Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2008, 12:17   #31

Boat: PETERSON 44
the sinking of a couple in the mid pacific a few years ago (they survived after a long time in a life raft - there's a book about it....)

Book maybe survive the savage sea author was Robertson. I remember it as an amazing story not so much that something sunk the boat but they survived.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 12:58   #32
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
the sinking of a couple in the mid pacific a few years ago .
Like, that was about 30 years ago wasn't it?
I can't see that getting sunk by a whale would be too common. Hit by one would be more common, but would that severly damage a boat?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 15:19   #33

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by theonecalledtom View Post
Not that this keeps me awake at night but there are several reports of attacks by pilot whales, including the sinking of a couple in the mid pacific a few years ago (they survived after a long time in a life raft - there's a book about it....)

I heard that pouring something nasty in the water, like diesel, can make them back off as the film gets into their blow holes. Seems like a last resort but definately better than emptying your entire tank in the water by virtue of sinkage.
I hate to point out how we have skipped off to land of the urban myths when there at least four or five anecdotes of how whales viciously attacked a sailboat (traveling in though whale pod) for crimes committed by whalers.

Seriously though, this is my list of concerns. Ah yes, number 783 ...
782. Abduction by alien spacecraft; anal probe implanted. (everything I needed to know I learned from South Park)
783. Whale strikes damages boat, simultaneously proving diesel slick not effective whale repellant.
784. Atlantis rises from ocean floor, grounding boat in process.
I think Shakespeare said it best: Fear drunk boaters and giant squid.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 16:39   #34

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I can't see that getting sunk by a whale would be too common. Hit by one would be more common, but would that severly damage a boat?

Only if it is a Bene............
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 16:40   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

I think it would be more accurate to say whale hit by boat, rather than boat hit by whale. It does happen, often with powerboats, and usually the whale suffers more damage than the boat.

A fast boat could suffer some real damage though. Some Sydney-Hobart boats have copped damage from hitting sunfish too. No reports as to whether they were deliberate attacks though.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 16:42   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
I hate to point out how we have skipped off to land of the urban myths when there at least four or five anecdotes of how whales viciously attacked a sailboat (traveling in though whale pod) for crimes committed by whalers.

Seriously though, this is my list of concerns. Ah yes, number 783 ...
782. Abduction by alien spacecraft; anal probe implanted. (everything I needed to know I learned from South Park)
783. Whale strikes damages boat, simultaneously proving diesel slick not effective whale repellant.
784. Atlantis rises from ocean floor, grounding boat in process.
As long as you know the warning signs for 782..
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 16:53   #37
cruiser

I sail in a steel hull so have no worries about whales. The one who attacked boats in BC finally atttacked a tug boat prop and became fillets. No problem since.
To motivate takes a carrot and stick. One without the other will accomplish nothing.
Martin Luther King , the carrot, needed Stokely Carmichael the stick , or he would have been ignored. He gave them the option of saying they are responding to King, not Carmichael, and thus save face. Peacefull protestors are the carrot, Sea Shepherd the stick . Both are interdependent, in order to be taked seriously.
Brent
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 18:50   #38

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
Fear drunk boaters. Aye.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 19:09   #39

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
It's a little bit silly to assume as the whale gets ready to split you open you will know it for what it is
I skim read the Robertson's account and it seemed that in their case they did have some time from when the Whales behavior became obviously aggresive and the final damage being done. Of course the whole situation (in their case at night) is going to be completely surreal and you're going to be pretty discombobulated.

Can't remember where I read about pouring nasty stuff in the sea. Obviously not road tested and not really condoned and I don't see it stopping Moby's granddaughter/son.

Anyway - time to return to stressing about more likely dangers, like crossing the road, getting on a plane, driving on the freeway...
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 19:59   #40

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
whales

I thought one was chasing after me but I believe "he" was looking at my two good looking black hulls!! "He" gave up after a short while of trying to catch us at 10kts. Prob. "he" was good for about 6kts max & not for long!! But "he" was going hard.

