Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2015, 20:11   #391

Boat: 55' sloop.
Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
1. Our true economy is not dependent on our own defense because it is tax dollars that fund our own defense. And yes, anything we manufacture, export, and sell outside the US would contribute to our economy.

2. Blame for the world's conflicts...it was interesting that on our two year sail on the Atlantic circle tour there were several Europeans that made a special point to thank us for getting involved in various global conflicts. To paraphrase, we know the US gets bashed for being a cop and they are thankless efforts but we are so thankful for what you do because someone has to get involved to keep the world from falling apart.

As far as blame for conflicts by selling arms. Don't see the direct correlation but if there is one I suppose machete manufacturers should share some of that blame.

Nice troll comment!!
The invasion of Iraq doesn't deserve thanks, but condemnation and I know of precious few Europeans who would thank the US for that. This applies to the UK too of course, but VERY FEW people in the UK supported the invasion, and I was part of a protest of more than 2 million people, that is 4 percent of the entire population, in London against it, and Blair cannot show his face in public. He is a figure of absolute hate and has been subjected to many attempts at citizens arrest.

The US/UK led invasion of Iraq is largely responsible for the rise of ISIS/DAESH, and as far as not seeing a correlation between arms sales and conflicts, really? By the way, DEASH is very grateful for all its humvees, Abrams, TOW missiles, M16s and many thousands of tons of other light, medium and heavy weapons and munitions.

And all that was supposed to prevent weapons falling into the "wrong hands" eh?
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 20:16   #392
cruiser

Ok, let's try to get the discussion somewhat back on track, or at least away from politics.

One last deer hunting day, still no venison in the fridge. I looked up a place to buy it yesterday for $8 a pound.

Purchased a new Vepr 308 for next season last week.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 20:30   #393

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds

Vepr 308, nice rifle.

Haven't been to a doctor since my exit physical from the military 30 years ago.

In those years I've had:
- several cuts that could have been stitched, didn't go.

- a nail stuck completely through my foot that cracked a bone when I picked the foot and board up and slapped it out of my foot, ouch, didn't go.

- had food poisoning, didn't go.

- popped something in my lower back doing Katrina clean-up, still hurts sometimes, didn't go.

- did some hay bale acrobatics while racing flattack bikes. Entire port side upper body dark blue and black. Crushed my shoulder, cracked two ribs and collar bone (I think), didn't go. After healing had a nerve pinching in my shoulder. It hurt. Thought I would have to go. Then my uncle's mean ass stud horse jerked me off the ground by that arm while holding the reins. Fixed the nerve issue instantly. Guess he was a horse doctor. lol.

I had insurance for all these, but ain't going to a doctor unless I'm dying.... and out cold,...if somebody takes me.

Doctor's scare me. They kill about 400 people each day making mistakes in the U S.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:17   #394
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post

Haven't been to a doctor since my exit physical from the military 30 years ago.

I had insurance for all these, but ain't going to a doctor unless I'm dying.... and out cold,...if somebody takes me.
that's just foolish and nothing to be proud of
Old 10-12-2015, 04:41   #395
cruiser

Sailorboy,

Is this the year you and Mrs Sailorboy head down to the Caribbean? When do you pack up and sail away?

Ken
Old 10-12-2015, 14:37   #396
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sailorboy,

Is this the year you and Mrs Sailorboy head down to the Caribbean? When do you pack up and sail away?

Ken
Current plan is to give work notice next month for end date of May/June. Sell everything and move onto the boat. Sail up to Nova Scotia for a while during the Summer, then sometime in Sept to start heading South.

That's as much as much planning as I feel is needed till June 2017.
Old 10-12-2015, 17:11   #397
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Current plan is to give work notice next month for end date of May/June. Sell everything and move onto the boat. Sail up to Nova Scotia for a while during the Summer, then sometime in Sept to start heading South.

Awesome! Please stay in touch and let me know if you need some local help with planning, systems or provisioning. It'll be an exciting year for the two of you. I'm in Massachusetts until early April.
Old 10-12-2015, 23:29   #398

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:

Hej Don

We're weighing anchor in May and will be in the carribean next chirstmas. Keep in touch and we'll see who can make the best martini...................

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 05:20   #399
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Awesome! Please stay in touch and let me know if you need some local help with planning, systems or provisioning.
You have to be joking
Old 13-12-2015, 05:37   #400
cruiser

Quote:
You have to be joking
No...I wasn't joking.

Tags
price