Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 07:14   #1
cruiser

Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff

I just got back from the dentist office where I had my six month cleaning... Just a cleaning that took 40 minutes.

$270 !!! Probably because we have excellent dental insurance. In Spain and Italy, I think the same procedure would only cost maybe... 35-45 euros.

Since I returned from the Med two weeks ago and rejoined the treadmill life in America amongst the pajama people, I once again can't help but notice how ridiculous the prices are that we pay for everyday, necessary stuff. Back on the boat, I get by on just 10 euros a day for everything! Two hundred gallons of diesel lasts us over two months on the boat; here.... I go through more gasoline that that... just driving back and forth to work.... to make money... to buy gas, heat, food, pay taxes, pay for insurance and car repairs.

And my wife thinks we can't afford to retire? How can we afford to keep working?

I just needed to vent.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:01   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff

I feel your pain. 😩. Just don't get ME started

Rich

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:03   #3

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Maybe your dental hygienist is trying to save up enough money to buy an Oyster 53?
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete33458 View Post
Maybe your dental hygienist is trying to save up enough money to buy an Oyster 53?
More likely her boss saving to go shoot Lions or Rhinos in Africa!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:15   #5

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

That's it, the entire country has is caught up in Oyster mania. Just like when cab drivers are giving stock tips, when your dental hygiene person is planning on getting an Oyster 53 trouble is right around the corner. :-(
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:18   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Yeah you didn't get any bite wing X-rays or a Panarex for only $270 though.
I go to a family friend that my Father helped him get his practice going, even then a mouth guard to help stop me from grinding my teeth was at least a grand, I used to make them myself as a kid, you take an impression, pour the impression with stone and trim the model and put the model on a little vacuum machine that heated the plastic, then you slapped the plastic down on the model and turned on the vacuum to suck it to the model.
Couple of bucks materials and maybe an hours labor, for a grand and that being the "family and friends" price? Truly if I had know I was going to be charged I would have said no thanks.

But back to the topic, I have run the "numbers" ad naueseum (sp?)
and I cannot see that us continuing to work is doing us any good at all, it's almost all eaten up by the "system" of buying automobiles, clothes, insurance, etc. etc. required to work.
As soon as I can get our youngest in College, I'm gone, and truthfully I may not make it that long, but until then I have to maintain a house and all that goes with it here in this town so she can go to her Senior year in the same school
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:26   #7

Tell me about it... gas in the US is $0.73 per ltr in the UK it's $1.73 per ltr... I drive a V8 Range Rover that does 13mpg and I did 15,000 miles last year!!! We have noticed that items in the US are usually much less in $ than they are here in £ so with 1 1/2 $ to the £ everything is just so much more here....

I'll get my teeth sorted before we come though... $270 does seem rather steep....
Old 04-11-2015, 08:28   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Someone can't see me for under 500.00. And that is aprox. one third what the hospital charges. I think it is ridiculous. I would do it for free, and in Wyoming we did it for barter.
Just saving my clams to retirement. 3 years now.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:33   #9

Big profit over peoples health is always a dubious ethic. Why not charge for Firemen? Charge for Police protection too!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:46   #10

Boat: Rafiki 37

I agree Ken. It costs a lot of money to work, and to simply exist over here in our high-priced North American economy. Getting off the wage-slave tread mill removes a large amount of embedded expenses: houses, cars, insurance, taxes, clothes, transportation, entertainment... all these things can be eliminated or reduced significantly once you step away from the tread mill.

People say they can't afford to stop working. I look at all the associated costs, and say I can't afford TO work.
Old 04-11-2015, 08:54   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
More likely her boss saving to go shoot Lions or Rhinos in Africa!
I'm sure kens dentist is the safari type.
Old 04-11-2015, 09:11   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I'm sure kens dentist is the safari type.
He's a charter guy, told me about his one week summer charter aboard a 43ft mono with two other couples. Sounds cozy.

His office staff seems to consist of just as many people dealing with insurance as hygienists cleaning teeth. Everyone there seems to be on the same American treadmill as us.

I looked at the bill again, it did include an annual wing bite X-ray... whatever that is, along with some smile photos... in case I get into an accident and they need to rebuild my face.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	385
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	112216  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:29   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Europe is not cheap. Some places in Europe are cheaper than other places in Europe but in general, overall its on a parallel to the USA.

I had one filling and an extraction in Florida 4 years ago and it was $600. 16 minutes tops.

I just paid $40 for descaling here in South England.

I believe Dockhead will be paying close to or over $30K a year for his mooring in the Hamble area.
An average 'cheap' starter home here is from $400K
Rents for a 3 bedroom houses start at $1K a month.
Food is expensive.
Riding the bus here is double what it costs in Wales.
Alcohol is expensive.
Rates (taxes) on houses is expensive.
Gasoline is unbelievable.

I need $38K just to cover my basic costs per year, house, car, food, utilities etc AND I will pay tax on that figure. Stick a boat in the mix and then add more thousands to the yearly cost.

Remember that I am single. The cost will rise for two about 50%

Many people dont earn that much and have to share.

Its not cheap most places.

For the record, my medical insurance in the States for PRACTICE in California including malpractice made me stop doing certain procedures and tests.

My dentist here says it costs him $560 an hour per chair to operate, and that is before profit.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:14   #14

Boat: Leopard 40

To be accurate though, if your good insurance is like my good insurance, they negotiated that bill by 50% and since it is preventative, it cost $0 out of pocket.
But any major dental work will cost and there is something like a $1500 cap on all dental benefits.

It's benefit/health insurance sign-up season and it's nearly as confusing as tax season.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:57   #15

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Talking with the bartender in Norway 4 years ago. He claimed to be making $130,000 per year. The reason I believe him was that a beer was $13.00. And, it was not a high end high volume pub.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price