Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2016, 11:25   #1

Boat: Comet 41s
UK, EU and repercussions on cruising

Please stay out of party policies and comment on general policies that will have an impact on cruising.

Starting by replying to this:

----SNIP----

Polux:

In line with your own words, and in line with CF policy.. we have removed your political viewpoint... Please stick to sailing..

Regarding sailing, well, it is good to sail all around Europe with only a Identity card and to be able to own a boat with a flag of any EU country (most EU countries) and to live and work where one chooses to do so and that includes the Europeans that live on a boat.

For citizens outside of EU, well, there will be EU, with unified permanence rules and possibly in the future with unified legislation regarding boating and cruising and there will be UK. More of an hassle but not much since most cruisers don't chose UK for cruising. Certainly more of an hassle to British that what to cruise outside UK that will have to comply with EU rules on boating.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 11:56   #2

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: UK, EU and repercussions on cruising

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Curiously I think that the bad economic turn that all Economists predict to UK (including British ones) and that had already started, will have a positive effect on the trust on the EU, showing that countries will be a lot worse out of it than in it.
On Friday the London Stock Exchange dropped 3.15%. But Frankfurt dropped 6.82%, and Paris 8.04%. Portugal dropped 6.99% and Spain and Italy both dropped more than 12%.
It's clear that the markets think this will hurt the economy. But they seem to think that it will hurt the economy of the continent, and especially the southern countries a lot more.

How will this affect cruisers?

I think that yachts from the continent will continue to be welcome in the UK without much of a fuss, as it has always been.
I expect the Euro to unravel, with the either the northern or the southern countries going to their own currency. Then very good deals on used yachts might be had in the med...
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 13:40   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

UK was not in Shengen Visa agreement anyway, so it won't affect international cruisers as far as I can see.

Sent from a stupid phone that replaces words with weird stuff.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2016, 16:28   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

UK flagged boats in the Med become non-EU flagged and so must leave and re-enter to avoid trouble, just like any other non-EU flagged vessel would.

I think this implies good news for Med charter business. Fewer UK boats, more UK clients on charter boats.

Also, bad for all Med marinas that will lose some of their UK clients of which there are very many.

Another factor: UK flagged boats will now have to pay 'the bond' in French Polynesia. Bummer for all UK boats circumnavigating, I think.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 00:45   #5

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
UK flagged boats in the Med become non-EU flagged and so must leave and re-enter to avoid trouble, just like any other non-EU flagged vessel would.
There are quite a few non-EU flagged boats that stay in the Med pretty much indefinitely without any trouble (and without breaking any laws...).

At the moment nothing has changed. The UK has even't formally resigned from the EU yet. That will happen at the earliest after a new UK government is formed in Fall (possible with general elections first).

Or this might not even happen...

My money is currently on the UK actually staying in the UK.
Old 26-06-2016, 00:58   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The phrase..." Too big to Fail" comes to mind.

There will be lots of opportunistic posturing by some, but in the end I believe (and hope) this will have a cleansing/cathartic effect on the various administrations.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 01:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
The phrase..." Too big to Fail" comes to mind.

There will be lots of opportunistic posturing by some, but in the end I believe (and hope) this will have a cleansing/cathartic effect on the various administrations.
currently the silence is deafening in the UK from the government and opposition,who neither had an exit policy,as both parties had elected to remain in the EU.

those that postured to leave are also silent,as it is my guess that they also don't have a clue what to do next!

clusterf---k is what comes to mind!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 02:24   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
those that postured to leave are also silent,as it is my guess that they also don't have a clue what to do next!
Quite a few people that voted leave didn't expect leave to win, and voted leave just because they wanted to say "flog off" to the establishment.

I think if you would repeat the referendum that now remain would win by a landslide.

And the backtracking already begins. For example, people are already discovering that Farage himself said in May that if the margin was thin the referendum would have to be repeated...

Nigel Farage's EU Referendum '52-48 Result' Comment Comes Back To Haunt Him
Old 26-06-2016, 03:20   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I spent the early morning at a marina here in Palma talking with friends and colleagues and some local officials.

Today in Mallorca everyone is running to the ballot box for their own Spanish elections. Depending on the outcome of that, will be a viewpoint that affects boating.

Over coffee, it was agreed that some changes in UK boat status would be on the cards, but it was hoped that an independent agreement could be reached so the changes would be minimal. However, governments being governments, they would try and get some financial leverage out of the situation or some exchange that benefited.

I dont know. There is a rush on the part of some Europeans to finish the process quickly and remove GB and yet in GB, there appears to be no strategy in place to implement the decision. The PM has resigned and will leave to the next PM to deal with it.

I would like to think that I could sail my vessel in Spanish waters with minimum of problems or restrictions in the future.

When the political deal is done, they will tell me...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 03:36   #10

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Aah, weavis, me lad,

Thee remembers the old Chinese curse, "may you live in interesting times." Best of luck with it all, can't be fun.

Ann
Old 26-06-2016, 06:23   #11

As I said in another thread, UK boats with a current Vat paid should be able to retain their EU vat paid status after the UK leaves, after all they allow foreign flagged boats to be vat paid to remove the 18 month limit.

It should not be too had for some CA or RYA financed lawyers to get this sorted in an EU court.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-06-2016, 07:18   #12
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

No worries. Things will work out.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 07:28   #13

https://youtu.be/37iHSwA1SwE

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-06-2016, 08:08   #14

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post

(...)

My money is currently on the UK actually staying in the UK.
;-)

Love,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 08:08   #15

Boat: Westerly Sealord

If, as a British citizen, you feel that having the UK out of the EU will adversely affect you as a cruiser, eg the French Polynesian bond issue, then you can sign this petition
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Given that the Brexit people haven't a clue on what to do next, and that Farage went public with this Nigel Farage's EU Referendum '52-48 Result' Comment Comes Back To Haunt Him just last month, I just did.

Ping,
Concerned British Citizen

Tags
cruising