Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2011, 22:39   #91

Re: The Top 10 Dead Horses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
how much do you want for the M26X?
I am buying, not selling. It should be a great offshore motorsailer.
Old 14-07-2011, 00:35   #92
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danibug
Thats a great idea! a FAQ with Multiple answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Or multiple questions with the same answer.

For example

Q: I know nothing about sailing. Should I take sailing lessons?

A: Yes, of course.

Q: I know nothing about sailing, but I have a great deal on a M26X. Should I go offshore.

A: Yes, of course.
Or perhaps Max when we really mature .....Alzheimer's will ride in on one of those FAQ dead ponies
Old 14-07-2011, 04:13   #93
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
I am trying to think of other communities I have participated in where personal opinion and experience would lead to such strong positions and to be honest I can't think of one.
One of my other regular Forums has a religous aspect - the great schism was over which was best..............Bacon or Cheese. It remains unsettled (FWIW I am in the Bacon camp ).
Old 14-07-2011, 04:20   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4arch View Post
This type of question is getting to be a dead horse for me:

"I found this 197x [insert model] for sale. She sank at her mooring and stayed that way buried in muck for three years until the owner raised her and hauled her up on the hard a decade ago. She has sat there ever since with rainwater pouring in through the broken hatches, missing ports, and leaky teak decks. Her hull is severely blistered and all her thru-hulls have original gate valves. All the winches, rigging, rails, electronics, engine, and lead keel have been stripped. She's on the opposite coast from me so would have to be trucked 3,000 miles to my location. I figure I can refit for about [insert ridiculously low amount] to make her ready to circumnavigate. The owner wants [insert extortionately high price] and won't budge...is this a good deal?"
Funny, because it's true.
Old 14-07-2011, 05:24   #95

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

SSB vrs Sat Phones is not a top 10 but I think it's up there.
Old 14-07-2011, 05:35   #96
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Perhaps we should use this thread to create a CF FAQ. I will volunteer to write up one or two FAQ entries if others are interested in taking others and moderators are willing to post.

It seems like we should have a FAQ. If nothing else it will help distill the knowledge on the forums for people who come asking FAQ type questions. Currently they do not really get good answers often, which is a shame since so much great info is here.
I suggested this about three years ago, but it was roundly rejected by moderators.
Old 14-07-2011, 05:48   #97

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
SSB vrs Sat Phones is not a top 10 but I think it's up there.
While it can be heated, unlike the other dead horses this topic does probably need to be revisited on a yearly or semiyearly basis to update folks who are interested in the latest technology as it is changing.

I would submit that many of the other topics are more "religion" then anything and a good FAQ that is located up near the top of the portal page would guide people who want to read about these things and confine the discussion to those threads instead of scattering the comments all over the forum.

When they come up with a new sailboat design, new anchor or novel weapon that is allowed in most countries we can revisit whether it is better or worse then the others but short of that I think most of us have said or read enough about the monohull/multihull/anchor/gun debate and can always read about it in the FAQ's if we get bored.

I vote for consolidating any thread started on these topics into a FAQ and having a prominent link on the first page to those 10-15 items deemed as beaten to death.

Jim
Old 14-07-2011, 05:53   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkleins View Post
While it can be heated, unlike the other dead horses this topic does probably need to be revisited on a yearly or semiyearly basis to update folks who are interested in the latest technology as it is changing.

I would submit that many of the other topics are more "religion" then anything and a good FAQ ...
Who is going to write/approve our holy FAQ?

Old 14-07-2011, 06:06   #99

Boat: Nordhavn 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
No writing or proofing needed. Just combine all the posts so they are seen together so anyone who looks at the FAQ for "Anchor Choices" sees a list of all the threads and can peruse at their leisure. I know it can be done with the search feature but it is just more likely that folks would click on a title that is close to what they want then to put it into search terms.

When a new topic comes up about any of the FAQ's the moderator just moves it into the last topic on the subject and it just goes on from there hopefully with more people reading then commenting.

Jim
Old 14-07-2011, 06:12   #100
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I suggested this about three years ago, but it was roundly rejected by moderators.
I do think the Dead Horse threads could all in in one Forum. They would be easier to find.

Some good information is deeeeeeep inside some of the threads.

Then as soon as someone starts a Dead Horse thread the Mods could move it to the DH forum. Similar when a newer member starts one up we could slide it into the DH forum and happily answer him or point to the 10,000 threads immediately below.

I could even be moderated by a special DH Mod who could go through the older threads deleting the irrelevant posts.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 14-07-2011, 06:23   #101

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

I nominate, for stall #13, This thread.
Old 14-07-2011, 06:44   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I do think the Dead Horse threads could all in in one Forum. They would be easier to find.

Some good information is deeeeeeep inside some of the threads.

Then as soon as someone starts a Dead Horse thread the Mods could move it to the DH forum. Similar when a newer member starts one up we could slide it into the DH forum and happily answer him or point to the 10,000 threads immediately below.

I could even be moderated by a special DH Mod who could go through the older threads deleting the irrelevant posts.
This is actually a pretty cool idea.
Old 14-07-2011, 06:53   #103
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Perhaps we should use this thread to create a CF FAQ. I will volunteer to write up one or two FAQ entries if others are interested in taking others and moderators are willing to post.

It seems like we should have a FAQ. If nothing else it will help distill the knowledge on the forums for people who come asking FAQ type questions. Currently they do not really get good answers often, which is a shame since so much great info is here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Uh huh. We could simply make a FAQ page. And then we wouldn't need a forum, either! One of the benefits of having a forum is that we get to talk to each other, and find current opinions as well as the most recent facts.

We do have a search engine, plus a google custom search yields ten pages of hits, ranging from 2005 till now. If people don't receive the answers they want to hear on new threads, then they can trawl (not troll) through older threads. Sometimes older threads are dated, sometimes they are worth reinstating.

My husband asked me to ask about Coppercoat. Instead of asking, I did a search, and we found what we need to know here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...g-56701-5.html. So I didn't ask the question. But, I did ask if anyone had more recent experience to add to the thread.

Obviously, if anyone can think of new topics that haven't yet been discussed, I am sure they would be warmly welcomed.
Old 14-07-2011, 06:53   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
To be correctly done we must have a team of people to represent all points of view. I think we should get Gord, Zee, and SaltyMonkey on a team to do the work.

Old 14-07-2011, 07:32   #105
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Target9000 View Post
To be correctly done we must have a team of people to represent all points of view. I think we should get Gord, Zee, and SaltyMonkey on a team to do the work.
Thanks, but no thanks.
Gord has retired from Forum Administration, that he is no longer obligated to work "on demand"; but, instead, participates (or not) at his own pleasure. Accordingly, he’s not available for any assigned duties.

Closed Thread