(Hump Backs)

Regards Bill Goodward
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 23:27   #41

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
"On the other hand I do believe the old “Greenpeace” organization has become too careful and too fat and has settled into a mainstream politics that cares more about raising money than their original charter of saving endangered species; the whales were among their first".

Hence the Sea Sheppard. The Captain thought that also. At least they are standing up for what they feel is right.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2008, 23:55   #42

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
I thought one was chasing after me but I believe "he" was looking at my two good looking black hulls!! "He" gave up after a short while of trying to catch us at 10kts. Prob. "he" was good for about 6kts max & not for long!! But "he" was going hard.

(Hump Backs)

Regards Bill Goodward
I've been on a power yacht that could not catch a hump back and we were doing close to 20 knots. So you can rest assured if the one chasing you really wanted to play with you - it could have.
JOHN
Old 24-12-2008, 00:22   #43

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
whales

Swagman,
Dam-Now i have to come up with a new story to keep the first mate happy. I told her we could out pace them!! That one must have had a busy day!!
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 05:17   #44

Boat: 1984 Pacific Seacraft Crealock 34
Amazingly enough, I've not ever seen a whale while underway. Thus I don't have the experience of such an encounter to report. We're approaching the Right Whale migration season in the north Atlantic, so maybe this year will be my year.

As to the television show "Whale Wars" and the actions of Sea Shepherd and the "Steve Irwin" and her crew, I have watched the series from beginning to end. With due consideration to the fact that we are seeing only what the program producers, editors, and programming directors at Animal Planet want us to see, and the statement that I am not a maritime attorney, I will add following to the discussion:

1. If whales are being hunted/harvested in international waters, in violation of international treaties/quotas, isn't it up to the signing countries party to those treaties/quotas to enforce them and hold any violators, Japanese or otherwise, accountable for those violations?

2. The actions of the "Steve Irwin" crew in boarding the Japanese vessel are indeed an act of piracy, regadless of what any "letter" carried by the boarding party represents or intends. How could it be otherwise? Additionally, "Steve Irwin" routinely moves dangerously close to the whaling vessels, creating risks of collision and other hazardous situations. Such actions are at minimum an act of aggression; actual boarding seems to me to be an outright act of piracy. The show has confirmed that the crew of "Steve Iriwn" carry no arrest or enforcement powers, and that Sea Shepherd does not operate under the sanction of any legal and recognized government in the international community. As such, I am confident they can not legally board or harrass any vessel in any waters without permission of the captain or owners of that vessel without breaking international law. The fact the crew was not charged and prosecuted does not mean laws were not broken as the crew seems to believe - and the Japanese crews are fully entitled to defend their vessels against aggressive actions by another vessel, just as any of us would be.

3. As far as the "Steve Irwin" herself goes, that's another story entirely. Watching the repeated failings of the so-called "chain of command", the wanderings of crew on and off the bridge (not associated with watch keeping), drunken parties, and so on, it's safe to say I would not ever sail under the command of that captain and his officers.

4. Greenpeace has confirmed in several interviews and press releases that the actions of Sea Shepherd and the crew of "Steve Irwin" have been very damaging to progress made against whaling, legal and illegal, not only by Greenpeace, but other environmental groups and agencies.

I want to be clear that I don't support illegal actions by any party. If the Japanese are whaling in accordance with agreements in place, and are keeping strict adherence to quotas, etc., then it seems to me that whether we agree or not, they are within their rights. If they are in violation of said agreements and quotas, then prosecute them and hold them accountable accordingly in a court of law or by other legally recognized processes. For me, the show "Whale Wars" has discredited Sea Shepherd as a responsible environmental organization.

Just my .02!
svjobeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2008, 06:49   #45

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
At sea, the ends don't justify the means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
"
Hence the Sea Sheppard. The Captain thought that also. At least they are standing up for what they feel is right.
So were the guys flying the planes on 9/11. The Sea Shepard's acts approach piracy.

I deplore whaling, but unlawful, unsafe and unseamanlike behavior on the part of folks protesting does not bring about the end of this practice.

Jim
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote