so many years ago... Mark
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 13:44   #42

I loved reading about Robin's adventures and just found a National Geographic School Bulletin dated January 26, 1970 that told of his adventure. The article was written while Robin was on his way to the Galapagos Islands. The ending mentioned that "one day he will arrive in Oahu and he will be able to look back over tens of thousands of miles and many oceans, and recall adventure-packed years." As a 15 year-old, I was smitten and thrilled that a "kid" was doing this alone. Now it seems like kids are trying it every few years.
Littlelanilulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 14:47   #43

Boat: looking
Like so many of you, I read his first book. Not to spark controversy, but I've always preferred it to Slocum's. Last night, while reading through the newer posts on this site, I came a cross a link which led me to search for information on Webb Chiles self-portrait in the present sea Webb Chiles
For those who have not read his books, you can do so online, at this site. I was up until 0430 this morning, reading. As a result, I think I'm supposed to sleep on the couch tonight, so I should have lots of time to read more! lol
Chiles has a fantastic sense of humour and, thus far, I'm finding that I enjoy him as a writer as much as I appreciate Lee(Robin).

I'd like to suggest that this site add a tab to the menu at the top of the page that links to a list of books written by members of these forums. Perhaps, it could give an outline of each book & author and info. on where each book could be purchased. Alternatively, maybe the site should have it's own book store?
Mike

P.S.: I'm an idiot, just looked at the "links" page - for the first time - and saw a link to personal blogs/sites. Still, a book store might be worth consideration.
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 13:00   #44

Boat: Pearson 367 Cutter
Re: Whatever Happened to Robin Lee Graham ?

Starman, If you see this, I was an enlisted man (Sgt.) in Vietnam and went to Australia
on R&R twice. Someone gave you bad info.
hooligan6a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2011, 23:02   #45

Boat: Seawind 1160
Re: Whatever Happened to Robin Lee Graham ?

'Dove' screened today (Sunday) on free-to-air channel GEM in Melbourne.

I only just read this thread last night, so was a big coincidence to see the flick the next day.
DevoDave is offline   Reply With Quote