Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 17-10-2010, 20:04   #1636
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
lol cat ketch--i have a cat on a ketch LOL.. but i am going south and 66 is going to stay in north---
Old 17-10-2010, 20:40   #1637
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
And the cat ketch will be your mate? Or will get you your mate?

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 17-10-2010, 21:11   #1638

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
I'm not staying in the North forever, just for now. LOL
Old 18-10-2010, 03:27   #1639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feral Cement View Post
Alrighty, then - "Single Ninja Non-sailor Seeks Articulate Foil for Intermittent Verbal Sparring."

There's room for everyone here, homie. Why lurk when you can expose each other's preconceptions and contradictions? Great sport, and we have one recent success story.

John
LOL!

Verbal sparring can certainly be mentally stimulating to read here. I skim for the bits that interest me. Should a post drift into polemics, pontification or complaints, it's easy to recognise that and move on with a grin and a shrug. IRL, not so simple.

Really, I'm worse than the wishlisters I've poked fun at. A good (albeit expensive) social headhunter could produce a range of eager and available seaworthy candidates within the dimensions and colour preferences stated earlier. That's reasonable.

But the silent presence, the present silence that's the successful result of slogging through the swamped minefields of becoming a match? Can't be ordered and delivered on trays like five-foot-two forget-me-not-eyed first mates can. If in some alternate reality, a weekend of shared silence could be bought, then a boat with all its inherent tasks seems as good a place as any to savour it. Heck, make it ten days, at least!

(When I described such a what-if scenario to a friend, he said "somehow when a woman says that, it doesn't sound creepy at all.")

Anyway, this forum as a whole has already been a success story, by challenging my prejudices about boat people. Reading a few posters' processes in buying their boats and seeing what I perceive as kindness in several interactions is what did that for me. If you find lurve in this particular thread, more power to you.
Old 18-10-2010, 17:20   #1640

Quote:
Originally Posted by aegean adrift View Post
LOL!

Verbal sparring can certainly be mentally stimulating to read here. I skim for the bits that interest me. Should a post drift into polemics, pontification or complaints, it's easy to recognise that and move on with a grin and a shrug. IRL, not so simple.

Really, I'm worse than the wishlisters I've poked fun at. A good (albeit expensive) social headhunter could produce a range of eager and available seaworthy candidates within the dimensions and colour preferences stated earlier. That's reasonable.

But the silent presence, the present silence that's the successful result of slogging through the swamped minefields of becoming a match? Can't be ordered and delivered on trays like five-foot-two forget-me-not-eyed first mates can. If in some alternate reality, a weekend of shared silence could be bought, then a boat with all its inherent tasks seems as good a place as any to savour it. Heck, make it ten days, at least!

(When I described such a what-if scenario to a friend, he said "somehow when a woman says that, it doesn't sound creepy at all.")

Anyway, this forum as a whole has already been a success story, by challenging my prejudices about boat people. Reading a few posters' processes in buying their boats and seeing what I perceive as kindness in several interactions is what did that for me. If you find lurve in this particular thread, more power to you.
most boat people are just folks on boats--kinda like you only with a different passion. i dont know what ypur passion in life is--we all have one-- i love the sea and my shiplet....that will do me for a bit yet...
i
Old 19-10-2010, 06:52   #1641

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE
Back on the ICW, back on the market

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
So, I'm taking myself off the soul searching market while I explore this opportunity.
Well, that was fun while it lasted, but alas, twas not meant to be. So, I announce my arrival back in the search.

The leaves are turning... heading south.
Doug
Old 19-10-2010, 07:23   #1642
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'
HI Doug! Welcome back. Good luck!

Margo

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
Old 19-10-2010, 09:03   #1643

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Well, that was fun while it lasted, but alas, twas not meant to be. So, I announce my arrival back in the search.

The leaves are turning... heading south.
Doug

welcome back. our leaves dont turn but i am heading south this year as well.. to mazatlan and manzanillo an points south and then east thru canal ...
Old 19-10-2010, 09:28   #1644
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
zeezee when you head easterly what are your plans?
Old 19-10-2010, 09:38   #1645

when i head easterly i wanna go to carib and circumnav that and i was advised by my mommas cousins(mine too,lol) that i NEED to get there--i havent been to see them in many decades... so is past time.. they are in upstate NY--is COLD there in winter, will do that in a warm time...so far, plans are set in warm liquid jello. i also wanna cruise gulf again--in MY boat this time..LOL..was soooo beautiful!!
Old 19-10-2010, 20:02   #1646

Zee there is a side trip I'd love to take in that neck of the woods, it's called the Great Loop. Have you heard of it?

Thomas
Old 19-10-2010, 20:11   #1647

great loop--isnt that the great lakes to atlantic to mississippi area loop?? i met some folks who were doing it when i was in gulf-- sounds like an interesting trip- dont know if i will-- is cold there- i have to hit NY in summer and get out fast--cant get caught up in the NY cold weather--i own no more fur, waah...except gloves..and boots...waaah--with my boat the window is short....
Old 19-10-2010, 20:20   #1648

it can be, but it can also go up the SLS around Prince George Island and down through Maine. You're right though, it might get nippy up there for you, but if you headed over to Chicago and down it wouldn't be bad. There's some great cruising down the Ten Tom etc.
Old 19-10-2010, 20:35   #1649

heard that-- dont know what way i would do that yet--i am still on this side of the world being rained on and cold ,,LOL yay kali!! perfect weather year round!!!!

i figger i would plan that part when i get there and see if i can find crew and where to go with who i can find....and what time of year i get to hudson, NY...is 180ish mi north of NYC
i also have to find out how tall my masthead is from water, and count that in during my plannings....i know i am 6'6 deep-- could be a determining factor also...i have heard both are cool trips-- good scenery and a lot of unique towns and stops along the way-- a friend is in the canadian part of the northeast loop. left michigan in july and is in nova scotia area by oct 15th
Old 20-10-2010, 08:05   #1650
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Having done quite a bit of my offshore sailing in NE in July, all I can say is bring a coat and a scarf if you go solo. Else get a soul mate and feed them beans.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising companion, love, single, soul mate