Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 11:14   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Stupid, Ridiculous Prices for Stuff

I know a guy owns a sailing school as a retirement business in Chicago. They have like 15 boats, must cost him a fortune to run the place. I'm sure there is some profit, but a lot of "wheel spinning"

I was talking with him and he asked what I was doing. I'm 37 and people really don't understand when I say I'm mostly retired. They all assume I was in software or dot.com or whatnot. Nope, just working on boats, living cheap, some real estate investing.

My wife even has gone back to work part time after 8 years, really got it made now.

It would cost me a fortune to go "back to work" and I figure with most folks under 50 having like almost no retirement savings. Something's gotta give somewhere.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:22   #17
Marine Service Provider

There are probably plenty of bar tenders making 100K plus in many cities in the U.S.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:23   #18
Marine Service Provider

I got on this thread cause I thought it was someone selling a bunch of boat stuff real cheap....
Old 04-11-2015, 11:38   #19

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
There are probably plenty of bar tenders making 100K plus in many cities in the U.S.
You may be right but a newly minted mechanical engineer can be had for between 60 and 70K.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:05   #20

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

"If you're not making money, you're spending money." I don't know who coined that phrase, but it sure is true. As soon as you don't have to go to work, you can get all those things & jobs done that needed doing before, all of which cost money.

Having said that, you certainly do eliminate a lot of expenses by not working. Travel to/from work, business attire, lunches &/or coffees, parking, etc., etc.

The only safe place is at sea. You've got to cast off!
Well, as long as you don't go shopping on the web...
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 15:59   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Two hundred gallons of diesel lasts us over two months on the boat
And you are the one claiming catamarans just motor all the time? We don't go through 200 gal of diesel in a year, and we are at it 365 days (and have two engines and a generator).

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 16:05   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
And you are the one claiming catamarans just motor all the time? We don't go through 200 gal of diesel in a year, and we are at it 365 days (and have two engines and a generator).

Mark
Most of the diesel is used by the generator, the rest is used to motor on calm days at 6 knots. Just as soon as the wind picks up to 6 knots... the sails go up.

On our last diesel fill up, we had actually gone 60 days using only 150 gallons and covered nearly 1000 miles including three days of Force 7 to force 9 weather. We sail as much as possible. The boat only uses about 1 gallon per hour, less when motor sailing.

FYI: The cost for diesel in Italy is currently $8 USD per gallon after currency exchange. We use as little as possible, but as you've posted elsewhere... sometimes the wind isn't blowing.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 16:43   #23

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

150 gallons is good for 900 miles of full motoring at your fuel usage and assuming 6kts.

So you mostly motor all the time? Or does having a sail up while motoring count as sailing?

Or is it all used up running AC on the hook 24/7?

Just trying to determine where you have it over all the catamarans...

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 16:56   #24
Marine Service Provider

I think it is time for different debate rules. Time to hide from reality and attack the media!
Old 04-11-2015, 17:25   #25
cruiser

Back on topic....

We live on the hook 6 months of the year in the Med for roughly 10 euros per day plus the cost of diesel. At home here in Whoville, MA USA, I'm finding the prices of many everyday services to be ridiculous relative to the necessity/enjoyment factor, such as $270 for a dental cleaning performed by a hygienist.

Seems like much of the money we make ends up going directly to the cost of going to and from work, auto insurance, health insurance, auto repairs etc. .. Costs which we don't have whilst cruising.

Maybe it's time to retire?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 00:13   #26

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

The biggest problem with just opting-out and leaving is what happens when retirement age (65+) comes around.

Years ago I was telling people here in Denmark that when we reached retirement age there would be no (or little) social security for us (Denmark as some of you may know calims to be a cradle to grave social state).

Everyone laughed and said I was nuts. Well it is now 35 years later and guess what - Danish social security is paying out leas and less each year and I would hate to have to exist on what I could get.

The problem is worse in other countries.

So what do you do to insure your old age if you jump off the merry-go-round at a young age?

I don't have an answer and I agree that going to work, paying taxes and expenses associated with living on land means you don't have much left out of your paycheck.

Just for information - Danish personal tax is 56% (highest rate kicks in at about $60k) + 8% flat tax of all income. Add to that realestate tax and 25% VAT and uncounted duties, single point taxes on many goods and you can see the reality here in Denmark.

Of course we do have "free" medical care and "free" universties where our students get paid a salary to study

I could keep ranting but I'm getting depressed

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 00:57   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
The biggest problem with just opting-out and leaving is what happens when retirement age (65+) comes around.

Years ago I was telling people here in Denmark that when we reached retirement age there would be no (or little) social security for us (Denmark as some of you may know calims to be a cradle to grave social state).

Everyone laughed and said I was nuts. Well it is now 35 years later and guess what - Danish social security is paying out leas and less each year and I would hate to have to exist on what I could get.

The problem is worse in other countries.

So what do you do to insure your old age if you jump off the merry-go-round at a young age?

I don't have an answer and I agree that going to work, paying taxes and expenses associated with living on land means you don't have much left out of your paycheck.

Just for information - Danish personal tax is 56% (highest rate kicks in at about $60k) + 8% flat tax of all income. Add to that realestate tax and 25% VAT and uncounted duties, single point taxes on many goods and you can see the reality here in Denmark.

Of course we do have "free" medical care and "free" universties where our students get paid a salary to study

I could keep ranting but I'm getting depressed
Poor Carsten....... Watch this and be cheered up!

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:23   #28

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Thanks, they do grow so very fast, from this end of the hour glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:30   #29

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Before the heart valve problems etc... It was work, home, and little to no savings. Now that I'm physically broken, I'm less financially broke. The difference is fuel consumption and certain taxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:00   #30
Marine Service Provider

I'm confused by his post, seems like he should have gotten the F*** out of there 35 years ago.

I guess he must be a big time tax cheat to have been able to buy a yacht what with all the oppressive taxation taking all the spare income over the last 35 years

But most importantly, what does a dental cleaning cost?

Tags
price